BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 08:55 PM   #41
ejmccartin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

another thing I found, take the check mark off of the enable hardware flow control box in the configuration form. then you can set your speed to whatever. right now it says I'm connected at 921.6kbps. how's that?
yup, way cool!
Old 10-27-2006, 11:13 PM   #42
peestandingup
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasperapd
I agree with the serious web work... just not good for that. It's not too bad when you have nothing else available, and as long as you're not trying to surf a graphics heavy website. Of course, downloading anykind of a large file isn't the best idea. But I have found it works great when I want to surf this forum from my laptop and there is no Wi-Fi around.
Well, I am getting around 150kbps on my MacBook & I am actually quite surprised how fast websites load, so I think maybe some peoples hardware/browsers may be slowing them down.

My MacBook has 2GBs of RAM & im using a pretty speedy browser (Mozilla's Camino). I even watched a bunch of videos on YouTube & it didnt hiccup once. I tried it on my GFs Dell desktop using IE & it was dog slow.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:33 AM   #43
tchao
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

where is ......enable hardware flow control box in the configuration form
Old 10-28-2006, 09:01 AM   #44
ejmccartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchao
where is ......enable hardware flow control box in the configuration form
on a pc (I don't know macs) go to control panel>network connections then right click on your blackberry dial-up connection>properties on the general tab click on configure. when you uncheck the enable hardware flow control it allows you to choose a larger max speed. I just picked the highest number it had 921600. haven't tested it yet so . . .
Old 10-29-2006, 03:19 PM   #45
razor9000

Model: 8100
Default Error code 692

I've been trying to configure my 8100 to act as a modem for my laptop for 4 hours now without success. 2 calls to T-mobile were not helpful either. Error code 692 persists.

There was no default "standard modem" available after installing the Blackberry Desktop Manager, so I created one using the RIM virtual serial port. I configured the modem to have the extra initialization string <+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"> and ran the diagnostic, which returns:
<ATQ0V1E0 - OK
AT+GMM - BlackBerry IP Modem
AT+FCLASS=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT#CLS=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+GCI? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+GCI=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
ATI1 - Research in Motion / BlackBerry IP Modem
ATI2 - Research in Motion / BlackBerry IP Modem
ATI3 - Research in Motion / BlackBerry IP Modem
ATI4 - Research in Motion / BlackBerry IP Modem
ATI5 - Research in Motion / BlackBerry IP Modem
ATI6 - Research in Motion / BlackBerry IP Modem
ATI7 - Research in Motion / BlackBerry IP Modem
>

I created a new internet connection, specifying "*99#" as the number to dial. I have the desktop manager open (it displays connected) and when I dial I get error code 692. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Old 10-29-2006, 03:35 PM   #46
beaditya

Model: PEARL

I'v been using it from the day i got the data conn ..... works great for viewing the WEB

I even use "Bearshare" P2P client on my laptop with my blackberry data connectionto download MP3's !! ... I get 1mb data/min ..... ie: i download a 5.4mb MP3 in 5 mins !
Old 10-29-2006, 03:37 PM   #47
ejmccartin

I left out the "IP" in the initialization string, worked for me that way.
when you looked for your "standard modem" was the BB connected? don't know if that would change anything or not.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:17 PM   #48
itmediaco

Carrier: tmo

Not sure if this has already been posted...

Directions & modem driver for BB 8100 internet access on Mac OS X (via bluetooth)

http://www.fibble.org/archives/000508.html

I got it to work on my iMac and Powerbook G4. Fantastic deal for T-Mobile users!!
Old 10-31-2006, 04:56 PM   #49
jomolungma

Carrier: TMO
Default Error 720

I'm on TMO and followed all of the directions on this thread to the letter, but still am having trouble. My latest error message is 720: A connection to the remote computer could not be established.

Has anyone had this error and worked around it? I was wondering if the fact that I upgraded to the O2 .64 OS makes any difference? Would I need to revert back to the original .42 OS that TMO ships the phone with? I've also modified the APN setting on the phone, setting it to wap.voicestream.com.

I'm using the *99# phone number, and have +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com" as my extra initialization command. I am not using a username or password when I dial the connection. My phone shows up as "Standard Modem" on COM4, which returns the following when queried:

ATQ0V1E0 Success
AT+GMM BlackBerry IP Modem
AT+FCLASS=? COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT#CLS=? COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+GCI? COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
AT+GCI? COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
ATI1 Research in Motion / BlackBerry IP Modem
ATI2 Research in Motion / BlackBerry IP Modem
ATI3 Research in Motion / BlackBerry IP Modem
ATI4 Research in Motion / BlackBerry IP Modem
ATI5 Research in Motion / BlackBerry IP Modem
ATI6 Research in Motion / BlackBerry IP Modem
ATI7 Research in Motion / BlackBerry IP Modem

However, this matches some of the strings that have been posted above so I don't see any problems here. I've tried connecting with my 802.11 radio turned on and with it turned off. I have Desktop Manager v. 4.2.0.10 open and it says connected. The "network" setting on my phone shows:

Data Services On
Network: T-Mobile
Network Selection Mode: Automatic

My service books are up to date. The only other thing I can think of is that I've installed Opera Mini, Google Maps, Spider Solitaire and am using the BB Dimension Today Plus theme.

I'm really at a loss, unless, like my email issue two days ago, this is a TMO network problem and I just have to wait for it to clear up.

Any help here would be much appreciated. If I missed providing any info that might help, please let me know. Thanks!

Stu
Old 11-01-2006, 12:26 PM   #50
jomolungma

Carrier: TMO
Default Error 720 and 732 Solution for Thinkpads

I spent about 5 hours researching, downloading, installing and rebooting last night, but eventually got my 8100 to work with my ThinkPad T43 as a modem. I have noticed questions posted about these errors, but haven't seen any answers, so I thought I'd post what I did in case it might help someone else.

The 720 solution may only be for, and work on, ThinkPads. This is because I noticed that almost everyone who had a 720 error was using a ThinkPad and read posts indicating that it was possible that some of the IBM ThinkVantage software was responsible for generating the error. The 732 solution might work for anyone, and might not even be a solution - I accidentally happened on something that worked, so I went with it. Thoughts and feedback welcome.

The steps are easy, but long. The first thing I did was to remove the BlackBerry Desktop Manager from my computer and delete the special BlackBerry connection I had set up in Network Connections and remove the special TMO-specific string from the modem entry in Phones and Modems (NOTE: If you remove the BB software first, it will remove the modem from the computer and you won't have to do that last step).

After all BB stuff was removed from my computer, I rad IBM's Software Update Utility. I hate this utility, it inevitably makes matters worse, but I was at wit's end and so ran it. It turned out that the utility said I had a whole lot of updates to perform. I performed every update that it mentioned, which included updates to my modem, my ethernet card, my security softare... even my DVD player. I downloaded and ran them all. It took a long time. To make matters worse, the buggy update utility kept on saying I hadn't installed some of them. It took me actually installing each package, one at a time, rebooting after each installation, before the Software Update utility agreed that I had installed everything. (NOTE: I actually did a complete cold boot for some packages, particularly the ones that made a hardware change. This took a lot of time, but I wanted to make sure I covered everything).

I then ran the System Update utility, which actually found 3 more things that my computer needed. I downloaded and installed those and rebooted.

After IBM stopped telling me I needed to update something (running both Software Update and System Update came back null) I reinstalled the BB Desktop Manager FROM THE DISK THAT CAME WITH THE PHONE. I have no idea why, but it seems that there are differences (real or imagined) between the DM software at the my.t-mobile.com site and the disk. Everything I read said used the disk, so I did. I then rebooted.

Only then did I set up the modem as a network connection using the instructions earlier in this thread. After I set up the network connection I added the TMO string to the Standard Modem (COM4) that represented the BB. I then ran the connection and voila! no more Error 720.

One problem. I got an Error 732. This actually was more promising to me because it was a PPP error which I felt could be resolved through some software settings tweaking. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any info on how to make those changes, or what changes to make, on this board or elsewhere. This was frustrating. I kept on trying the connection, with no username and no password as indicated in this thread and elsewhere (for some reason every time I launched the connection it put my XP username in the username field - I deleted it so that the field was blank), and kept getting the Error 732.

Finally I got so frustrated that I accidentally hit the [ENTER] key instead of the backspace key when I went to remove my XP username from the username field. Amazingly, the connection worked - no more Error 732. I tested the connection and was able to surf. Just to make sure, I disconnected the connection and tried again. I launched the network connection, made sure my XP username was in the username field with the password blank, and it worked again.

I have no idea why, but it seems that the connection required something in the username field, and it may specifically have required my XP account username. I'm not sure, but it works and I'm happy.

And that's my amazingly long solution. I hope it works for you. It requires patience and time, but you'll be happy with the results if it works. It's better than some of the more draconian measures I've seen others take, like formatting their HD or reinstalling Windows.

One last note, make sure any other connection you have going is disconnected when you try to use the BB. I have wireless in my house and made sure I wasn't connected to my home network before trying the 8100 connection. This may or may not be critical, but it was what I did and it may work for you.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Stu
Old 01-01-2007, 02:35 PM   #51
mario8267
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: G1
Carrier: TMobile

This is probably the best feature of this phone!!! Im glad I went with Tmobile and the Pearl!!!
Old 01-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #52
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomolungma
I spent about 5 hours researching, downloading, installing and rebooting last night, but eventually got my 8100 to work with my ThinkPad T43 as a modem. I have noticed questions posted about these errors, but haven't seen any answers, so I thought I'd post what I did in case it might help someone else...

The 720 solution may only be for, and work on, ThinkPads.
Stu
Not sure what all this is about, but all I did with my ThinkPad T40 was to install Desktop Manager from the CD that came with the Pearl [in Sept 2006] and then set up a dial-up/modem connection per the original instructions.

Plugged in the Pearl, pressed "dial" or "connect" and it gave me 115k first thing.

I recently had put in an 80GB hard disk on the ThinkPad and installed drivers manually rather than from an install or rescue disk. Also did all the updates to Windows XP.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:03 PM   #53
ifightants

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

is this only for tmobile? what about cingular?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:41 AM   #54
gmpnyny

Carrier: ATT
Default Modem Set Up Using Cingular

I just got my Pearl yesterday and it seems great. I want to use the modem feature. I am on cingular but cant seem to find the correct info to put in the advanced field in the modem set up. Has anyone done so?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #55
mario8267
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: G1
Carrier: TMobile
Default Re-Connecting??

Ok guys....and gals, I configured my pearl with my laptop perfectly...thanks to everyone's help.....but my question is why does my connection periodically try to reconnect when the pearl is not even hooked up to my laptop. It just keeps attempting to redial, even when I have the redial attempts set to 0. Also, I dont have the blackberry connection setup as my default connection so that isn't the problem. It got so annoying that I had to delete the connection, then re-setup the next time I want to use it? Anyone have a solution?
Old 01-25-2007, 05:14 PM   #56
sahellis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: Hole
Carrier: The New AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmpnyny
I just got my Pearl yesterday and it seems great. I want to use the modem feature. I am on cingular but cant seem to find the correct info to put in the advanced field in the modem set up. Has anyone done so?
I tried them all. The only one I got to work for Cingular was this.
+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.cingular"

Nothing else worked.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:07 PM   #57
purplestallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario8267
Ok guys....and gals, I configured my pearl with my laptop perfectly...thanks to everyone's help.....but my question is why does my connection periodically try to reconnect when the pearl is not even hooked up to my laptop. It just keeps attempting to redial, even when I have the redial attempts set to 0. Also, I dont have the blackberry connection setup as my default connection so that isn't the problem. It got so annoying that I had to delete the connection, then re-setup the next time I want to use it? Anyone have a solution?
Within IE, try going to tools, internet options, connections tab. Select your dial-up connection and click the "never dial a connection" dot. Save your changes. This fixes it for me. It will only try to dial a connection when I tell it to and not when there's no wifi signal or whatever.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #58
Ketchums

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

This picture comes up when I've tried you guys' suggestions...
Old 01-26-2007, 02:57 PM   #59
luskinj

Just want to let you know that I used the instructions in post 1 without the period and it worked. I am posting right now while I'm on the Acela back to New York. Thank you San Francisco.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:12 PM   #60
jonocs

Carrier: t-mobile

Sounds great can i do this with a mac? I have pocketmac installed. thnx
Closed Thread