Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
jallen500

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Synchronization Attempts Shut Down Computer

Please Login to Remove!

I have been using a Blackberry 8330 for about 3 months without any significant problems, but about a week ago, when I tried to sync with the computer, the computer started shutting down and rebooting, cycling through this repeatedly until I unplugged the Blackberry. The Blackberry is set up to use the BIS and there is no problem receiving emails. I am not very tech savvy, and really don't know what to consider next. I have checked to make sure that I have adequate memory. Nothing has changed re the computer. I have unplugged everything, waited, re-plugged in, and rebooted. Nothing helps. I am fairly certain this is a computer problem, since the Blackberry itself works the same as before. but does anyone have a thought about what I could do/check next?

Thanks for the help
Old 01-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

have you tried plugging your bb into another pc? or another bb into your pc? also try a battery pull on your bb, then connect to your pc again.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
jallen500

I pulled the battery, but when I reconnected, the computer shut down again. Using a different bb or pc will be a little trickier, but I'll work on that tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
monkeypaw

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

What OS are you using and how old is the computer?

Do you ever plug any other USB devices into the same USB ports?

Seems very odd that the PC would reboot even if the drivers were corrupted. Maybe there's some kind of hardware problem like a short or something. Try removing desktop manager and reinstalling it.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
jbs-horn

Model: 8310

I have a similar problem on a Toshiba laptop running Vista. As soon as I installed DM, the computer started spontaneously turning itself off, as it would if it was overheating. I managed to keep it running long enough to uninstall DM and the computer stopped spontaneously turning itself off.

I had the same experience with DM 4.7 and 4.6. I haven't tried 4.5 because I use this computer for useful work and can't have it quitting on me.

After uninstalling DM, I plugged in the phone, Vista searched for an appropriate driver, installed it, and gives me access to the storage card as a removable drive without any problems. I doubt it's an overheating problem because the computer runs fine playing multimedia, ran fine before the Blackberry, and runs fine now without DM. So there's something about the Blackberry software that doesn't agreee with either my hardware or Vista.

Several weeks of searching the various Blackberry forum sites show that this is not a common problem -- in fact, I've found no other example.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
jallen500

I tried using a different pc which didn't shut down when I plugged in the bb. So now I'm assuming the problem is linked to my computer. My pc is about 2 years old and uses XP.

I believe everything was working fine until a visitor did indeed use the same USB port to connect a digital camera. Would this have caused the problem and, if so, what do I do to correct it? There was no problem using the camera, and it is no longer being connected to my pc.

I uninstalled the bb desktop manager and re-installed today. I am using v4.2 at the recommendation of a Blackberry customer service rep because I also use Office 2000 and the newer software didn't work in synching with Outlook.

I also tried using the newer version of desktop manager, but nothing I've done yet has stopped the pc shutdown when I connect the bb.

Is this a lost cause?
Old 01-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
devnull

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

@jallen500

The problem does indeed sound like a PC issue. The only things I can think of at the moment are:

- try a different USB port on the PC.
- try a different cable.

other than that, it could be caused by some other application or drivers on the PC.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
jallen500

I've tried everything that's been suggested including the 2 latest: using different port and using different cable. The pc continued to shut down when the bb was connected.

Any thoughts about what I should do with the pc?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #9
kjjb0204

have you run a full av scan?
Old 01-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #10
monkeypaw

Model: None

Have you removed Desktop Manager completely and reinstalled it? Try a completely different version for the install than you have now.

Go here and scroll down to select "Download BlackBerry Desktop Software including service packs":
BlackBerry - Desktop Software - BlackBerry Desktop Software at BlackBerry.com

Also, after you remove Desktop Manager completely, try plugging in the BB and see what happens.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #11
kjjb0204

Is the usb port you're using on a pci card or built onto the motherboard? Or perhaps a non-powered usb hub?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:13 PM   #12
jbs-horn

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs-horn View Post
I have a similar problem on a Toshiba laptop running Vista. As soon as I installed DM, the computer started spontaneously turning itself off, as it would if it was overheating. I managed to keep it running long enough to uninstall DM and the computer stopped spontaneously turning itself off.

I had the same experience with DM 4.7 and 4.6. I haven't tried 4.5 because I use this computer for useful work and can't have it quitting on me.

After uninstalling DM, I plugged in the phone, Vista searched for an appropriate driver, installed it, and gives me access to the storage card as a removable drive without any problems. I doubt it's an overheating problem because the computer runs fine playing multimedia, ran fine before the Blackberry, and runs fine now without DM. So there's something about the Blackberry software that doesn't agreee with either my hardware or Vista.

Several weeks of searching the various Blackberry forum sites show that this is not a common problem -- in fact, I've found no other example.
I finally decided to reinstall DM, this time using the version on the CD that came with the phone. It installed correctly this time (the last time it crashed out with an error), and so far has been stable. So if DM 4.5, 4.6, or 4.7 are giving your computer trouble, try 4.3.
Closed Thread