Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 12:36 PM   #61
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

The documents you linked to earlier suggest that filing is supported. If its not it's a huge step backwards. That is not true full reconciliation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
I did find a way to stop the Web Client being the default sending address. Options->Advanced Options->Message Services then select whatever default you want.

I've been testing the IMAP portion of the new BIS and its a good news/bad news story. If you create a Sent folder in your IMAP account, sending from your BB using this email account will automatically save a copy. No need to Auto-BCC

However, whatever folders you have on the IMAP account cannot be accessed on the BB nor can you file any messages including POP accounts. Also if you have a Trash folder, items deleted on your BB (IMAP) will be placed there.

Wonder why RIM didn't implement folders for IMAP in the new BIS?
Old 04-10-2006, 12:50 PM   #62
mistermix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
The documents you linked to earlier suggest that filing is supported. If its not it's a huge step backwards. That is not true full reconciliation.
Agreed. Maybe future editions will allow subscribing to a (limited set) of folders and let us file into those folders. That would be a huge step forward.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:54 PM   #63
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
I totally agree. I've tried twice setting up an IMAP account and the results are the same. When you are in the message icon associated with the configured account (on the BB) there's no Filing option for a given message. And selecting View Folders only shows the old Web Client stuff (from BIS 1.8). I had created 3 folders on the IMAP account and none of them show on the BB.

Somewhat disappointing. I was hoping to access my remote folders from my 7130.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:00 PM   #64
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Quote:
I totally agree. I've tried twice setting up an IMAP account and the results are the same. When you are in the message icon associated with the configured account (on the BB) there's no Filing option for a given message. And selecting View Folders only shows the old Web Client stuff (from BIS 1.8). I had created 3 folders on the IMAP account and none of them show on the BB.

Somewhat disappointing. I was hoping to access my remote folders from my 7130.
Just sent you a PM. Have you tried sending a new service book from the new BIS. Doesn't make sense that the old folders show up. The documents you linked before suggest filing is spported.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:19 PM   #65
whsbuss

Quote:
Just sent you a PM. Have you tried sending a new service book from the new BIS. Doesn't make sense that the old folders show up. The documents you linked before suggest filing is spported.
Sent you a reply.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:20 PM   #66
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Just got a note from deezmfunutz re Tmobile's BIS.

He states that IMAP level support applies to "sent" and "trash" only. No support otherwise, and no provision in the BB OS for IMAP subfolder browsing/filing as far as he can tell.

Where does that leave us: WITHOUT FULL RECONCILATION LIKE ON BES. This is not what I had hoped for.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:02 PM   #67
whsbuss

Quote:

He states that IMAP level support applies to "sent" and "trash" only. No support otherwise, and no provision in the BB OS for IMAP subfolder browsing/filing as far as he can tell.

Where does that leave us: WITHOUT FULL RECONCILATION LIKE ON BES. This is not what I had hoped for.
Well its definately not what I hoped for. I guess they feel that POP reconcilation is a hugh step forward. I really wanted to be able to have access to my remote folders in IMAP.

Also, did you notice in the documentation that BIS 2.0 only allows for up to 5MB of message size. It says messages larger than 5MB must be read on the client mail server. Will we even get a notification that it arrived? NOT GOOD!
Old 04-10-2006, 03:21 PM   #68
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Well its definately not what I hoped for. I guess they feel that POP reconcilation is a hugh step forward. I really wanted to be able to have access to my remote folders in IMAP.

Also, did you notice in the documentation that BIS 2.0 only allows for up to 5MB of message size. It says messages larger than 5MB must be read on the client mail server. Will we even get a notification that it arrived? NOT GOOD!
I think it will be the same with POP email too. No folders to reconcile. Boo Hoo
Old 04-10-2006, 03:30 PM   #69
whsbuss

Quote:
I think it will be the same with POP email too. No folders to reconcile. Boo Hoo
You are correct. Regardless of whether you forward to the BB or integrate with POP/IMAP you cannot file messages. You can only save a copy.

Sad....
Old 04-10-2006, 03:35 PM   #70
deezmfnutz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: STORM
Carrier: vzw

Quote:

All in all BIS 2.0 is a HUGE step forward guys, it is way better than the BWC. Maybe RIM will make full IMAP sub-folder integration and wireless contact/calander sync possible with Yahoo! in their next major release of the BIS? However, as of now there is only limited IMAP and POP subfolder support, but it is still better than than the old BWC.

The MAJOR drawback with the new BIS is the message size limitation, this is a MAJOR pain in the ass, and the biggest problem with the new BIS. What whubuss states above is true. Large message attachments will not be pushed to the handheld, not even in a truncated form. This is a big problem as you will all soon see. It has been a problem for me and RIM needs to address the problem. They should at least send a truncated form of the email sans attachment so that you know to check your hosted email account to retreive the attachments. Anyways, I have been using the new BIS on tmobo since october-november of 2005 and with the exception of the large attachment problem it has been a great improvment. Enjoy your new BIS vzw customers!
Old 04-10-2006, 03:40 PM   #71
deezmfnutz

Quote:
You are correct. Regardless of whether you forward to the BB or integrate with POP/IMAP you cannot file messages. You can only save a copy.

Sad....

Well remember that if you use a forwarding solution you will retain ZERO subfolder support e.g. no ability to move messages to trash or automatically put a copy of sent messages into the server side sent message folder. With IMAP at least you will have the ability to do server side trash and sent message manipulation. Also with IMAP you get smart reconciliation of message read-unread status. After evaulating the pros and cons of the new BIS back in november of 2005 I switched from my gmail filter-forward set-up to individual IMAP account set-up. It works just fine, and the added feature of full FROM: field spoofing is an absolute KILLER FEATURE.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:43 PM   #72
deezmfnutz

Quote:

Just to be 100% clear I have not been able to get IMAP subfolder (outside of sent and trash) support to work; however, that does not mean it is not possible.........if it is possible I just have not been able to figure it out. Anybody else out there with ideas?
Old 04-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #73
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezmfnutz
All in all BIS 2.0 is a HUGE step forward guys, it is way better than the BWC. Maybe RIM will make full IMAP sub-folder integration and wireless contact/calander sync possible with Yahoo! in their next major release of the BIS? However, as of now there is only limited IMAP and POP subfolder support, but it is still better than than the old BWC.

The MAJOR drawback with the new BIS is the message size limitation, this is a MAJOR pain in the ass, and the biggest problem with the new BIS. What whubuss states above is true. Large message attachments will not be pushed to the handheld, not even in a truncated form. This is a big problem as you will all soon see. It has been a problem for me and RIM needs to address the problem. They should at least send a truncated form of the email sans attachment so that you know to check your hosted email account to retreive the attachments. Anyways, I have been using the new BIS on tmobo since october-november of 2005 and with the exception of the large attachment problem it has been a great improvment. Enjoy your new BIS vzw customers!
I can agree with your statement regarding the new BIS being better that the BWC(ver 1.8). But as you point out the file size limitation could really be a problem as more carriers switch over. RIM needs to at least notify the BB that a larger than allowed message is awaiting on the server.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:52 PM   #74
whsbuss

Quote:
Well remember that if you use a forwarding solution you will retain ZERO subfolder support e.g. no ability to move messages to trash or automatically put a copy of sent messages into the server side sent message folder. With IMAP at least you will have the ability to do server side trash and sent message manipulation. Also with IMAP you get smart reconciliation of message read-unread status. After evaulating the pros and cons of the new BIS back in november of 2005 I switched from my gmail filter-forward set-up to individual IMAP account set-up. It works just fine, and the added feature of full FROM: field spoofing is an absolute KILLER FEATURE.
When forwarding before the upgrade, you could at least file it on the BWC in named folders (although it added to your 25MB allotment). Now you don't have that capability. I do like the fact that with IMAP sent messages are kept on the remote server so you don;t need the Auto-BCC. But without subfolder filing capability, its a weak implementation.

The only feature that makes the upgrade worthwhile is the full FROM spoofing.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:57 PM   #75
whsbuss

Quote:
Just to be 100% clear I have not been able to get IMAP subfolder (outside of sent and trash) support to work; however, that does not mean it is not possible.........if it is possible I just have not been able to figure it out. Anybody else out there with ideas?
I have confirmed that in my IMAP testing..... I wonder why the documentation states message filing is possible when it clearly is not. Does the Yahoo implementation w/T-mobile work with subfolders? We know the Yahoo account will notify the BIS when messages arrive so Yahoo email gets sent in real-time.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:57 PM   #76
deezmfnutz

Quote:
I can agree with your statement regarding the new BIS being better that the BWC(ver 1.8). But as you point out the file size limitation could really be a problem as more carriers switch over. RIM needs to at least notify the BB that a larger than allowed message is awaiting on the server.
I agree 100%. It is a major problem that has made me look stupid with clients, it is annoying to the extreme; especially since I rely so heavily on my BB as a universal email device polling from 7 different email accounts....it does everything else so well that I only rarely actually log into the parent email servers.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:59 PM   #77
deezmfnutz

Quote:
When forwarding before the upgrade, you could at least file it on the BWC in named folders (although it added to your 25MB allotment). Now you don't have that capability. I do like the fact that with IMAP sent messages are kept on the remote server so you don;t need the Auto-BCC. But without subfolder filing capability, its a weak implementation.

The only feature that makes the upgrade worthwhile is the full FROM spoofing.
Once you start using it you will appreciate just how nice full FROM: field spoofing is, especially if you have multiple email accounts.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:02 PM   #78
deezmfnutz

Quote:
I have confirmed that in my IMAP testing..... I wonder why the documentation states message filing is possible when it clearly is not. Does the Yahoo implementation w/T-mobile work with subfolders? We know the Yahoo account will notify the BIS when messages arrive so Yahoo email gets sent in real-time.
NOPE I can not get subfolder support with my yahoo accounts using tmobo's BIS. It would be nice to have, again maybe it will be implemented in the next BIS upgrade?
Old 04-10-2006, 05:09 PM   #79
whsbuss

Quote:
NOPE I can not get subfolder support with my yahoo accounts using tmobo's BIS. It would be nice to have, again maybe it will be implemented in the next BIS upgrade?
I created Sent Items and Deleted Items as subfolders on my IMAP account. When I send from the BB a copy is placed in the Sent Items folder. However, when I delete the sent email on my BB it does not reconcile on the IMAP server. AM I doing something wrong?
Old 04-10-2006, 06:14 PM   #80
deezmfnutz

Quote:
I created Sent Items and Deleted Items as subfolders on my IMAP account. When I send from the BB a copy is placed in the Sent Items folder. However, when I delete the sent email on my BB it does not reconcile on the IMAP server. AM I doing something wrong?
On my IMAP accounts, the messages marked for server sided deletion by my BBhandheld are automatically placed into the default server side trash folder. My trash folders are set to auto delete every 30 days on my IMAP accounts. No need to set up a special delete subfolder. The same thing holds true for my yahoo accounts as well. The items marked for server side deletion are placed into the default server-side trash folder. The messages are not purged until the trash folder is either manually purged or schedule purged by the IMAP or Yahoo!Mail server.

I have not found a way to direct messages into server side subfolders of any kind with the exception of the default server-side sent and trash folders.

make sense?
Closed Thread