BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Were you able to use the application successfully?
Yes 305 86.65%
No 47 13.35%
Voters: 352. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:31 AM   #1481
hi-tech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100
Carrier: SprinTel

Please Login to Remove!

Just want to say for the most part Ive been happy with JiveTalk, it exceeds expectations from using other IM clients, although I'm still wishing for some new features such as sign on/sign off noitifications (that can be enabled/disabaled)

However, I just installed 0.9.2 from 6.x. I must say there are 2 major 'changes' from the 0.6.x and priors that has irritated me to the point at which I'm about to reinstall .6.2.

Aside from loosing all settings not a big deal for me really as I just had to enter the accounts all over again.

1st majorchange for me is the MISSING 'enter-enter' feature to switch between active chats. I have become heavily used to this handy shortcut as I can switch chats/type convo pretty much with just one hand (while other is holding a bag etc...) and rather quickly. The alt-alt-# combo is ok but more combersome to utilize and just wasn't as fast/efficient to me as the enter-enter so I never really used it unless I had a lot of chats open - even then, I usually just enter-enter through them, recapping each convo as I switch through.

2nd major change the ability to add to the current conversion while STILL seeing actual conversation. This helped me re-cap the convo so I know who im talking to and about what, and is pretty much how the desktop versions are.
- Now it jumps to a blank screen with just the persons screen name. This rather annoying since you can no longer see the convo, and if they are still sending messages while your typing your text, you can't see their newly added messages without having to back-out of that 'new message' screen then back-in to continue typing etc... Quite irritating.

Not to mention-being so accustomed to the 'enter-enter' switch which is now gone, I end up sending several blank messages to current chats I have open as a habit of pressing enter-enter to switch to a different chat!

I checked preferences but do not see any info to change the above back to previous settings.

PLEASEEE tell me there is a way to re-implenent the above. If other users do like these new changes, then a way to enable/disable would be a nice compromise for those of us used to the previous beta versions.

I think I will downgrade to 6.2 meanwhile.

I submitted my survey yesturday before updating to 9.2 today.

Thanks guys
Old 05-23-2007, 12:32 AM   #1482
soesraider
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyububba View Post
Hmm... OTA shouldn't overwrite your data. If there was a bad install, it's possible that the OS app manager had already deleted the old version.
I've done a re-install in the past and ended up with a "second" copy of the app in the menu. I was going to uninstall first in order to avoid that. But you're saying it shouldn't create that second copy? I should just be able to go to the OTA link and re-DL to clean it up?

SR
Old 05-23-2007, 12:33 AM   #1483
kyububba
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by soesraider View Post
I've done a re-install in the past and ended up with a "second" copy of the app in the menu. I was going to uninstall first in order to avoid that. But you're saying it shouldn't create that second copy? I should just be able to go to the OTA link and re-DL to clean it up?

SR
that's correct. as long as you install the correct build. it shouldn't happen
Old 05-23-2007, 12:35 AM   #1484
kyububba

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-tech View Post
Just want to say for the most part Ive been happy with JiveTalk, it exceeds expectations from using other IM clients, although I'm still wishing for some new features such as sign on/sign off noitifications (that can be enabled/disabaled)

However, I just installed 0.9.2 from 6.x. I must say there are 2 major 'changes' from the 0.6.x and priors that has irritated me to the point at which I'm about to reinstall .6.2.

Aside from loosing all settings not a big deal for me really as I just had to enter the accounts all over again.

1st majorchange for me is the MISSING 'enter-enter' feature to switch between active chats. I have become heavily used to this handy shortcut as I can switch chats/type convo pretty much with just one hand (while other is holding a bag etc...) and rather quickly. The alt-alt-# combo is ok but more combersome to utilize and just wasn't as fast/efficient to me as the enter-enter so I never really used it unless I had a lot of chats open - even then, I usually just enter-enter through them, recapping each convo as I switch through.

2nd major change the ability to add to the current conversion while STILL seeing actual conversation. This helped me re-cap the convo so I know who im talking to and about what, and is pretty much how the desktop versions are.
- Now it jumps to a blank screen with just the persons screen name. This rather annoying since you can no longer see the convo, and if they are still sending messages while your typing your text, you can't see their newly added messages without having to back-out of that 'new message' screen then back-in to continue typing etc... Quite irritating.

Not to mention-being so accustomed to the 'enter-enter' switch which is now gone, I end up sending several blank messages to current chats I have open as a habit of pressing enter-enter to switch to a different chat!

I checked preferences but do not see any info to change the above back to previous settings.

PLEASEEE tell me there is a way to re-implenent the above. If other users do like these new changes, then a way to enable/disable would be a nice compromise for those of us used to the previous beta versions.

I think I will downgrade to 6.2 meanwhile.

I submitted my survey yesturday before updating to 9.2 today.

Thanks guys
I believe you installed the wrong build for your OS, hence the wiping of your settings and the losing of those 2 features.

Sounds like you installed the build for OS 4.1.0.303 or earlier, which is the patched build. You need the one for 4.1.0.309 or later (assuming you're on an 8700 series...)

Check the download page again, it's the second item down.

If you reinstall directly without uninstalling, you will end up with an orphanced version. You can get rid of the orphaned version by going to Options > Advanced Options > Applications, switch to module view, and delete the module JiveTalk$2d$BlackBerry$2dmidp2$2dbl

Last edited by kyububba; 05-23-2007 at 12:44 AM..
Old 05-23-2007, 12:56 AM   #1485
hi-tech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I believe you installed the wrong build for your OS, hence the wiping of your settings and the losing of those 2 features.

Sounds like you installed the build for OS 4.1.0.303 or earlier, which is the patched build. You need the one for 4.1.0.309 or later (assuming you're on an 8700 series...)

Check the download page again, it's the second item down.

If you reinstall directly without uninstalling, you will end up with an orphanced version. You can get rid of the orphaned version by going to Options > Advanced Options > Applications, switch to module view, and delete the module JiveTalk$2d$BlackBerry$2dmidp2$2dbl
Wow that was a quick response,

I'm on an 7100i, from nextel, I'll get the non-patched build thanks.

Just an FYI, I actually tried upgrading from within the app first, but once it installed, I noticed it didn't ask me to reboot 'as normal', but didnt think too much into it. And ran the program, received several 503 errors and freezes. I then said well maybe it does have to reboot, and yanked the battery to reboot. When it came back, the Jive icon was gone and the app appeared to have disapeared from the app list. Thats when I did the OTA link from the email.

Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:17 AM   #1486
soesraider

Quote:
that's correct. as long as you install the correct build. it shouldn't happen
Tks! It worked! I did lose my history and account settings, but it did just over-write the one copy.

Tks again!

SR
Old 05-23-2007, 05:05 AM   #1487
Dispatcher35

Model: 8350i
PIN: 4026f12b
Carrier: Nextel

I used the upgrade link in the program and had no problems. New splash screens look good!

Mike

Marlborough, MA
BB PIN=4026F12b~~AIM=Mikeyp158
[email address]
Old 05-23-2007, 01:49 PM   #1488
hi-tech
Thumbs Must Hurt

More FYI:

Ok, my 7100i OS 4.1.0.376

Apperantly, the 4.1.0.309 or later is indeed the one installed OTA (email was still open with the link highlighted on the BB), as I installed that one again and got the same symptoms. (no popup to reboot after install, and errors when running/starting program).

I then installed the 4.1.0.303 or earlier release and did get the popup prompting to reboot, but tried to run program and received "starting" errors.

Finally I deleted the 9.2 from the BB in 'options>applications.' It prompted to reboot to complete 'removal.' After reboot, I the noticed the JT icon was STILL there. Started JT and low and behold it works as normal, all the settings was STILL there. (there was only one entry in the app list for JT 9.2, so not sure what was actually deleted)

Just thought this was weird as all previous JT beta releases installed/upgraded fine. I'm guessing something got screwed with my initial attempt to upgrade from .6 to .9 within the app. and instead of replacing the app it somehow installed right on top of it - if that makes any sense.

Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:19 PM   #1489
hi-tech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just had to say ...Wow, 9.2 is great.... loving the new splash screen, emoticons... etc... Great work on this one JT.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:16 PM   #1490
Kane317
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

0.9.2 Version still working and going strong. Absolutely love this application and it's hands down the best multi IM program!

Question for ICQ, is there anyway to rename your contacts, coz I keep getting msgs from UIQ:#123324738947 and I can never remember who they are? I'm sure this is more of an ICQ question rather than jivetalk...Anyone?
Old 05-23-2007, 05:38 PM   #1491
kyububba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane317 View Post
0.9.2 Version still working and going strong. Absolutely love this application and it's hands down the best multi IM program!

Question for ICQ, is there anyway to rename your contacts, coz I keep getting msgs from UIQ:#123324738947 and I can never remember who they are? I'm sure this is more of an ICQ question rather than jivetalk...Anyone?
highlight the buddy, select Buddy Info, edit the nickname field.

this is how you change nicknames for all buddies in JiveTalk
Old 05-23-2007, 09:43 PM   #1492
soesraider

Hi Kyububba,

Are you guys testing the license key authentication right now? I've had an error for a little while that says I must have a valid key (key mismatch). When I try to paste in my beta key, it says invalid. If I try to continue without entering any key, it doesnt let me log into the services.

It was running at the time, and dropped my cxn to the services.

Help?

SR
Old 05-23-2007, 09:44 PM   #1493
kyububba

Quote:
Originally Posted by soesraider View Post
Hi Kyububba,

Are you guys testing the license key authentication right now? I've had an error for a little while that says I must have a valid key (key mismatch). When I try to paste in my beta key, it says invalid. If I try to continue without entering any key, it doesnt let me log into the services.

It was running at the time, and dropped my cxn to the services.

Help?

SR
Yes, we're. It should have just let you in, but there may have been a duplicated created from our last test.

Please send send us your pin (support@beejive.com) and we'll clear it up for you.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:55 PM   #1494
soesraider

Quote:
Yes, we're. It should have just let you in, but there may have been a duplicated created from our last test.

Please send send us your pin (support@beejive.com) and we'll clear it up for you.
Thanks! It's fixed within 10 mins and one email. You guys are incredible on the support side, really!

SR
Old 05-23-2007, 10:04 PM   #1495
BB4Life

nice splash screen Kyububba...
Old 05-23-2007, 10:32 PM   #1496
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

man you guys are awesome!

this app simply rocks!

I love the "dont use while driving" oops, did that last night

anyway - can't wait to buy this.

Question, any progress on adding support for "auto login" after battery pull?

Thanks!
Old 05-24-2007, 01:47 AM   #1497
Kane317
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
highlight the buddy, select Buddy Info, edit the nickname field.

this is how you change nicknames for all buddies in JiveTalk

Thank you so much Kyububba!
Old 05-24-2007, 02:31 AM   #1498
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: NO One

1) The splash screen is COOL
2) The login screen for each IM looks excellent
3) I won't miss any upgrade in the future because you guys added the upgrade alert!

I can't wait to get the Skype chat in JiveTalk.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:33 PM   #1499
gschoelles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: 3188B3A0
Carrier: Verizon
Cool DNS Error

I restarted my 8703e this morning and am now receiving "Bad DNS error" is it me or something with you that is temporary.

Has been great otherwise.

Thanks

PS switched from tcp to bis which failed and back to tcp for dns error.

log sent

Sorry resolved with Radio OFF/ON maneuver. I don't understand why that works and the battery pull doesn't.

Last edited by gschoelles; 05-26-2007 at 03:20 PM..
Old 05-24-2007, 05:29 PM   #1500
soesraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by plchan View Post
1) The splash screen is COOL
2) The login screen for each IM looks excellent
3) I won't miss any upgrade in the future because you guys added the upgrade alert!

I can't wait to get the Skype chat in JiveTalk.
Kyububba,

Does this mean you've been giving more thought to including Skype, at least the chat portion?

SR

Last edited by soesraider; 05-24-2007 at 05:32 PM..
Closed Thread