Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 06:49 AM   #41
Rolo1971
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

I agree with wearing your labels outside is ridiculous!

I am a firm believer that as we get older we need to dress our age. As a 36 yo man I won't shop at Old Navy! (Not that there is anything wrong with this) I work hard for what I have so therefore I'll buy something that will last and what I deserve, Gucci, Prada, Diesel, etc. I am also one who does not live beyond my means and if you have a family of 4-6 then I can see maybe not going out to buy the latest Seven for All Mankind Jeans at $200.

We all work hard and should spoils ourselves with something nice. It's not becoming to see a 40-50 yo professional and educated individual in thrify t-shirts and torn jeans! Unless you are some professional model (George Clooney) doing a Gucci spread!!!

Just an opinion.

Last edited by Rolo1971; 08-28-2007 at 06:57 AM..
Old 08-28-2007, 06:51 AM   #42
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo1971 View Post

We all work hard and should spoils ourselves with something nice. It's not becoming to see a 40-50 yo professional and educated individual in thrify t-shirts and torn jeans! Just an opinion.
So I guess on saturdays I can put on my favorite pair of worn in levis and my favorite 25 year old comfy shirt just because I am 40?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:56 AM   #43
Rolo1971
CrackBerry Addict

Absolutely, you can wear this! Just don't go out on the town like this! Unless you look good

I guess, what I meant is some people looking homeless when they aren't! If you think you'll be the star of "What Not To Wear" on TLC, then I would'nt wear it!
It's all in how you carry yourself. SO you can wear what you want!
Rolo
Old 08-28-2007, 11:17 AM   #44
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High
Carrier: Verizon

So Rolo, just how old are you?
Old 08-28-2007, 11:21 AM   #45
Rolo1971
CrackBerry Addict

Pushing 40! But act like I am 12-30 yo depending on who I am dealing with!
I also feel that growing up I didn't have much and now I am making up for lost time/"things" I didn't have.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:28 PM   #46
Giselle9938
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: none
Carrier: a Cheap company that I'll leave very soon

Is Rolo a guy or a woman???

Ex boyfriend hate "What Not To Wear" and the only guy that watched that show with me was my best friend and he is not the best example of a man lol!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 12:32 PM   #47
Rolo1971
CrackBerry Addict

Well I am man AND don't watch that show but I know what it is. They do show commercials!
Giselle, I bet your best friend knows how to dress too!
Old 08-28-2007, 12:50 PM   #48
Giselle9938
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: none
Carrier: a Cheap company that I'll leave very soon

Quote:
Well I am man AND don't watch that show but I know what it is. They do show commercials!
Giselle, I bet your best friend knows how to dress too!
LOL!

I was just curious and yes he knows how to dress LOL!
Old 08-28-2007, 05:00 PM   #49
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
I agree with wearing your labels outside is ridiculous!

I am a firm believer that as we get older we need to dress our age. As a 36 yo man I won't shop at Old Navy! (Not that there is anything wrong with this) I work hard for what I have so therefore I'll buy something that will last and what I deserve, Gucci, Prada, Diesel, etc. I am also one who does not live beyond my means and if you have a family of 4-6 then I can see maybe not going out to buy the latest Seven for All Mankind Jeans at $200.

We all work hard and should spoils ourselves with something nice. It's not becoming to see a 40-50 yo professional and educated individual in thrify t-shirts and torn jeans! Unless you are some professional model (George Clooney) doing a Gucci spread!!!

Just an opinion.
Rolo, I partially agree with you, but I can tell you from personal experience that the guy who will probably get the best service shopping in a Ferrari dealership will be the 40 yr. old in a t-shirt and jeans, not the guy in a suit. Having said that, I would expect a 40 yr. old man's clothing to fit properly and the shirt to be free of useless graphics (particularly brand graphics).

One facet of being a classy person is knowing that you don't have to flaunt your wealth or try to make yourself look wealthier with your clothing, and that was the original idea behind this thread.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:19 PM   #50
Rolo1971
CrackBerry Addict

DC/DC, I are right. I agree with you. Flaunting is so unattractive for both men and women!
If you look back at GQ covers, most are usually in T-Shirts and jeans.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:37 PM   #51
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
DC/DC, I are right. I agree with you. Flaunting is so unattractive for both men and women!
If you look back at GQ covers, most are usually in T-Shirts and jeans.

There you go.

One other thing I would like to add to this discussion because it is a valid extension of the topic is that owning branded luxury goods is not automatically brand-whoring, and I will use an example from the airport since I spend a good portion of my time there. It is nearly impossible to purchase a product from Louis Vuitton, Coach, or Gucci, for example, and not have their signature branding on it. All three example companies make great luggage and footwear. When I see a man in a t-shirt and jeans with a Louis Vuitton duffel across his shoulder that has some scrapes and scuffs, and he just puts it right up in the overhead bin or under the seat like everyone else, then I know that (barring the bag being a knock-off) he bought it because it is quality luggage, not because it says Louis Vuitton. When I see a woman in a green Victoria's Secret track suit with a Louis Vuitton duffel wrapped in plastic, trudging back to coach class, then that is brand-whoring at it's finest (if I can call it that).

Last edited by dc/dc; 08-28-2007 at 05:39 PM..
Old 08-28-2007, 05:40 PM   #52
Rolo1971
CrackBerry Addict

LOL, That is funny! DC! Because I know exactly those people you are talking about! I see them all the time! BUT you forgot Miss Thing in coach has DIOR sunglasses on INSIDE the plane!
Old 08-28-2007, 07:31 PM   #53
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
LOL, That is funny! DC! Because I know exactly those people you are talking about! I see them all the time! BUT you forgot Miss Thing in coach has DIOR sunglasses on INSIDE the plane!
That's true too. LOL

Not to mention that said glasses are probably very large (you know, the ones with Dior all the way down the arm ) and cover half of the face.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #54
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Pushing 40! But act like I am 12-30 yo depending on who I am dealing with!
I also feel that growing up I didn't have much and now I am making up for lost time/"things" I didn't have.
Ok, I only asked because of the t-shirt and jeans comments. That happens to be my clothes of choice. Or jeans and polo shirt. They don't look crappy or anything, but they are comfortable. I'm married with kids and I really don't dress to impress anyone. Anyway, welcome to the 40's. There are a few of us old guys around here, right ndub?

Now, just don't ask dc about his shoe collection......

Last edited by mriff; 08-28-2007 at 07:35 PM..
Old 08-28-2007, 08:06 PM   #55
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff View Post
Ok, I only asked because of the t-shirt and jeans comments. That happens to be my clothes of choice. Or jeans and polo shirt. They don't look crappy or anything, but they are comfortable. I'm married with kids and I really don't dress to impress anyone. Anyway, welcome to the 40's. There are a few of us old guys around here, right ndub?

Now, just don't ask dc about his shoe collection......
What I always tell my dad, who is 56, is that you don't need to dress to impress others, but do it for yourself.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:43 AM   #56
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Don't dress for the job you have, dress for the job you want! is ye ole saying!

During work and business, I dress professional, look good, always a suit and tie, I don't like the loose color no tie rolled up sleeve work. I can't even tell you where I bought my close from cause I could care less about brand. I like to make a good impression.

Now my "casual" wear, honestly I barely spend money. I can't justify spending $200, heck even $80 for a pair of jeans. Thats nuts, its like diamond rings and jewerly. If I can't use it everyday, then its no use to me. As for my clothes, all i wear is some jeans from anchor blue (LIKE 30 BUCKS) and some plain t-shirts that are like 3 for $25. Of course my gf buys me shirts with funny says on them that I wear, but I cant tell you where its from cause I have no clue. If she spent 50 for a t-shirt, I'd kill her, she knows better.

I do however like I said, guilty of wearing alpinestar clothing line, which is the only thing that I have logos showing. I love their motorcycle gear project so much I bought the clothes.

Now my motorcycle gear on however, I spend lots of money on, cause believe it or not, I spend everyday in it, and I normally get new gear every two years cause I get that much use for it. A full leather suit is the only thing I would justify spending $1200 on, (don't forget my collection of helmets, gloves, boots and everyday riding gear, extra protection). But for a pair of jeans? I don't see any diff in my $30 jeans (which suits my needs and me) vs some $200 jeans.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:52 AM   #57
Rolo1971
CrackBerry Addict

On the other hand, I have to tell you that I have FEW expensive pieces but those were gifts so I didn't spend the $! BUT, having put myself through college working retail (Marshall Field's-Mens suits to Sportswear(polo&hilfiger) and Banana Republic) I've learned NEVER EVER pay full price for something unless you can't live without it or it's a one of a kind item.
I have sports coats that origianlly sold for $400 and paid $60. I am a bargain shopper but I am picky about what I get.
My most recent best purchase was a pair of PRADA Black Boots with an original price tag of $800 on the box and I paid $60! at Filenes Basement!
My mama didn't raise a fool!
And I know the price are as high as one is willing to pay but there are some that do pay the $800 price tag! If they have the $ then more power to them.

Rolo
Old 08-29-2007, 07:13 PM   #58
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
What I always tell my dad, who is 56, is that you don't need to dress to impress others, but do it for yourself.
Hey, it's all about comfort. But like I said, it's not crappy by any means. At least my wife doesn't think so. I'll occasionally get that look that says, 'you're not really going to wear that are you?' Then I know I need to kick it up a notch. (Hate to say this dc, but some of my t-shirts are Liz Claiborne. I like how they fit. )
Old 08-29-2007, 08:17 PM   #59
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff View Post
Hey, it's all about comfort. But like I said, it's not crappy by any means. At least my wife doesn't think so. I'll occasionally get that look that says, 'you're not really going to wear that are you?' Then I know I need to kick it up a notch. (Hate to say this dc, but some of my t-shirts are Liz Claiborne. I like how they fit. )
I agree with you to a certain extent, but I'm here to tell you that you will feel better about yourself if you dress well.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:28 PM   #60
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
I agree with you to a certain extent, but I'm here to tell you that you will feel better about yourself if you dress well.
Nah, really, I dress for comfort. dc, you have kids?