BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 09:40 AM   #101
jerlasvegas

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

I have Sprint, and if there is music playing, I can't hear the phone ring.

I reencoded the mp3 with lame, it is a linux program,... free.

lame -scale 3 in.mp3 out.mp3

now it is much louder and sounds like its distorting the speaker, but sprint has insurance on the phone so i dont care, least i can hear it now at a party or something.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:40 AM   #102
BetterOffDad
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Verizon

You know what would be awesome? If I could HEAR MY PHONE RINGING WHEN SOMEBODY'S CALLING ME!!!!

Verizon victim...I mean, "subscriber" here.

But seriously, there are a couple of things I've read in this thread that really don't make any sense. First, a wav file will not be louder than an mp3 file just because it's a wav file. A wave file is just an uncompressed audio format, period. A wav file may sound better (although that's impossible to imagine since it's coming out of a speaker that's roughly the size of one of the crumbs on my keyboard), but it won't be louder. It's like the difference between and avi file and an mpeg file for video...the former may have more definition, but it's not going to be any louder, lol.

Also, since wav files are generally about 10x larger than a 128kbps mp3, the wav files used as ringtones may get hacked off by the phone if there's a filesize limit on ringtones. I have no idea if there is, but that would explain some of the problems I read about in this thread.

Since I didn't find anything to make the phone louder, I made the loudest ringtone I could. If anybody else is doing this, a little tip about how humans hear might help. Cut out the lows and the highs as much as you can before you increase the volume of whatever file you're working on. Most of what we hear really well (babies crying...violins) is in a pretty narrow sonic range, so the more "a.m. radio sounding" you can make your file, the better you'll hear it.

Audio cannot get much louder than the clip below; it'll sound distorted if you play it on your computer (because it sort of is), but the distortion minimized through the phone...but I really wish the phone would just ring louder.

http://betteroffdad.com/MP3/rushringtone.mp3

Best of luck to you all, and thanks for letting me ramble.

Last edited by BetterOffDad; 09-05-2007 at 12:42 AM..
Old 09-05-2007, 07:31 AM   #103
ufkal

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizion
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterOffDad View Post
You know what would be awesome? If I could HEAR MY PHONE RINGING WHEN SOMEBODY'S CALLING ME!!!!

Verizon victim...I mean, "subscriber" here.

But seriously, there are a couple of things I've read in this thread that really don't make any sense. First, a wav file will not be louder than an mp3 file just because it's a wav file. A wave file is just an uncompressed audio format, period. A wav file may sound better (although that's impossible to imagine since it's coming out of a speaker that's roughly the size of one of the crumbs on my keyboard), but it won't be louder. It's like the difference between and avi file and an mpeg file for video...the former may have more definition, but it's not going to be any louder, lol.

Also, since wav files are generally about 10x larger than a 128kbps mp3, the wav files used as ringtones may get hacked off by the phone if there's a filesize limit on ringtones. I have no idea if there is, but that would explain some of the problems I read about in this thread.

Since I didn't find anything to make the phone louder, I made the loudest ringtone I could. If anybody else is doing this, a little tip about how humans hear might help. Cut out the lows and the highs as much as you can before you increase the volume of whatever file you're working on. Most of what we hear really well (babies crying...violins) is in a pretty narrow sonic range, so the more "a.m. radio sounding" you can make your file, the better you'll hear it.

Audio cannot get much louder than the clip below; it'll sound distorted if you play it on your computer (because it sort of is), but the distortion minimized through the phone...but I really wish the phone would just ring louder.

http://betteroffdad.com/MP3/rushringtone.mp3

Best of luck to you all, and thanks for letting me ramble.
As a HUGE RUSH fan, Let me just say THANKS for that ringtone. It just replaced my Imperial Death March as my default ringtone. Its loud just the way RUSH should be. Thanks again.!!!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 11:50 AM   #104
BetterOffDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufkal View Post
As a HUGE RUSH fan, Let me just say THANKS for that ringtone. It just replaced my Imperial Death March as my default ringtone. Its loud just the way RUSH should be. Thanks again.!!!!!
Hey, cool. Very nice of you to say.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:13 PM   #105
DTT255

Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidsub View Post
Here's the link as an actual link, by the way:
https://publish.insightbb.com/person...40/Classic.mp3

Whoever posted that originally (dabull), thank you.
This has solved my low ringer issue. That classic.mp3 is VERY loud!
Old 09-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #106
DTT255

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufkal View Post
Was your Imperial Death March Loud enough? Can you post a link to download that? I would love to have that!!
Old 09-05-2007, 04:07 PM   #107
BetterOffDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjack56 View Post
Having said that, I see ALOT of people referencing the low volume of the ringer even at the "loud" setting. You can adjust the ringer to be louder, you just need to know how. When you choose "loud", there is an automatic "default" for the volume, but it can be increased several times higher from there. Go into "Profiles" on the main menu, highlight "loud" (or whichever), then hit the menu key. Now click on "show tunes", then click on "pre-loaded" and scroll to your chosen ringer. Click the trackball to play it. On the right side of your screen, you will see the volume bar. On the "loud" setting, it defaults about 3/4 of the way up the bar. Use the volume keys on the side of the phone to move the volume setting higher. Set it as high as you like (it will play it at the new volume so you can hear how loud it is). Once it is at the volume you want, hit the menu key again. Click to save it as your phone's ringer and it will save the new volume setting as well. At the highest setting, this thing is L-O-U-D. (snip)[/B]
Ok, I re-read that and tried it again and followed it exactly (I was missing the step where you hit the menu button before you go into the actual profile), and that worked. Phone's plenty loud now. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:19 PM   #108
BetterOffDad

Well crap, I spoke too soon. I can hear that the thing is really loud when I'm in that mode, but I can't save it at that volume. I tried "set as phone tune" and "set as ringtone," but the volume stays the same in the profile.

I WILL figure this out.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:22 PM   #109
Grovesfan

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I did all this exactly too, but there are a few steps missing for anyone who might be new to BBs.

1. Highlight "Profiles" on the home screen. Push trackball to open Profiles.
2. Scroll down to "Advanced..." and select.
3. Highlight the profile you wish to make louder.
4. Press the menu button and select "Show Tunes."
5. If your ringtones are stored on your device, then choose "Pre-loaded". If your ringtones are stored on your media card (as mine are), then they will open upon choosing "Show Tunes."
6. Highlight any of the tunes. Click the trackball to play it. Adjust the volume using the volume controls on the right side of the phone.
7. Save the menu changes and exit.

I didn't find that it made a huge difference, but it's still an improvement over the default settings. Thanks for the great tip on this! I was just confused initially at not being able to find anything "pre-loaded" on my menu options.

Beth
Old 09-05-2007, 05:38 PM   #110
brc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Who else?

What if you want to alter the ringtones that came with the device? It only gives me the media card option.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:48 PM   #111
Dawger101

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel
Default New Blackberry w/ Camera

Hello All,

Does anyone have info on this new BB that's supposed to come out in December that has a camera? I keep hearing this from some sources and I just wanted to hear from the forum here.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #112
djonthemove

Smile 8830 Ringtone volume

I've noticed a few threads with people having problems with the 8830 rings/sounds being too low and had experienced the exact same problems myself UNTIL I downloaded several ringtones onto my phone. Now, I have no problem hearing the rings/alerts. For example, I've downloaded the "You've Got Mail," ringtone for my incoming messages and it is loud and clear. I can even hear it when it is stuffed in my bag or across the room.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #113
brc
Thumbs Must Hurt

What if you want to alter the ringtones that came with the device? It only gives me the media card option.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:37 AM   #114
brc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Old 09-06-2007, 03:45 AM   #115
brc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Old 09-06-2007, 08:54 AM   #116
ufkal

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTT255 View Post
Was your Imperial Death March Loud enough? Can you post a link to download that? I would love to have that!!
It was quite loud enough. I've edited it and run it through Audacity a couple of times. I don't have a site that I can upload the file for you sorry. If you have an option or a place to put it up I will do so.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:12 AM   #117
brc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovesfan View Post
I did all this exactly too, but there are a few steps missing for anyone who might be new to BBs.

1. Highlight "Profiles" on the home screen. Push trackball to open Profiles.
2. Scroll down to "Advanced..." and select.
3. Highlight the profile you wish to make louder.
4. Press the menu button and select "Show Tunes."
5. If your ringtones are stored on your device, then choose "Pre-loaded". If your ringtones are stored on your media card (as mine are), then they will open upon choosing "Show Tunes."
6. Highlight any of the tunes. Click the trackball to play it. Adjust the volume using the volume controls on the right side of the phone.
7. Save the menu changes and exit.

I didn't find that it made a huge difference, but it's still an improvement over the default settings. Thanks for the great tip on this! I was just confused initially at not being able to find anything "pre-loaded" on my menu options.

Beth
I really don't see a difference. Why are they so loud when you play them in media but as a ringtone not quite loud enough? Because of the software/holster issue?
Old 09-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #118
BetterOffDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc View Post
I really don't see a difference. Why are they so loud when you play them in media but as a ringtone not quite loud enough? Because of the software/holster issue?
No, it's because when you play them in media, the phone is using 2 speakers (front and back, I think)... the ringtones only use one speaker. Seems like it should be an easy software fix, but then again, I don't write software, so I'm kinda' talking out of my a$$.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:52 PM   #119
BetterOffDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc View Post
Put them on the media card (if there's room). If not, get storage.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:11 AM   #120
thetree1918

Model: 7130

ok this is wierd....

I have had my 8830 for about a month now, I have been also steadily adding files to it via various methods. one though my media convertor, many though just memory card.

I had some ringtones that were WAY loud, like I had to turn all my stuff to low to make it not annoying as hell.

then I was showing a client how ot insert the simcard, and I inserted his into my phone to show the correct way, and my phone sent an activation signal to verizon. since that moment my ringers have been quiet as hell.

it's odd as ****, I am working ti out, going to try a few things.
Closed Thread