Old 09-05-2008, 09:31 AM   #61
shampoo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Telus

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKidd View Post

I believe those users seeing their "about 2 minute" deliveries are just seeing the typical 15-minute poll with incremental ~4-minute poll as BIS's IMAP servers have always encountered.

--Kidd
It's possible but I've been checking the sent headers and arrival times for several days and all are coming in, in under 2 minutes, often under 30 seconds.

So I am pretty sure IMAP IDLE is now being supported.

J
Old 09-05-2008, 10:15 AM   #62
AlexKidd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪

I want to be put on the "privileged list". Any idea who I call to make that happen? LOL

--Kidd
"Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God" (Mark 10:27)."
Old 09-05-2008, 10:38 AM   #63
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
I've been a very long-time T-Mobile customer with BIS service. My server is Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 SP2 and am 100% sure it supports IMAP IDLE since I tested it by manually connecting with TELNET. I am not getting IMAP IDLE connections from BIS servers. I'm remote connected to the Exchange server and looking at IMAP logs and current network connections over "netstat" and nothing from RIM other than the standard 15-minute polling.

I logged into T-Mobile BIS, deleted my account and recreated the mailbox. Same thing.

I believe those users seeing their "about 2 minute" deliveries are just seeing the typical 15-minute poll with incremental ~4-minute poll as BIS's IMAP servers have always encountered.

--Kidd
I'm using Exchange 2007 with AT&T BIS and I'm seeing messages come across on the BB as soon as I push send.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #64
GrandMstrBud

Model: 9780
PIN: 2075BBB4
Carrier: Carrier

Quote:
I've been a very long-time T-Mobile customer with BIS service. My server is Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 SP2 and am 100% sure it supports IMAP IDLE since I tested it by manually connecting with TELNET. I am not getting IMAP IDLE connections from BIS servers. I'm remote connected to the Exchange server and looking at IMAP logs and current network connections over "netstat" and nothing from RIM other than the standard 15-minute polling.

I logged into T-Mobile BIS, deleted my account and recreated the mailbox. Same thing.

--Kidd
I'm pretty sure ours exchange is also as I see e-mails instantly when on an IMAP connection. I won't be able to check the BIS part until I get my new BB. With IMAP on the BIS can you see all the folders with that or just the inbox and sent items?
Old 09-06-2008, 05:40 AM   #65
shampoo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I want to be put on the "privileged list". Any idea who I call to make that happen? LOL

--Kidd
There are two elements to this. The first is the carrier, the second your mail provider.

If you just want to know which privileged list to get on (for sh*ts and giggles) open up a Gmail account, set it to IMAP then add it to BIS. If mail arrives in under 30 seconds, then the problem isn't your carrier but it's your mail provider. In which case, you might never get IMAP IDLE.

J
Old 09-06-2008, 05:46 AM   #66
shampoo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
Yep working fine now. I have both gmail and google hosted accounts setup IMAP and push is within 20 sec. from arriving in the inbox.
Just out of curiosity and offtopic (sorry) but why did you choose Google hosted during the time that IMAP IDLE wasn't supported and not use Yahoo Small Business ? They support full reconciliation of email and at near real-time.

I have both accounts and am a bit torn. I really dislike the Yahoo interface but I loved the reconciliation.. Once IMAP IDLE was supported I left.. But I am curious as to why you never tried Yahoo.. Or did you ?

Thanks

J
Old 09-06-2008, 07:07 AM   #67
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Quote:
I've been a very long-time T-Mobile customer with BIS service. My server is Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 SP2 and am 100% sure it supports IMAP IDLE since I tested it by manually connecting with TELNET. I am not getting IMAP IDLE connections from BIS servers.
Two recommendations:

1) Check if BIS uses pop3, not imap, to access your server;

2) Check again today and tomorrow if may be you started to get IMAP IDLE connections. No, seriously: one of my blackberries now on IMAP IDLE, it was not yesterday.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:09 AM   #68
Berry One

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
How do I find out if our exchange server supports IMAP idle?
Ask your exchange server administrator.

Another option is telnet to exchange server and see what it tells, more details if it here: Feet up! : mobile/Easy-Push.html
Old 09-06-2008, 07:58 AM   #69
infinus
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800

Mine just turned on today!!!! I've sent myself 7 messages so far over a 10 minute span, all pushed down within 20 seconds.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #70
AlexKidd

Woo hoo!!! Mine is working now!

--Kidd
"Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God" (Mark 10:27)."
Old 09-06-2008, 08:05 AM   #71
AlexKidd

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoo View Post
There are two elements to this. The first is the carrier, the second your mail provider.

If you just want to know which privileged list to get on (for sh*ts and giggles) open up a Gmail account, set it to IMAP then add it to BIS. If mail arrives in under 30 seconds, then the problem isn't your carrier but it's your mail provider. In which case, you might never get IMAP IDLE.
Shampoo - I said that I own and operate the mail server itself. I am 100% certain the server suports IMAP IDLE. That's a helpful reference for somebody else, but I clearly pointed out that the problem was RIM's mail collection servers were not utilizing IDLE.

No foul because it looks like they finally got my account as of this morning because I'm not seeing IMAP IDLE connections.

--Kidd
Old 09-06-2008, 08:19 AM   #72
coldconfession13
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9550
PIN: 30fd8208
Carrier: Verizon

Does anybody know if earthlink supports IMAP?

http://www.blackberryfaq.com
Old 09-06-2008, 03:07 PM   #73
mpallo

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

This is working great for me. I have a simple cPanel hosted account. Previously I was sending a copy of all of my email to my @tmo.blackberry.net account so that I had instant delivery. Still had to wind up deleting email in Outlook or my webmail but it was worth it to get the instant delivery.

Now I have the email setup through the BIS and am still letting the fowarded email come through and comparing the delivery times. Fowarded email comes through immediately and anywhere from 5-25 seconds later the IMAP sync copy will come through.

I emailed my web host and they confirmed they are supporting IDLE. In fact the tech guy at my host said he is also utilizing this with his BB as well.

I am happy.

Last edited by mpallo; 09-06-2008 at 03:09 PM..
Old 09-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #74
shampoo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Shampoo - I said that I own and operate the mail server itself. I am 100% certain the server suports IMAP IDLE. That's a helpful reference for somebody else, but I clearly pointed out that the problem was RIM's mail collection servers were not utilizing IDLE.

No foul because it looks like they finally got my account as of this morning because I'm not seeing IMAP IDLE connections.

--Kidd
Glad you appreciated the effort.

J
Old 09-07-2008, 12:24 AM   #75
GrandMstrBud

Model: 9780
PIN: 2075BBB4
Carrier: Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One View Post
Ask your exchange server administrator.

Another option is telnet to exchange server and see what it tells, more details if it here: Feet up! : mobile/Easy-Push.html
I'm pretty sure it's setup that way, I know I have push e-mail setup on there or it was all setup when I started. Now I can't wait to get my device back to try it out.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #76
negrobizzle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: ATT
Default working with ATT

i got my 8820 imaping with gmail, getting about a 15-20 second delay to receive email, which im happy with

in case anyone is having problems, be sure to disable POP. after I did this imap emails started comin in much faster
Old 09-08-2008, 12:32 PM   #77
dharari
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Today, the BIS servers established IDLE sessions with the remaining Blackberry accounts on our mail server. We have 5 Blackberries and the IDLE sessions are there. Mail is being delivered without delay. Our domain is hosted on our own server and is not gmail or Google hosted.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #78
whsbuss

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharari View Post
Today, the BIS servers established IDLE sessions with the remaining Blackberry accounts on our mail server. We have 5 Blackberries and the IDLE sessions are there. Mail is being delivered without delay. Our domain is hosted on our own server and is not gmail or Google hosted.
I seen the same here and on gmail. Push is almost instant. Looks like RIM is rolling out the IMAP-IDLE feature across their BIS infrastructure.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #79
Snatcher

Model: 8310
Carrier: Tim Brazil

Instant Imap Idle push was working flawlessly for me since two weeks ago approx. on my company's mail.

Reading the news I converted all my google hosted accounts for IMAP, and testing it, they pushed.

Until today. It seems all IMAP idle pushing is off for all my accounts and reverted to polling.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #80
Abbsta
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: vodafone UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by negrobizzle View Post
in case anyone is having problems, be sure to disable POP. after I did this imap emails started comin in much faster
lol every time I disabled POP and added Gmail to BIS, POP got enabled again. It was driving bananas until I came across this guideline for setting up IMAP on BlackBerrys and now all is good. POP is now disabled and IMAP all the way baby.
Closed Thread