Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:06 PM   #61
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Probably because they don't allow for manually switching networks and the 3g switch is included in that setup. It doesn't make sense to me either, but the switching availability is definitely in the sim provisioning for the BB.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #62
Horizon Wireless
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 9920
PIN: 3218B513
Carrier: ROGERS AND FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by estabulla View Post
They (AT&T) allow it on the iPhone (i.e. the ability to disable 3G)....I wonder why they would not on the Bold.
Carriers are a strange bunch. Why would Telus allow Windows mobile users to stream video, and not allow BB users to do the same up until recently? Who knows what the reason is. I have a feeling Troy and JC are right. Its probably written in the OTF (one time flash) (same flash the vendor ID is written as well as the splash screen and the UMA). Along with the ATT SIM card.

Last edited by Horizon Wireless; 10-26-2008 at 09:19 PM..
Old 10-27-2008, 07:29 AM   #63
sroetter
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDBrown View Post
AT&T has always locked the option to change carrier on a BlackBerry. This option is actually in the SIM. They have locked the 2G & 3G option as well.

If you get the device unlocked and insert a Rogers SIM the option will return while the Rogers SIM is inserted. Upon returning to the AT&T SIM the option will be locked.

There is a long history with AT&T and this lock. The only way to remove the lock would be for AT&T to make the change on their network.
I have a Rogers Bold running .167 with an ATT SIM card. I cannot change carriers but I do have the option of 2G, 3G, or 2G & 3G.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #64
Mark_Venture
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile (w) - Verizon (P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 View Post
So we need someone with an ATT branded Bold and an ATT SIM and see if switching themes brings back the maps icon and 2G/3G options. If the answer is no then I believe Troy would be correct.

For what it is worth, I just spoke to a RIM engineer I know and he is going to pull this device on Monday and see what is in fact happening.
I have an AT&T Bold with an AT&T Sim in my desk drawer at work. I'm working from home today... If I get a chance, I'll head over to the office and try it.. Otherwise, I'll do it tomorrow.

But I did look for this when I first got the device and couldn't find the option to force 2G...

-> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all
Old 10-27-2008, 10:43 AM   #65
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

Wirelessly posted (8300)

So even unlocking the device, the option to use edge is restricted by att sim? Any one know how much/where a cheap unlocked rogers can be obtained. I find this to be a big issue.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:48 AM   #66
jimfraser

Model: Q10
Carrier: Rogers

I was in south Florida last week on the AT&T network with my Roger's Bold. I was considering upgrading the firmware/OS (particularly since Rogers has an update) but decided not to on the eve of my trip since e-mail access while away from Canada was esential and I have not experienced any notable problems in Canada with the original firmware/OS. Big mistake!!! My Bold would not work on the AT&T 3G network for more than a minute before spontaniously rebooting. In the brief time between one of the reboots, I was able to (fortunately according to this Thread) turn my network settings on my Rogers Bold to 2G only. If I wasn't able to turn to 2G only, my Bold would have been useless while on the AT&T network!!
I am about to upgrade to the latest frimware/OS now that I am back and can get BES re-authorization after installing the latest OS.
Given that 3g is a relatively new technology (at least in North America), it seems stupid to prevent going to 2G only, particularly if problems arrise with 3G.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:04 PM   #67
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroetter View Post
I have a Rogers Bold running .167 with an ATT SIM card. I cannot change carriers but I do have the option of 2G, 3G, or 2G & 3G.
Second this but on TMobile, for what it's worth!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #68
cinnamincandie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile

how is the bold on tmobile network?
Old 10-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #69
Mark_Venture

Carrier: T-Mobile (w) - Verizon (P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
I have an AT&T Bold with an AT&T Sim in my desk drawer at work. I'm working from home today... If I get a chance, I'll head over to the office and try it.. Otherwise, I'll do it tomorrow.

But I did look for this when I first got the device and couldn't find the option to force 2G...
Sorry, I didn't make it in to the office until today...

on my AT&T Bold with AT&T sim... Under network options, I see only two things... Data Services and Mobile Network.

The 3 line of "network selection" as shown in the shot in Post #4 is not on this AT&T Bold.

-> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all
Old 10-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #70
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamincandie View Post
how is the bold on tmobile network?
Works pretty good. I have the browser wifi issue (can only surf the web if on wifi, but i dont surf much anyway and use wap settings for applications, so im good there), but besides that, pretty good!! I can pickup TMo EDGE when in KC which is a blessing, certain areas of the city sucked when I was passing thru!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:19 PM   #71
cinnamincandie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlackberryBoy View Post
Works pretty good. I have the browser wifi issue (can only surf the web if on wifi, but i dont surf much anyway and use wap settings for applications, so im good there), but besides that, pretty good!! I can pickup TMo EDGE when in KC which is a blessing, certain areas of the city sucked when I was passing thru!
thanks for responding i won a bold and i was going to sell it.but i will receive it after at&t launches it n the 4th. it's locked to at&t so i was planning on unlocking it and keeping it. i read in another forum that somebody worked out the browser issue and the mms.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:10 AM   #72
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamincandie View Post
thanks for responding i won a bold and i was going to sell it.but i will receive it after at&t launches it n the 4th. it's locked to at&t so i was planning on unlocking it and keeping it. i read in another forum that somebody worked out the browser issue and the mms.
PM me if you know how to fix that because I thought the underlying issue was that TMo does not have service books for the browser. I am screwed probably until TMo gets a Bold (which wont happen) or 9000 series device that has the browser service books I need. I wouldnt be able to "borrow" AT&T's!
Old 10-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #73
EricScott
Thumbs Must Hurt

I know it isn't totally kosher to post links to that other forum but this post is pretty interesting...guy has both an unlocked Rogers Bold running the latest AT&T software on AT&T and an AT&T Bold w/ the AT&T software on AT&T. He does pretty detailed battery comparisons between the AT&T bold w/ no network mode option (in other words 2G/3G) and the Rogers Bold on 3G only mode. According to him the AT&T Bold blows the Rogers bold away both in terms of battery life and rendering speeds on webpages.

Who knows, it is just one guy's opinion, but very comforting to hear. I for one was thinking of trying to get an unlocked Rogers rather than the AT&T version just to have the 3G only option.

I know this doesn't help those of you who wanted to force 2G only mode.

retract statement 48 hours later.. - PinStack.com Forums
Old 10-29-2008, 10:18 AM   #74
Treatz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricScott View Post
I know it isn't totally kosher to post links to that other forum but this post is pretty interesting...guy has both an unlocked Rogers Bold running the latest AT&T software on AT&T and an AT&T Bold w/ the AT&T software on AT&T. He does pretty detailed battery comparisons between the AT&T bold w/ no network mode option (in other words 2G/3G) and the Rogers Bold on 3G only mode. According to him the AT&T Bold blows the Rogers bold away both in terms of battery life and rendering speeds on webpages.

Who knows, it is just one guy's opinion, but very comforting to hear. I for one was thinking of trying to get an unlocked Rogers rather than the AT&T version just to have the 3G only option.

I know this doesn't help those of you who wanted to force 2G only mode.

retract statement 48 hours later.. - PinStack.com Forums

ineresting read

it's all about perception and opinion
I"m not saying his opinion is wrong, and i'm not saying it's right

taking what he said, a Rogers Bold, Unlocked running AT&T .167 and network left @ 2g/3g auto should preform the same. it's the same network, same OS, same battery and same hardware.

the only difference to the AT&T users is that if they invested in a ROgers bold they don't have to go and dump it and buy an at&t bold. why?

You can have an "at@T" bold by loadint the at&t os on your UL rogers bold, and you can also have the benefit of 2g/3g manual selection.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #75
EricScott
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treatz View Post
ineresting read

it's all about perception and opinion
I"m not saying his opinion is wrong, and i'm not saying it's right

taking what he said, a Rogers Bold, Unlocked running AT&T .167 and network left @ 2g/3g auto should preform the same. it's the same network, same OS, same battery and same hardware.
Agreed. It should.

Quote:
the only difference to the AT&T users is that if they invested in a ROgers bold they don't have to go and dump it and buy an at&t bold. why?

You can have an "at@T" bold by loadint the at&t os on your UL rogers bold, and you can also have the benefit of 2g/3g manual selection.
Totally agree. All else being equal I would rather have the option and would therefore rather have the Rogers Bold. However, since I don't currently have the Bold yet, it doesn't seem like it would be worth the extra cost to try to get an unlocked Rogers vs. an AT&T Bold, if the likely outcome is that I am better off leaving the setting on 2G/3G. Plus I'm not 100% sure I'm even going to keep my Bold - once the Storm comes out I am going to get one and try it out for a couple of weeks and decide which one to keep.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:12 PM   #76
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Default RTFM - note on battery conservation.

Right out of the manual - read the battery power comment

Change the connection speed for the wireless network
A faster connection speed requires more battery power.
Depending on your wireless service provider, you might not be able to change the connection speed for the wireless network.
1. In the device options, click
Mobile Network.
2. Change the
Network Mode field.
3. Press the
Menu key.
4. Click
Save.

Last edited by Stinsonddog; 11-01-2008 at 12:16 PM..
Old 11-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #77
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

This sounds like something that is not getting loaded due to the vendor coding of the device. It's possible that ATT wants you using the 3G if at all possible and isn't giving you the option to change it. The manuals are written with disclaimers that say that not all options are available on all carriers. It's something you probably have to take up with ATT.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:25 PM   #78
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Sounds like a nutjob to me. DOH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
This sounds like something that is not getting loaded due to the vendor coding of the device. It's possible that ATT wants you using the 3G if at all possible and isn't giving you the option to change it. The manuals are written with disclaimers that say that not all options are available on all carriers. It's something you probably have to take up with ATT.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #79
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlackberryBoy View Post
PM me if you know how to fix that because I thought the underlying issue was that TMo does not have service books for the browser. I am screwed probably until TMo gets a Bold (which wont happen) or 9000 series device that has the browser service books I need. I wouldnt be able to "borrow" AT&T's!
HowTo: Get All Features (WAP Browser, MMS) Working on T-Mobile USA with Unlocked Bold - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
Old 11-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #80
JG in SB

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog View Post
We are going to see. I am going to have mine unlocked by HorizonWirelessOnline.com - Horizon Wireless, The World&rsquo;s Cellular Repair Center ß when my IMEI gets in the database and then I will report back. What you suggest would be a new devlopment. They have used Service Books - eg ATT pushes a blank SB for BB Maps.
I am purchasing an AT&T Bold with AT&T's approved OS at my local AT&T store tomorrow. I am then immediately sending in the horizon for an unlock code. I'll report my results as well.
Closed Thread