BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 11:09 AM   #41
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

Please Login to Remove!

Go in to Messages and instead of 'Compose Email' you do 'Compose PIN'. The best way to manage PIN contacts and communications is through the BlackBerry Messenger - at least that way if you're busy nobody will hassle you by sending PIN messages directly (which is annoying)!!! The link is on Dawg's signature above!!!!!

Old 09-28-2007, 10:18 AM   #42
onelikeseabass
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

This is an old thread, but I have something worth mentioning.

PIN messages *can* be logged on the BES server. It also can log all phone calls and SMS traffic. Whether or not your BES admin has enabled it to do so is another story...
Old 11-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #43
smcgilli

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell

That is what I was wondering. How do you log the PIN messages on your BES server? There is a log file created called "PINLog" but is has no data in it.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:37 PM   #44
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

How do I enable PIN and/or SMS logging? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 11-16-2007, 04:48 PM   #45
smcgilli

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell

Perfect. Thanks for the info. That was not a really obvious place to look for it. At least, it did not seem obvious to me!
Old 11-17-2007, 12:27 AM   #46
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonews View Post
I as a network engineer and the BES admin, went to bat for our users. This is normally something I don't do as most of the time they whine, complain and just plain ***** over trivial things while all the time never realizing what they do have and the endless days and nights we spend up there to give that to them. All that aside, I went to legal and compliance and told them they really had two choices.

Choice 1: you buy all the devices and pay the service costs for the users, this way we have "ownership" and I'll be glad to impliment any rule you feel needs to be in place.

Choice 2: If you aren't goign to pay for the device but want to allow users to get their mail on them, you have no right to turn anything off, they are their devices etc. Would be much the same as telling them we are locking down their home PC because they have remote access from it, they'd never do that.

So in the end, company won't pay for the the devices, I allow the users to do what they like on them with the understanding if they screw it up it won't be on the top of my list to fix but that it is fixable, so try what you want.

So yea they do jack'em up now and then, however from an IT perspective the users love the devices way more when they can enjoy them to their extent.

You can't make someone buy a blue car or paint their car blue so that everyone at work has the same color car if yer not going to buy their car for them, know what I mean

If the company pays for the device they have every right to lock it down as hard as they want, and they should.

Without ownership the legals will fall on the user, sure the company may get sued as a side effect, but the company is not solely responsible for what happenes on equipment they do not control.

My feelings and my feelings only, the SEC has jacked us so hard so many times it's not even laughable anymore, but in the end, if you want to make money you have to keep the money makers happy
That's an interesting stance. As a network engineer, your first duty is to maintain the company's network, data and security. The users' whishes, whims and demands must be weighed against that.

You might want to think about what would happen if confidential data or information left your network thru a personal device [b]you[/] allowed on the corporate infrastructure. Best case scenario, you lose your job. Worst case scenario, hope you know a good lawyer.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:35 AM   #47
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB View Post
That's an interesting stance. As a network engineer, your first duty is to maintain the company's network, data and security. The users' whishes, whims and demands must be weighed against that.

You might want to think about what would happen if confidential data or information left your network thru a personal device [b]you[/] allowed on the corporate infrastructure. Best case scenario, you lose your job. Worst case scenario, hope you know a good lawyer.
I wouldn't expect a response to this from that user...
You're replying to a post that is 2 and a half years old.
Their last post was in June 2005. ;)
Closed Thread