BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 01:37 PM   #61
Snyder81
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

I upgraded our BES test server to 4.1 from 4.0SP4 and the server installed fine, but MDS had errors which were not helpful in diagnosing the problem. Unfortunately, I've lost all MDS capability for the time being on the test server. This upgrade isn't touching the production environment until more people have success with MDS. I just want the plain vanilla MDS for surfing the web and doing certificate lookups for S/MIME. Is that too much to ask?
Old 03-13-2006, 01:52 PM   #62
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Can you go back to 4.0 SP4 on the Test server and then upgrade to 4.1 with the basic BlackBerry Enterprise Server installation? Just want to see if you get the same thing I do (and what you want).
Old 03-13-2006, 02:45 PM   #63
cbass98
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100t
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rica1234
Ok I think I may be going totally mad. I have upgraded to 4.1 in the trial version and for the life of me I cannot get the LCS OTA or interactive installs to work. I have changed all the .asp files to express the directory where located and it just tells me it can't find the page when I follow the link to install the Blackberry Enterprise Messenger. I can live with that, so I follow the directions on how to load it through Device Manager and it tells me there is no software designed for my device. I have moved the .alx and .cod files to the same dir. I was tinkering with the Push OTA install and the apploader reindex just wouldn't find it. Maybe the files in the Trial .zips are corrupted. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Which BB are you using? I tried installing the lcs client on a verizon 7130e and got the same "no s/w designed for your device" error. Went to a 7100t, and it installed jsut fine. Maybe RIM just doesn't have a compatible client for your BB...
Old 03-13-2006, 02:46 PM   #64
cbass98

By the way, I did a fresh install of BES 4.1 with MDS and got 2 non-fatal errors on the MDS install as well. However, I ran Blackberry manager and noticed MDS was "running."
Old 03-13-2006, 02:53 PM   #65
cbass98

Okay, now I need some help. MDS and LCS says it's "running" but when I try to log in on the client, it says "Please contact your system admin to enable this service" Huh?
Old 03-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #66
rica1234

Carrier: TMobile

cbass,
I'm using the 8700c. Its just strange because if i pull it up from a local drive with all the same directory structure it opens the jad in internet explorer. Yet when i do the OTA installs it says it cannot find the files. I think i'll give up until I find a nice peace of literature that explains it further. Thanks for you help.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:15 PM   #67
cbass98

Quote:
cbass,
I'm using the 8700c. Its just strange because if i pull it up from a local drive with all the same directory structure it opens the jad in internet explorer. Yet when i do the OTA installs it says it cannot find the files. I think i'll give up until I find a nice peace of literature that explains it further. Thanks for you help.
try extracting the contents of the lcs.zip file to your local PC. launch desktop mgr>app loader> then load the .alx file. See if it lets you install or says "no apps found for your BB"
Old 03-13-2006, 03:19 PM   #68
jibi
BlackBerry God

I just figured out something concerning MDS and my upgrade. Since the BlackBerry Manager lumps the two together, to an extent, it may very well be that when I selected LCS for the Collaboration service, it may have installed a base MDS installation as well.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:20 PM   #69
BlackBerryLinks
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone

Known Issues - MDS services installation fails
Last Updated: 13 March 2006
Article Number: KB-04954
Summary

This article applies to the following:

* BlackBerry Enterprise Serverxxx8482; 4.1
* BlackBerry Mobile Data Systemxxx8482; (BlackBerry MDSxxx8482;)
* Microsoftxxx174; Data Engine (MSDE)
* Microsoft SQL Server
* SDR80935

Problem

The BlackBerry MDS Services installation fails.
Cause

You are using an MSDE or SQL Server with a Named Instance as the data source.
Workaround

Install BlackBerry MDS Services without using a Named Instance.

This is a previously reported issue that has been escalated internally to our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:50 PM   #70
jibi
BlackBerry God

There's a few other MDS-related installation KB articles as well.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:25 PM   #71
cbass98

I think I've narrowed down my problem as to why I can't get LCS to work. Here is what the LCS log file says:

<2006-03-13 17:21:36.203 -05:00>:<ERROR>:[9]:<TID 37 AppPoolThread #29>:<OpenPrivateQueue exception>
System.Messaging.MessageQueueException: Message Queue service is not available.
at System.Messaging.MessageQueue.Create(String path, Boolean transactional)
at LCSConnector.Connector.OpenPrivateQueue(String hostName, String queueName, Boolean createIfNotExist)
<2006-03-13 17:21:46.250 -05:00>:<INFO >:[10]:<TID 37 AppPoolThread #29>:<OpenPrivateQueue>

Anyone have a clue as to how I can fix that?
Old 03-13-2006, 07:04 PM   #72
jibi
BlackBerry God

Guys, BEFORE you install or upgrade the BES, please do the following ...

READ THE MANUAL!

System requirements for the BlackBerry Enterprise Server

Checklist: Operating system requirements - See Page 12

Quote:
Install Microsoft Messaging Queue (MSMQ) version 3.0 (required for Microsoft Live Communications Server support).

Note: If you install MSMQ separately from Windows Server 2003, clear the default Active Directory Integration and Triggers subcomponents and select only the Common subcomponent.
RIM went through a LOT of trouble to put together these nice little 'checklists' for us to mark off. Print them out and put checks and/or highlight when you complete the tasks, sequentially.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:13 PM   #73
phonemonkey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerryLinks
You are using an MSDE or SQL Server with a Named Instance as the data source.
Workaround

Install BlackBerry MDS Services without using a Named Instance.

This is a previously reported issue that has been escalated internally to our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available.
This is pretty dumb. A named instance as the default SQL setup is pretty common in Win 2003 SBS if you are also using SharePoint.

If this is what was causing 4.1 MDS to be sad, I hope it will be fixed soon. But getting the install completed and then having the MDS BlackBerry Router info blank in Manager still seems fishy... like there's another problem aside from SQL.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:23 AM   #74
cbass98

If only it was that easy, I do have it already installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
Guys, BEFORE you install or upgrade the BES, please do the following ...

READ THE MANUAL!

System requirements for the BlackBerry Enterprise Server

Checklist: Operating system requirements - See Page 12

RIM went through a LOT of trouble to put together these nice little 'checklists' for us to mark off. Print them out and put checks and/or highlight when you complete the tasks, sequentially.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:57 AM   #75
cbass98

I've finally resolved the LCS issue. Seems as though the MSMQ service was being run under the local admin machine account, whereas it should have been started under the domain\blackberry login account. Once I changed it, everything was working sweet. Thanks to jibi for his help.

Oh btw, I did a fresh install of BES this morning. You do NOT need to install it with MDS to get LCS working. And there definetely is a "light" version of MDS installed because I can surf intranet web pages (no apps deployed to test).
Old 03-14-2006, 02:46 PM   #76
jibi
BlackBerry God

odd. mine is running as LocalSystem.

and thanks for the tidbit on fresh installation. i'm very curious if LCS will work with the MDS Connection service stopped and disabled. i believe it should, but i'm not really sure. i'll test that out tonight. it should be independent of MDS.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:24 PM   #77
cbass98

So I added 2 more users to our test bes 4.1 server. Immediately, they got the same error I got before ""Please contact your system admin to enable this service." So, we wiped the handheld and reactivated and reinstalled the client. Still no go. Eventually, I found out that those 2 users didn't get their IT policy pushed to them. I re-pushed it down to them, and it started working. So maybe the MSMQ service was not the issue after all... either way, at least I've got it working. Now I'm scared to do the upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1...
Old 03-15-2006, 02:06 PM   #78
rica1234

Carrier: TMobile

I finally figured it out. It turns out my Desktop Manager was running 4.0.1 which doesnt seem to want to connect to the 4.1 java correctly. Installed 4.1 and it was all gravy from there on. I gave up on the Web installs and pushed out the apps wireless which worked flawlessly. I just made the change that jibi suggested with removing the directory from the .alx file. We are up and running in the test area with multiple users and no issues. Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:22 PM   #79
jibi
BlackBerry God

FYI, SMS/PIN/Phone auditing is for BOTH incoming AND outgoing messages/calls. It synchronizes against the local handheld databases for each of those services. Outbound and Inbound body/subject content is logged for any user assigned to that policy group. The documentation states that its only for 'messages users send from' and 'phone calls users make'. Call me naive, but that seems to imply outbound.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:57 PM   #80
cbass98

Quote:
I finally figured it out. It turns out my Desktop Manager was running 4.0.1 which doesnt seem to want to connect to the 4.1 java correctly. Installed 4.1 and it was all gravy from there on. I gave up on the Web installs and pushed out the apps wireless which worked flawlessly. I just made the change that jibi suggested with removing the directory from the .alx file. We are up and running in the test area with multiple users and no issues. Thanks for all your help.
I actually figured this out today as well. I was gonna post, but you beat me to it.
Closed Thread