SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfilora
Definately do not recommend this. If you search around this forum you'll find that replacing the trackball is probably not a "pop-in pop-out" type of thing.
This is a correct statement, not because one cannot easily remove the trackball assembly, but because the parts are super fragile.

As I can tell, the part that would break on too many removals would be the plastic ring that looks like it is metal. It is held in place with some little plastic tips that are easily broken under stress, e.g., constant removing.

And that is if you are careful. If one is not careful, I can see the tips snapping off. I recall some Member in here saying that is what happened to him.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:54 AM   #62
dshearon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
I could not get the pic right, that is, to show it is a rectangle led that sits flush with the surface.
Actually, there are 4 LED's (Red, Green, Blue, and White) they are located around the contact. Two of them are visible and are pointed out by the blue arrow.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:10 AM   #63
brfilora
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshearon
For those of you that want a different color.... pop the trackball out and color it with whatever color sharpie marker you want....

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/4...0169es7.th.jpg

DShearon...Care to share in detail how you did this? You make it sound so easy that I might even consider it...

Also...I'll repeat the conviction that I've already heard on here a number of times...that I'm bewildered as to why there is no option to change the trackball color...Especially if there are 3 different colored Led's under there....
Old 02-08-2007, 10:25 AM   #64
kathrynhr

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Actually, there are 4 LED's (Red, Green, Blue, and White) they are located around the contact. Two of them are visible and are pointed out by the blue arrow.
If this is the case, could someone make his trackball blue, green or red by switching one of those LEDs with the white one? Or is the regular trackball light separate from the LEDs? I can't tell from the photos.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:09 AM   #65
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Yeah, my bad. That's what I get for editing while watching the news. As said before, the rectangle is the LED, not the square chip I pointed to.

I'm going to make a video of the others lighting.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 02-08-2007 at 11:58 AM..
Old 02-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #66
SanFrancisco

4 LEDs lit up on an incoming call.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #67
SanFrancisco

Default Changed Trackball Color

OK, while I had the trackball off the phone, I took a blue Sharpie marker and simply colored over the LED in the lower right corner, the white one that lights the trackball.

Gave it two coats and let it dry for about three minutes.

Great result. Now my trackball has a nice blue tint to it.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 02-08-2007 at 12:00 PM..
Old 02-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #68
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynhr
If this is the case, could someone make his trackball blue, green or red by switching one of those LEDs with the white one? Or is the regular trackball light separate from the LEDs? I can't tell from the photos.
The LEDs are soldered onto the board. But check out the Sharpie solution. Works great.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:05 PM   #69
kathrynhr

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

I like the look of that blue one, SF.

Someone should sell sets of trackballs, each one a different color, so people can swap them out as they like.

I think a black light looking one would rock!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #70
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynhr
I like the look of that blue one, SF.

Someone should sell sets of trackballs, each one a different color, so people can swap them out as they like.

I think a black light looking one would rock!
It does not show well, but the trackball now has a blacklight glow to it. [I have blacklights so I have the "glow" to compare it too].

Truth be told, I did not know what would happen when I took a Sharpie to the LED, thought the liquid might get into the LED circuitry and fry it. But it worked out.

If one can follow directions on removing the trackball [and putting it back together], my initial review of the Sharpie method is to go for it.

Kind of funny how the mysteries of the Pearl are being revealed over time.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:12 PM   #71
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
It does not show well, but the trackball now has a blacklight glow to it. [I have blacklights so I have the "glow" to compare it too].

Truth be told, I did not know what would happen when I took a Sharpie to the LED, thought the liquid might get into the LED circuitry and fry it. But it worked out.

If one can follow directions on removing the trackball [and putting it back together], my initial review of the Sharpie method is to go for it.

Kind of funny how the mysteries of the Pearl are being revealed over time.

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/bpsharpie.jpg
Seems like a simple enough solution but I am still skeptical of trying it.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:55 PM   #72
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonbomb1987
Seems like a simple enough solution but I am still skeptical of trying it.
Well like I said, I was surprised it worked as well as it did. There is good saturation and the tint is just right.

Also, I suspect that the Sharpie ink could be cleaned off with a tissue on the end of a Q-Tip handle, with some denatured alcohol or Windex.

The alcohol took off the Sharpie reference mark I made on the chrome colored bezel before taking it off the Pearl. So seems it will come off the LED too, if I want to change it to another color.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #73
dshearon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Well like I said, I was surprised it worked as well as it did. There is good saturation and the tint is just right.

Also, I suspect that the Sharpie ink could be cleaned off with a tissue on the end of a Q-Tip handle, with some denatured alcohol or Windex.

The alcohol took off the Sharpie reference mark I made on the chrome colored bezel before taking it off the Pearl. So seems it will come off the LED too, if I want to change it to another color.

I definately like the idea of coloring the led instead of the ball like i did. it would be a lot easier to get even coverage. I colored the ball and went over it lightly with an alcohol wipe to even it out. great idea.... this is going to spread like crazy.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #74
metsfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

I wonder how cutting up something like this would work: MaxiAids.com - Tinted Plastic Reading Sheets, Set of 6

The full set is out of stock, but the individual colors are available.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:36 PM   #75
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan
I wonder how cutting up something like this would work: MaxiAids.com - Tinted Plastic Reading Sheets, Set of 6

Seems like a viable idea, but its gonna be hard to keep the piece from moving around in there. I also have a question for the ladies of this forum. I am really keen to try the sharpie on the LED trick an wanted to know how good nail polish remover is at taking the sharpie color off of the LED if i dont like it or wanna change the color. I am a 19 year old male who know diddly squat about makeup. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #76
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonbomb1987
Seems like a viable idea, but its gonna be hard to keep the piece from moving around in there. I also have a question for the ladies of this forum. I am really keen to try the sharpie on the LED trick an wanted to know how good nail polish remover is at taking the sharpie color off of the LED if i don't like it or wanna change the color. I am a 19 year old male who know diddly squat about makeup. Thanks in advance.
I think nail polish remover may be too harsh. I suspect that the led lens or cover is made of plastic. Many nail polish removers "liquefy" plastic and fog up the surface.

Like I said in the other posts, I think denatured alcohol will clean it fine.

I made a mark with a Sharpie on the chrome colored plastic retaining ring so I could know which way to insert or reinstall it. After the job, I took some denatured alcohol and it took the mark off instantly.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #77
bryanus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: t-mobile

Just saw this thread and thought I'd try it. Mine is red. Was easy enough. I just carefully pried off the outer ring with a pen tip and colored the LED.

The only way I can think of to remove the color would be to take a Q-Tip barely dipped in fingernail polish and carefully wipe off the coloring.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:52 PM   #78
xXSilentScreamXx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmobile

cant i access the led just by disassembling the pearl? cause i dont wanna mess with all the prongs and such

Old 02-08-2007, 05:53 PM   #79
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan

I originally mentioned the idea of putting some film in there, such as that you provided the link to.

On closer examination of the led lights, they are not recessed. The are little rectangles that sit about 1 to 2 mm above the circuit board surface.

I suspect that it might be difficult to get the film to stick to the surface, so to cover the LED. There is not much room in there.

I'm telling you, that Sharpie works perfect. I was very surprised that it did. I thought the ink color might not be dense enough to show the color through the light.

It's amazing how perfect it turned out. The trackball is bright, the color saturated throughout and it looks like the trackball came that way.

It's actually a fun thing to do.

Maybe if I have time I will post a video and how to on removing the trackball, etc. I cannot recall seeing anyone having posted detailed instructions.

If you decide to try this before I make the "how to" just be very, very careful on handling the parts. Like I said before, the plastic ring that looks like metal is very easy to break the tips that hold the ring in place on the Pearl and trackball.

Also, have a little bowl to place the parts into as you work. It is real easy to misplace them or knock them on to the floor.

SUPER WARNING: When removing the retaining ring [the chrome plastic part that surrounds the trackball, place one hand over the Pearl while using the screwdriver to "pop up" the ring. I say this because when I did it one time I did not do this and the ring popped off and flew on to the floor. Luckily only took me two minutes to find it.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:00 PM   #80
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSilentScreamXx
cant i access the led just by disassembling the pearl? cause i don't wanna mess with all the prongs and such
It's very easy to access the led.

You take the chrome retaining ring off, then the inner retaining ring. Both these easily come off.

Then turn the Pearl upside down, give a slight tap and the trackball will pop out. You may want to gently pry the trackball assembly partially out before turning it over to pop it out.

Also, if you have tweezers you can simply pull the assembly out that way.

Note: The trackball assembly stays in one piece unless you disassemble it so no need to worry about that.

Once the assembly pops out, have at the LED.

Bonus Tip: Before popping off the retaining ring [the chrome one] make a small mark at 6:00 so you know that that is the direction to place the ring for reinstall. If you do not do this, I guarantee it will be difficult to find the correct direction and you may end up trying to jam the ring in which if in the wrong direction will result in breaking the tips that hold the ring in place.
Closed Thread