Old 07-25-2007, 12:35 AM   #61
janeenadamsmartin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

ehdee,

uh-oh, my new loud wav files are doing the same thing when the phone actually rings! It is playing a two-second piece of the wav for every "ring." I didn't notice it til now because I've been better at catching it while it's still on vibrate.

Do you have a solution? Playing the ringtone while in the menu or media application is fine, it's the actual call in that is truncating it to be "one ring in length."

jan
Old 07-25-2007, 12:38 AM   #62
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Jan, try setting the number of rings to one, and the file play.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:00 AM   #63
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by APCR View Post
I saved the file that was created by someonexh and it works great.... Thanks

I notice talk about modifying the default ringtones put in you phone memory. How do you get to those files?

I have not figured out how to browse the system memory yet..

Dan
FYI it was hrdc69 that made that file, I was just making sure any non technical people knew how to get the file easily.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:15 AM   #64
Unclebelvis
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830

FYI< you can use Sound Recorder to amplify the WAV files as well. It is built in to Windows. (Usually in system32\sndrec32.exe)

Works really well for me.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:27 AM   #65
janeenadamsmartin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

JSanders,

Great idea, but didn't work. Setting phone to vibrate+tone and rings = 1 resulted in the phone vibrating once, playing a 2 sec ringtone, then vibrating again, playing the 2 sec ringtone again, etc...

I expected it to vibrate once, shift over to tone and continue to play tone until voicemail picked up. I don't know if that is normal behaviour or not.

This is only happening with the wav file, the mp3 is working correctly.

Not sure where to go next other than trying to re-record the wav file. Maybe I'll try Sound Recorder this time.

jan
Old 07-25-2007, 08:32 AM   #66
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Jan, thanks for the update, at least now I know, lol. I knew it would work correctly with MP3s, I was not sure about WAVs.

I know with Audacity you can save WAVs as a MP3, may in Sound Recorder as well.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:59 AM   #67
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Jan, thanks for the update, at least now I know, lol. I knew it would work correctly with MP3s, I was not sure about WAVs.

I know with Audacity you can save WAVs as a MP3, may in Sound Recorder as well.
Sound Recorder saves in .wav
Old 07-25-2007, 09:21 AM   #68
milleniaengineer

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Possible fix

Not an expert, but if you go from the main menu:
Profiles, Advanced, Loud, Phone, Select ring volume for in and out of holster. This should be saved to your loud profile. You can also adjust the volume of sound indicators for all functions on the blackberry that you would like. Hope this helps.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:11 AM   #69
eddieb

Default Was able to increase volume on custom ringtone

A while back I picked a song as the ringtone when my wife calls me. But just like many others' experience with this, it was very low and I have missed it on occasion. So what I did yesterday was plug my iPod into the line-in of my laptop, cranked up the iPod, and recorded it. Since the input was cranked up, the resulting recording was significantly louder than the original mp3 on my laptop that I was previously using for my ringtone. But when I replaced the old mp3 on my 8830 with the new (louder) one, there was still no difference in volume. Frustrated, I gave up.

But tonight, when my wife called and the ringtone kicked in, it was WAY loud. I've tested it several times after and it's definitely louder. In fact, almost too loud now. I tried to figure out what has changed from before. Two things - one - I installed BBAlerts. I don't think that did it. But the second thing I did since yesterday was a battery pull. And ever since then, the ringtone got loud.

I'm not absolutely sure the battery pull made the difference after putting the new mp3 on, but smart money says that's what did it.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:33 AM   #70
davcho64

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.8462/20; U; en))

I have tried doing everything listed too... Still low volume even at loudest settings... Nothing more frustrating to see, when you have 5 missed calls from your boss and clients in 1 day. Looks like it's time to get a different BB. I wish Verizon would start releasing some better equipment.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:45 AM   #71
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Oh this is not rocket science. Set your ringtone louder, get a louder ringtone and put some vibrate in it. Unless your "work" in a rockband or in train cab, you shouldn't be missing that many calls. Heck I am half deaf I think, and I don't miss calls (that many).

Another user, SanFrancisco posted links to his extra LOUD and obnoxious ringtones a while back. They will blow your hat off. When I get a chance today I will link back to that post.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:26 AM   #72
davcho64

[QUOTE=JSanders;613444]Oh this is not rocket science. Set your ringtone louder, get a louder ringtone and put some vibrate in it. Unless your "work" in a rockband or in train cab, you shouldn't be missing that many calls. Heck I am half deaf I think, and I don't miss calls (that many).

I think it's a Verizon issue. I've tested out the 8800 and 8300 with AT&T and the ringers are extremely loud, regardless of the setting. With the 8800 and 8300, I had to set the volume on Low, just to keep it from being so loud it would disturb anyone within a 5 foot radius. However on the Verizon 8830, only, I have noticed that ringers are much more quiet, regardless of the ringer type, setting level, or MP3/Music file downloaded. But I could be going deaf... Damn all those years of listening to loud music!
Old 07-26-2007, 11:33 AM   #73
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Here, I almost forgot... and thanks to user SanFrancisco

These will rock your world and deafen whatever other sensory organs are still working.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...tml#post537482
Old 07-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #74
hooper610

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcho64 View Post

I think it's a Verizon issue. I've tested out the 8800 and 8300 with AT&T and the ringers are extremely loud, regardless of the setting. With the 8800 and 8300, I had to set the volume on Low, just to keep it from being so loud it would disturb anyone within a 5 foot radius. However on the Verizon 8830, only, I have noticed that ringers are much more quiet, regardless of the ringer type, setting level, or MP3/Music file downloaded. But I could be going deaf... Damn all those years of listening to loud music!
I believe I posted this before... but I called VZW about this issue and was passed on to RIM. The person I spoke with at RIM confirmed this as a known issue and said it would be part of the next software update.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:18 PM   #75
rwfsr

A woman, in an earlier post, stated that you could make a new profile. I tried it and the volumn did come up. Not as loud as my treo but loud enough to suffer with :D
Old 08-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #76
tomgrossi

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooper610 View Post
I believe I posted this before... but I called VZW about this issue and was passed on to RIM. The person I spoke with at RIM confirmed this as a known issue and said it would be part of the next software update.
According to another thread, the new VZW update increases ringer volume by 6db WHEN IN THE HOLSTER. This doesn't help me since I like to just lock the keyboard and put the device in my pocket. I've made my own maxed out ringtones with Audacity but they're still not loud enough out of holster (the issue is not the files... if I play the same file in the media player it is REALLY loud... it's just not loud as the ringer.)

Any other ideas?
Old 08-09-2007, 02:20 PM   #77
cowboyL1FE

As a previous 8830 owner, I thought I'd share my experience.

I got a Verizon 8830 a few months ago. Compared to my old LG 8100, the ringtone volume on the 8830 was HORRIBLE! I did the audicity thing, I tried it all, still nothing.

Last night I purchased an iPhone. What did I think of it? I took it back this morning and got a 8300 (Curve).

I made my own ringtones and let me tell you, I actually have to put it on medium for some since it's so loud. I was really disappointed in the 8830 and more than happy to pay the early termination fee just to get rid of that P.O.S.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #78
Bru433
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Lots
Carrier: Rogers

Just FYI, the volume with the 8830 ringtunes is a known issue and does not directly pertain to the ringtune you are using. This issue was addressed and is now fixed via the latest version of device software. See Verizon's download page.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:03 AM   #79
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

Same complaint from my housemate who owns an 8830.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:44 PM   #80
Girion
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: T of Guinness plz

There is a Verizon download for the device, available as of 8-2-07, can anyone confirm this is a fix for the volume of the ringer? Or is does this patch not reflect an upgrade?

"For pretty things that serve no use, the true art finds its tether.
To those who know illumination comes wickless in the nether."
Closed Thread