Old 02-08-2007, 10:35 PM   #61
7100simpleisbetter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile

Please Login to Remove!

here are my two cents:

First the basic functionality is pretty good. I mainly tested the music player and here are my notes.

1. Up/Down scrolling between functions was disabled and required exit and restart to regain full control.
2. I listen to podcasts and found that the fast forward function did not work effectively. I tried clicking the track position indicator and scrolling right to FF but when i clicked to select the spot to start it would revert to the beginig of file. Also, when scrolling FF the track time was not displayed so I could get to a spot I wanted.
3. This has been mentioned but two problems with volume; a) it is not persistent, if the song is changed it goes back to max volume, b) hardware volume controls don't manage volume.

Interface is nice though and all controls are well laid out on the screen and play list on the same scree is nice. Maybe some skins in the future would be nice also but that should wait til all bugs are worked out of functionality.

Finally, someone noted that a quicker way to get to apps would be nice, I would suggest allowing user to configure the start up screen for the app (home, music, notepad, vnote, explorer). Then instead of the GoTo to get to set of apps to switch to, just list Home, Explorer, Music to move around within the app.

Thanks for the nice work and all of us in search of the perfect apps appreciate the effort and dollar5's willingness to solicit and consider feedback.
May even be worth forking over some moila (if its reasonable $20 or less) for a more robust version.

Regards,
7100sib.....a proud 8100 owner since 9/2006
Old 02-08-2007, 11:43 PM   #62
zimbu1234
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

I don't know how i feel the layout, particularly for the media player. It just inst very intuitive. I gave up on it after a few days. I really haven't used the Pearl for mp3s and video but when i get my seidio adapter maybe i will reinstall.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:42 AM   #63
dollars5

Model: 8100
Carrier: Airtel
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7100simpleisbetter
here are my two cents:

First the basic functionality is pretty good. I mainly tested the music player and here are my notes.

1. Up/Down scrolling between functions was disabled and required exit and restart to regain full control.
2. I listen to podcasts and found that the fast forward function did not work effectively. I tried clicking the track position indicator and scrolling right to FF but when i clicked to select the spot to start it would revert to the beginig of file. Also, when scrolling FF the track time was not displayed so I could get to a spot I wanted.
3. This has been mentioned but two problems with volume; a) it is not persistent, if the song is changed it goes back to max volume, b) hardware volume controls don't manage volume.

Interface is nice though and all controls are well laid out on the screen and play list on the same scree is nice. Maybe some skins in the future would be nice also but that should wait til all bugs are worked out of functionality.

Finally, someone noted that a quicker way to get to apps would be nice, I would suggest allowing user to configure the start up screen for the app (home, music, notepad, vnote, explorer). Then instead of the GoTo to get to set of apps to switch to, just list Home, Explorer, Music to move around within the app.

Thanks for the nice work and all of us in search of the perfect apps appreciate the effort and dollar5's willingness to solicit and consider feedback.
May even be worth forking over some moila (if its reasonable $20 or less) for a more robust version.

Regards,
7100sib.....a proud 8100 owner since 9/2006
Thanks for the words of appreciation and valuable feedback.

Yep, I have to agree, using the player gauge to adjust/set song position is broken - we initially thought of disabling it, but let it live when we released as suggested by some of our beta testers. For quick launch of apps - there is a settings value that you can decide which module to launch on startup. (menu option-> settings -> on launch goto: select/change the drop-down choice)

We have been a relatively new entrant into the end-user market, and our vision to make mobile applications affordable to all so sure the price will be less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbu1234
I don't know how i feel the layout, particularly for the media player. It just inst very intuitive. I gave up on it after a few days. I really haven't used the Pearl for mp3s and video but when i get my seidio adapter maybe i will reinstall.
Hi, it would be great and kind of you if you could provide some valuable feedback on how to improve the UI or how do you like it. Actually many have appreciated the UI being different and intuitive compared to the regular BB applications. We are open for suggestions and eager to make the applications meet your requirements. My personal opinion would be is to use and suggest us how to improve as it is a beta product for now. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. And be promised we are working on professional version which have a enterprise class UI (I will post screen shots sooner as it becomes ready and available for release - so now it just remains as internal/closed beta)

Thanks all for your interest with our product and suggestions.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:13 AM   #64
denied3smplwds
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T Mobile

I had just downloaded the program, and the digital music player program is a little difficult to deal with, it might be easier if I try it out more but its not flying all too hot for me. Another prick in the side for me, is the fact the side toggle for volume on the normal media player doesn't work now at all for the volume on this program. Thats a big ease factor that is a little bit of a turn off for me, but maybe ill learn to love this program! Thanks by all means, ill be sure to use it and ill be sure to keep leaving little things I like or dislike.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:56 AM   #65
dollars5

The volume control using the side convenience keys is not implemented, but we are considering to use other keypad buttons 'QW' for min volume and 'OP' for max volume (as RIM does not allow to program the side convenience volume buttons :( )

Regarding the UI - if you could suggest us with some ways to improve it - we are open to implement it for you. We would love to make the application better and give you ease of use.

Regards,
Dollars 5.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #66
zimbu1234
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:

Let me clarify.

Like I said its not very intuitive. I am typically a sucker for new apps whether it be Windows or Blackberry, but if they aren't easy to figure out without a manual, then I lose interest.

I tried loading mp3's, creating playlists, etc. And i felt like I had to click way too many times to create the playlist. Not good for the Pearl button. The other three components really did not interest me. I think most people are using it for the mp3 player. Since the mp3 player isnt easy to use I lost interest.

I am sure with feedback from other beta testers who have more patience than me, the app itself will evolve into something great. I just do not have the time or patience. I do not even really use it for mp3s yet, but when i get an adapter next week, maybe I will and will try again.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:16 AM   #67
dollars5

Sure, you should try it out. We will try to ease the experience with lesser clicks in the future versions
Old 02-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #68
jfgoofy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Dollars5:

In the users guide the following is stated:

multiPlay is provided to users as personal edition which is free for non-commercial use. This personal edition has many features locked and is an un-optimized implementation. For full featured, optimized version a user is required to purchase a professional edition license from Dollars 5 Complete website at Dollars 5 Complete or by contacting [email address]

Can you brief us on what is not included or "locked" between the personal and professional version.

Best regards,

Jason
Old 02-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #69
7100simpleisbetter

dollar5, thanks for the location of the startup app, that will help and I didn't see it.

One other note that I would recommend, until you find some hardware keys to implement for managing the volume, move the MP3 controls (Play, Pause, Stop, etc) closer to the volume control so I don't have to scroll through a 50 song playlist to get from MP3 controls to Volume control. If there are hardware buttons for volume this would likely become a non-issue because I would use those instead of having to scroll to the volume controls. This is especially problematic since the volume control is not persistent at this time.

Keep at it though, I think the fact that someone is trying to develop a better MP3 player for the Pearl is great, the native player is fair and does the trick but some more bells, whistles and a new look is also nice.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:52 PM   #70
dollars5

Some features that are available to professional edition users are:
1] Optimized code for better performance. (Our testing reveals 30.8% better performance w.r.t to memory usage, speed and background performance together with other applications)

2] They all come as separate applications rather than as bundled single application.

3] Ability to set destination folder and file naming.

4] mediaPlayer: unlimited playlists creation, better button positions for easy access of functionalities.

5] vNotes: Longer recordings (tested for a maximum of 1:30 hrs), Immediate preview of recordings and selectable list of recordings.

6] txtNotes: unlimited files creation, exporting all memo items as text files.

more features to be listed at the time of product announcement. (You can expect some news from us next week related to this)

More important is the customer support - email and community forums based support.

Regards,
Dollars 5.

Last edited by dollars5; 02-09-2007 at 05:01 PM..
Old 02-09-2007, 05:01 PM   #71
zimbu1234
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollars5
The volume control using the side convenience keys is not implemented, but we are considering to use other keypad buttons 'QW' for min volume and 'OP' for max volume (as RIM does not allow to program the side convenience volume buttons :( )

Regarding the UI - if you could suggest us with some ways to improve it - we are open to implement it for you. We would love to make the application better and give you ease of use.

Regards,
Dollars 5.

Better Volume control would be huge. Why did you decide to make the Media Player also play videos?
Old 02-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #72
dollars5

Smile

Quote:
dollar5, thanks for the location of the startup app, that will help and I didn't see it.

One other note that I would recommend, until you find some hardware keys to implement for managing the volume, move the MP3 controls (Play, Pause, Stop, etc) closer to the volume control so I don't have to scroll through a 50 song playlist to get from MP3 controls to Volume control. If there are hardware buttons for volume this would likely become a non-issue because I would use those instead of having to scroll to the volume controls. This is especially problematic since the volume control is not persistent at this time.

Keep at it though, I think the fact that someone is trying to develop a better MP3 player for the Pearl is great, the native player is fair and does the trick but some more bells, whistles and a new look is also nice.
The professional edition will have quicker fixes while the personal edition will have slow implementation - but all bugs will be fixed.

Here is a small preview of the professional edition screenshot - we will try to accommodate similar functionalities asap to the personal edition multiPlay too.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:10 PM   #73
dollars5

Smile

Quote:
Better Volume control would be huge. Why did you decide to make the Media Player also play videos?
Playing videos we are considering to add it to the current player itself as an upgrade - but EST is unknown and we cannot promise this feature as of now.

And note the volume control bug that affected the phone calls and other applications is fixed and would soon be available for public release - probably on Monday itself.

How do you like the new UI for the professional version - we are open for feedback.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:28 PM   #74
7100simpleisbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollars5
Playing videos we are considering to add it to the current player itself as an upgrade - but EST is unknown and we cannot promise this feature as of now.

And note the volume control bug that affected the phone calls and other applications is fixed and would soon be available for public release - probably on Monday itself.

How do you like the new UI for the professional version - we are open for feedback.
I like the layout of the professional version. It puts the volume and MP3controls together but I am hoping to have hardware buttons mapped but overall the UI looks a little cleaner if the bugs get worked out I may purchase if the price is right.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:22 PM   #75
dollars5

Smile

Quote:
I like the layout of the professional version. It puts the volume and MP3controls together but I am hoping to have hardware buttons mapped but overall the UI looks a little cleaner if the bugs get worked out I may purchase if the price is right.
Sure we would try to do our best to satisfy our users. Actually there seems to be good interest for multiPlay, till now 2100+ downloads, so we are to show more interest into this product.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:30 PM   #76
chrishch

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
You don't actually have to scroll through all your songs to get from the player controls to volume. When you are in the player controls, you scroll up with the trackball to go into the songlist section. Then, to get to the volume controls, you just scroll left.

To go the other way, from volume, you scroll down to get to the playlist section and then scroll right to get to the player controls.

However, it would be nice if the side volume buttons work. I too find the volume inconsistent, and it seems as if it gets louder during the same song.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #77
rpfeffer
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint BES

Going to load up my device with music when I get home, as I just got my MicroSD card in today.

This may sound dumb but how do you remove a file from the list (main screen of MP3 player) once you've played it and don't want it there anymore?
Old 02-10-2007, 02:22 AM   #78
dollars5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpfeffer
Going to load up my device with music when I get home, as I just got my MicroSD card in today.

This may sound dumb but how do you remove a file from the list (main screen of MP3 player) once you've played it and don't want it there anymore?
Currently there is no way to clear your playlist history, only thing you can do is select other song or select other playlist to lose your old selections.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:30 AM   #79
stealthx32

Model: 8220

Can we get the volume button to work? That's one thing I definitely couldn't live without. The RIM player allows you to adjust volume, even if the phone is locked.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:56 AM   #80
dollars5

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthx32
Can we get the volume button to work? That's one thing I definitely couldn't live without. The RIM player allows you to adjust volume, even if the phone is locked.
When contacted RIM regard to this - we were replied RIM does not want to open up trapping side volume control keys for third party developers as of now. So we have implemented control using keypad buttons - QW for up and OP for down. And as you said - they will not work when device is locked :(