pwc realtor
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: 2421DDCB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
This was not the correct thread to post your issue in, pwc realtor, this thread is about users SIM cards being completely disabled while using OS 4.5.

UMA is not working perfectly on any of the OS 4.5 beta releases. You can expect issues for the time being. Yours is a beta OS issue (4.5 tragedy? Is a beta software supposed to work perfect, isn't this where those approved users test the software to see what will work and what won't work, report back, test and try again, make adjustments, rinse and repeat, adjustments, rinse and repeat?).

It is one thing to seek help here but please, be realistic about what you are doing...

And you might want to downgrade your OS before you hit the TMo store tomorrow. Running a unreleased OS on your BB can void a warranty.

But good luck. You might really ought to downgrade to an OS that works so all this won't be so "tragic".
I guess i forgot to mention that downgrading to 4.2.2.180 did not solve anything so that takes out the premise that it is a a completely OS-depend issue
Old 05-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #62
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Yea, details details. So neither is it a OS 4.5 issue.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:58 AM   #63
notesboy

PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile

I wonder if rim has taken this up with tmobile? Cos this is going to drive clients away and this makes reliability a whole new question again and this time its causing hardware (SIM) failures and also costing clients money. Even if upgrading the OS voids the warrenty TMOBILE has no right to kill SIM cards
Old 05-29-2008, 08:11 AM   #64
mpbushard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotburnttoast View Post
Sim card #2 killed after 3 days, on 4.5.0.37, gonna get a new sim card and roll back 4.5.0.18
I killed my second Sim card after 4 days running 4.5.0.37...have you had any problems running 4.5.0.18 now...I reluctantly went back to 4.2 to wait and see what is going on with T-Mobile and this Sim card issue...
Old 05-29-2008, 08:13 AM   #65
conmetal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8220
PIN: ........

I've been running BETA OS's for the past 5 months on a 8310 & 8320 with Tmobile. 4.5.0.37 has been installed on both since initially posted on the 22nd and no problems at as of yet. Well other than no UMA on the 8320, but I don't need it anyway with unlimited BIS.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:34 AM   #66
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by notesboy View Post
I wonder if rim has taken this up with tmobile? Cos this is going to drive clients away and this makes reliability a whole new question again and this time its causing hardware (SIM) failures and also costing clients money. Even if upgrading the OS voids the warrenty TMOBILE has no right to kill SIM cards
au contraire, but RIM and TMobile do have the right to disable a device using their illegally gotten beta software. Yes they do.

Do I like that it is happening? No, but you can't deny a developer the right to protect their property which we are using on our devices. The hardware is not corrupted, just access to their TMo and RIM network using an unreleased Operating System.

Oh and welcome to the BBForums. Enjoy your time here.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #67
cyberhound

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t, less bars in less places

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
au contraire, but RIM and TMobile do have the right to disable a device using their illegally gotten beta software. Yes they do.

Do I like that it is happening? No, but you can't deny a developer the right to protect their property which we are using on our devices. The hardware is not corrupted, just access to their TMo and RIM network using an unreleased Operating System.

Oh and welcome to the BBForums. Enjoy your time here.
Don't know that they are behind it, but if they are, don't you think it's a pretty drastic measure, and a measure thats not going to build good will among their loyal customers. I would tend to think that one who would risk running a beta os would tend to be a member at one of these boards and probably a bb fanatic to some degree. So I don't see how frying sim cards is the best pr move. Is the os their property, yes. Can they do it? Yes. Do they have the right to do it? Most likely, yes. Those things aren't debatable, but if frying sim cards is their way of handling things, it's a pretty stupid move in my opinion. Why not a simple message from RIM or T-Mo to cease use or we will deactivate within a certain time period?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #68
Handly

Default UMA the cause?

First, this is also happening to RIM partners on T-Mobile who have legitimate access to the beta code, so don't assume that everyone with the problem is some sort of pirate.

I have heard a possibility that 4.5.0.37 shipped without some internal code that calls back to RIM to register the beta. So what may be happening is that RIM/T-Mobile are detecting the new install as a hacked/stolen copy.

Another theory I have is that this is related to the UMA issues with this release. This is a total guess, but maybe the SIM card gets deactivated somehow when the phone tries to set up the UMA connection. This would explain why it is a T-Mobile specific problem.

The good news in any case - this is the purpose of beta testing. It sucks for those of us who have to replace SIMs, but at least we are all one step closer to a general release.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #69
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handly View Post
First, this is also happening to RIM partners on T-Mobile who have legitimate access to the beta code, so don't assume that everyone with the problem is some sort of pirate.
We're only going by what we know, and those who have posted here.

None of those with "legitimate" access have either posted here or at least identified themselves as having legitimate access to the beta code (at which point I would bet they would be speaking with RIM rather than reporting it to the forum here ), so, I do assume those reporting it here do have a pirate copy of the beta OS.

And it is fine with me that they do. I am not RIM.

And yes it is unfortunate, whether it is a function of UMA activation of corporate protection.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:03 PM   #70
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Default Speculation - another possibility?

I was all set to try out .37 until I read this thread... :(

I was pondering, though, about what might be causing this. Reading through the entire thread, the problem doesn't seem especially consistent, except that TMo folks (and I am one!) report the problem the most.

One possibility came to mind, that I don't think was mentioned on the thread:

Isn't this new version, when released, supposed to support OTA OS updates? Reading the posts here, I wondered if perhaps T-Mobile and RIM were in the process of firing up the back-end components that will support OTA OS updates. If so - and the process isn't totally clean yet, it's conceivable that a SIM might be munged somewhere in the process of having the BB talk to the back end server, share and compare OS version info, and possibly be writing info back to the SIM of some sort.

Or - it could just be a bug in this release that only surfaces under certain conditions that some have experienced, and others have not. Cold be that simple.

I think either of these is more likely than a secret plan by RIM or TMo to disable the SIM. Think of this scenario: somebody installs .37 on their BB, and goes off to use it. A few days later, the user's car breaks down on a deserted highway, 20 miles from the nearest telephone or gas station. There's a T-Mobile tower within a thousand feet, but - as the theory has been suggested here - T-Mobile decides at that very moment to punish the user and disables the SIM before a call can be made for help...

Sure - one can argue that the beta OS shouldn't have been loaded in the first place. But I also suspect that T-Mobile wouldn't want to deal with the fall out that could come from a case like this. If they really wanted to simply block you, but not put you at risk, they could simply keep the phone and SIM active, but only allow you to call 611 (customer care). They have this capability today, and will generally use it when a bill goes unpaid too long. I cannot believe they would take the chance of putting a customer at risk when they have risk-free alternatives at their disposal already.

Maybe something IS happening to the SIMs, but if so, I suspect it is not intentional.

- Jon

...and of course you've all left me with a dilemma: to load .37 on my unlocked AT&T 8300, which I use on T-Mobile, or not... :(
Old 05-29-2008, 11:01 PM   #71
sarahnkids

Model: 8100
Carrier: t mobile

Question for those who SIM card was fried.. did you delete the vendor.xml files before you installed .37??
Old 05-29-2008, 11:07 PM   #72
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Welcome to BBF.

The presence or lack thereof of the vendor.xml file would have no bearing on that since it has no bearing on what is loaded to the device. It only tells Desktop Manager whether or not to load the OS at all.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:40 AM   #73
hotburnttoast
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: Unique 8-character hexadecimal ID number assigned to all BlackBerrys

Wirelessly posted

After replacing 3 sim cards with TMO using .37, I can conclude this is probally a glitch in the software, and is somehow damaging the sims. Not once has anybody from TMO said a word after replacing any of these sims. I have since downgraded to .18 and all is good. I would like to hear what other people are thinking about this.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:46 AM   #74
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotburnttoast View Post
Wirelessly posted

After replacing 3 sim cards with TMO using .37, I can conclude this is probally a glitch in the software, and is somehow damaging the sims. Not once has anybody from TMO said a word after replacing any of these sims. I have since downgraded to .18 and all is good. I would like to hear what other people are thinking about this.

My Sim fried while on .18, maybe it's 4.5 in general. But I'm running .18 again, see if it will happen again. HOpe not

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 05-30-2008, 07:49 AM   #75
black betty
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: PRICK
Carrier: TMO/AT&T
Default Keep wifi off.

Just curious, do you guys with this sim problem have wifi turned on?. I am on tmo w .37 on my 8320 and have had no issues. I have disabled wifi. there might be a correlation between all the sims burning out and uma. it just might be a security feature in this build. I would be curious to find out the amount of sims being replaced since the release of .37 maybe they are just tweeking this security feature. Jsanders please be kind and sensitive when you correct me.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:54 AM   #76
cdecker196

Model: 7290
Carrier: AT&T

I just had my SIM replaced yesterday dropped down to 4.2. But while on .37 I had wifi on the whole time. UMA was not working.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:20 AM   #77
Mill1978

Model: 9550
PIN: 311BAFD7
Carrier: Big Red

My sim kicked the bucket yesterday (4.5.37). Think it's a os problem. My buddy works in the pda department at tmo and said they're not hunting for the beta OS's.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #78
boxmeister

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Default Network issues relating to 3G more likely cause than OS blockin'

Despite plausibility of BB or Tmo deactivating SIMs, I think this has nothing to do with OS. I have a more likely scenario: The recent upgrades in Tmo's network to 3G is causing un-intended issues with SIM cards frying. This may be occuring on non-BB devices, or may be specific to particular BB/OS, but I have reason to believe this is more likely. When at&t upgraded to 3G in (undisclosed market), particular areas went through large quantities of SIM inventory due to network glitches. Other areas did not. I got to watch these numbers personally, it was beyond statistically significant. The issue went away with the same generation of SIM cards/same devices after the network issues were fixed on the affected towers. If a similar phenomena is occuring with Tmo, it is likely that these beta testers might switch back to 4.2 with a new SIM card and feel that they have "fixed" their issue, when it's really a network issue that got fixed. That's my 2 cents on the issue.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:00 AM   #79
haggisgirl

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by muck View Post
i have replaced my simcard with os4.2. it could jsut be luck of the irish.
And the Scottish. My sim bit the dust yesterday on drive home. Pulled battery, reset BB, etc., etc. Consistently said "Initialization failed" at top of screen. Pulled sim, BB rebooted, software installed seemed to work (well some didn't without the sim). Put the sim in another phone--nothing.

I'm on T-Mobile and WAS using 4.5.37.

So I purchased a new sim and am downgrading as we speak.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #80
CBR900RR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmeister View Post
Despite plausibility of BB or Tmo deactivating SIMs, I think this has nothing to do with OS. I have a more likely scenario: The recent upgrades in Tmo's network to 3G is causing un-intended issues with SIM cards frying. This may be occuring on non-BB devices, or may be specific to particular BB/OS, but I have reason to believe this is more likely. When at&t upgraded to 3G in (undisclosed market), particular areas went through large quantities of SIM inventory due to network glitches. Other areas did not. I got to watch these numbers personally, it was beyond statistically significant. The issue went away with the same generation of SIM cards/same devices after the network issues were fixed on the affected towers. If a similar phenomena is occuring with Tmo, it is likely that these beta testers might switch back to 4.2 with a new SIM card and feel that they have "fixed" their issue, when it's really a network issue that got fixed. That's my 2 cents on the issue.

Can people with fry sim post there location
Closed Thread