Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBorg View Post
Whatever. You Verizon Wireless customers are getting shanked.
I do not feel shanked in any way what so ever.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:04 AM   #62
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
JRR, where did you get the info that Navigator will only use aGPS?
You other post does not show what it uses, just says the phones contain full GPS and also has the ability to use sGPS. Where are you getting the info on their product?

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-8830-gps.html
The phone has full GPS, but VZNavigator has always been an "Assisted GPS" application. It uses the cell towers to triangulate you for better resolution. Just because the phone has full GPS does not mean it doesn't support assisted GPS... you do know that right?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:05 AM   #63
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Carrier: *

Quote:
Shank... it's a verb... you know, "To Shank".
Old 07-23-2007, 10:09 AM   #64
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon

some people have used the argument that verizon advertised it as "built in GPS" and what they really meant was that is has e911 capability. unfortunately "built in GPS" DOES NOT equal e911.

e911 is not a stand-alone GPS technology and requires the use of cell phone towers to triangulate also. cell phone carriers and manufacturer's have stopped advertising "e911 capable" because it's a law that every phone have it now. there is a grandfather rule that older phones activated on an already existing plan do not have to be e911 capable, but any phone activated on a new plan MUST be e911 capable.

back to verizon's advertisement... the phrase "built in GPS" in court would not hold up as being the same at e911 capable. e911 capability has never been advertised by Verizon as "built in GPS" and the term "built in" suggests that its GPS functionality is stand alone and is built into the device. i really get frustrated when people try to say "built in GPS" could be used an excuse for really trying to say "e911"

HOWEVER...with all of this said...if that advertisement was a pre-release and Verizon no longer advertises it like that, well then there is nothing you can do. at least verizon has learned its lesson with the Bluetooth fiasco, when they were advertising bluetooth capability on their phones but they disabled OBEX file transfer but didn't tell customers. now THAT is wrong...

i would like to see Verizon release a firmware update to enable the GPS, even if it's only for VZ Navigator. I know how to hack VZ Navigator and other programs via BitPim and actually use the program for free, so if they only enable GPS for that program...that's fine by me
Old 07-23-2007, 10:09 AM   #65
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

DING.

Round THIRTY EIGHT.

Nothing below the belt, please.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:13 AM   #66
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
That's because Irish people are such backstabbers that you guys don't feel it anymore...
I'm sorry, but I don't really see the reason for this comment - winking smiley or not.

The mods have WASTED enough time dealing with this single thread, and I for one am sick of it.

Knock it off or the thread will be closed and you can all take a vacation from the forums.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #67
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't really see the reason for this comment - winking smiley or not.

The mods have WASTED enough time dealing with this single thread, and I for one am sick of it.

Knock it off or the thread will be closed and you can all take a vacation from the forums.
Now I dont see why we all would need a vacation hes the only one throwing licks here. Isnt that a little unfair.

I am actually Highly offened by the comment I am proud of my Irish roots and he really too an unnessecary shot.

Last edited by Dawg; 07-23-2007 at 10:20 AM..
Old 07-23-2007, 10:25 AM   #68
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
The phone has full GPS, but VZNavigator has always been an "Assisted GPS" application. It uses the cell towers to triangulate you for better resolution. Just because the phone has full GPS does not mean it doesn't support assisted GPS... you do know that right?
Yes of course I do know this. I know nothing about the Verizon Nav program, did not know that it was aGPS only.

Another proud Irishman insulted here as well.

Last edited by test54; 07-23-2007 at 10:26 AM..
Old 07-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #69
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
...which only end up as flame wars....
I guess I called that one right.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:37 AM   #70
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Back on topic. Is there anything left that can be said about the advertisement in Post #1 and whether it is proof that Verizon advertised falsely?
Old 07-23-2007, 11:22 AM   #71
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Default Let the President of VZ Respond

If he reads this forum he should provide us with insite as to what VZ is planning and maybe answer why you can get six different answers from VZ sales and technical support on this issue.

My comments still stands that if the 8830 is truly a "World Edition" phone then the GPS feature should work outside of the United States still stands and is the only point for legal discussion in my opinion. I forgot to include in my comment yesterday that "World Edition" is silk-screened onto the front of the phone and that kind of makes part of my point in this discusion.

I do not understand why this issue results in name calling. The issue is not between the members of this forum but if VZ can be trusted in the presentation of information on new equipment and if their sales force and technical staff have any idea about what is truly going on. Again, if the President of VZ is reading, please enlighten us as to your view on this matter. This is truly your chance of proving that VZ is the least worst of the majors in regards to business practices.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:29 AM   #72
test54
BlackBerry Master

it boils down to the same issue, "World Edition" can mean whatever Verizon wants it to mean. Kind of like "special Edition" on anything can mean just about anything, or "GT" "LS" can mean anything on cars, no legal repercussions there either.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:33 AM   #73
jjudson
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: None
Default Will Verizon Upgrade?

I've seen a lot of concerns regarding GPS all over this forum. To be honest, I'm not sure folks complaining about GPS lock-out with Verizon have much of a leg to stand on. It sucks, but Verizon has a long-term habit of this stuff. It is what it is.

That said, I'm thinking of upgrading my Treo to the BB 8830. I'd like to do so soon rather than later. The latest word seems to indicate that Verizon will offer its GPS service in October.

Has anyone heard whether Verizon will upgrade existing phones when GPS capability becomes available? Is this in writing anywhere? I'd rather not wait until October to switch upgrade phones.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:24 PM   #74
MichaelBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 0000
PIN: Ask
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
why didnt you just return the phone so we would not have to read all your whining?

Verizon does have a return period right?
Now thats not nice, NO one is twisting your arm and forcing you to read this r they?
Old 07-23-2007, 12:25 PM   #75
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBB View Post
Now thats not nice, NO one is twisting your arm and forcing you to read this r they?
just like no one is forcing these ppl to buy or use Verizon
Old 07-23-2007, 12:30 PM   #76
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBB View Post
how is that not nice?

I think all this thread serves is a place for people to vent about Verizon and for the rest of us to jab at them for venting, endless cycle.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:50 PM   #77
birddog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Yup... The last person to post wins!
Old 07-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #78
MichaelBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

Yep thats why you have to weigh out whats the right carrier + hardware and go from there
Old 07-23-2007, 01:13 PM   #79
MichaelBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Yup... The last person to post wins!

COME on AT&T 8820, yea baby , come on wifi and GPS
Old 07-23-2007, 02:29 PM   #80
BFEINZIMER
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBerry View Post
some people have used the argument that verizon advertised it as "built in GPS" and what they really meant was that is has e911 capability. unfortunately "built in GPS" DOES NOT equal e911.

e911 is not a stand-alone GPS technology and requires the use of cell phone towers to triangulate also. cell phone carriers and manufacturer's have stopped advertising "e911 capable" because it's a law that every phone have it now. there is a grandfather rule that older phones activated on an already existing plan do not have to be e911 capable, but any phone activated on a new plan MUST be e911 capable.

back to verizon's advertisement... the phrase "built in GPS" in court would not hold up as being the same at e911 capable. e911 capability has never been advertised by Verizon as "built in GPS" and the term "built in" suggests that its GPS functionality is stand alone and is built into the device. i really get frustrated when people try to say "built in GPS" could be used an excuse for really trying to say "e911"

HOWEVER...with all of this said...if that advertisement was a pre-release and Verizon no longer advertises it like that, well then there is nothing you can do. at least verizon has learned its lesson with the Bluetooth fiasco, when they were advertising bluetooth capability on their phones but they disabled OBEX file transfer but didn't tell customers. now THAT is wrong...

i would like to see Verizon release a firmware update to enable the GPS, even if it's only for VZ Navigator. I know how to hack VZ Navigator and other programs via BitPim and actually use the program for free, so if they only enable GPS for that program...that's fine by me
Exactly! Today I will contact the lawyers that handled the v710 case.

I understand alot of people are sick of hearing us complain, but seriously after years I am getting sick of VZWs BS. I've tried Cingular and could not stand the service...Verizon has got me there.
Closed Thread