BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 09-22-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
kneyens
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T
Default REVIEW: Seidio headphone adapters for BB 8100

Please Login to Remove!

I was able to review 2 adapters from Seidio. One worked and one didn't. You will know it doesn't work when you plug it in and the sound still routes through the speaker on the back of the phone.

Before I begin I'd also like to point out that I and others tried the clunky adapter from Fry's and that did not work either.

The first adapter I tested originally didn't work, but has been retooled and David sent me the new version which I've reviewed in this post
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...bb-8100-a.html

The second adapter I tested was ...
AUDIO ADAPTOR WITH BUILT-IN MICROPHONE AND ANSWER BUTTON (2.5MM MALE JACK TO 3.5MM FEMALE JACK) - ADA3-XDA325M35FC
Attachment 5248

This adapter worked like a champ. The MIC is very good, picked up my voice from a distance as my BB was sitting in front of me on my desk while I worked.

Although it was faint the MIC worked in a quiet environment while the BB was in the holster on my hip.

Which brings me to my only flaw about this adapter, and that is the short cable. If the cable from the MIC to the Male end were longer and had a clip you could bring that part up to your collar and attach it for better use.

The button on the MIC was handy as it allowed you to answer the call and place it on mute. When you mute the call your music resumes playing like background music. I don't know if that's cool to you or not, but it is what it is.

The MIC idea is a neat one, in that you don't have to unplug anything to use your phone when a call comes in (like the SLVR with the provided headset), but I've never like the wired mics anyway, so if in the end this is the only adapter that actually works where I get the sound to route through the headphones I won't be complaining.

The adapter that I didn't test that I really want to get my hands on is the

VOICE RECORDING ENABLED AUDIO ADAPTOR (2.5MM MALE JACK TO 3.5MM FEMALE JACK) - ADA2-XDA325M35F

This adapter looks identical to the first one I reviewed but claims to have Voice recording audio enabled. My suspicion is the adapater needs to have some type of Voice recording wiring or something in order for it to work. The one from Frys and the first one I reviewed in this list didn't mention anything of voice recording and they didn't work. So as soon as the 3rd one in this list comes in I'll update my review.

Personally, think this is the adapter for me. I really don't see using the MIC all that much. The fact that it's compact and you can barely tell that you are using an adapter are the two things that I look for and this particular device has all that. I'll let you all know as soon as it arrives if that's the adapater of the year award winner.

Last edited by kneyens; 11-01-2006 at 08:36 PM..
Old 09-22-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
nickbee
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-Mobile

I just got that 1st adaptor in with the same results..

I get nothing out of the headphones (and the phone speaker kept going). I think this site figured out that they do not work also as they are no longer listed on the 8100 headphone adaptor page (in fact none are).

BlackBerry - >> 8100

Let us know how #3 works as I don't need a mic, just need my headphones to work!
Old 09-22-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

Moving to Reviews Forum.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:57 PM   #4
7100simpleisbetter

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile
Default eBay adapter did not work

I tried an eBay adapter and it did not work. Probably the same problem as the Sedio one that didn't work above. Here is the link to the one I bought that did not work. It seems to be the right size but it doesn't work. Anyone have a theory on why these don't work.

Ebay adapter 2.5mm Male to 3.5mm Female

Anyhow, I order the sedio one that is supposed to work and am anxiously awaiting this adapter.

7100sib
Old 09-29-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
seidioseidio
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: AT&T | Verizon | T-Mobile | Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7100simpleisbetter
I tried an eBay adapter and it did not work. Probably the same problem as the Sedio one that didn't work above. Here is the link to the one I bought that did not work. It seems to be the right size but it doesn't work. Anyone have a theory on why these don't work.

Ebay adapter 2.5mm Male to 3.5mm Female

Anyhow, I order the sedio one that is supposed to work and am anxiously awaiting this adapter.

7100sib
Hi,

All problems with the mic and any other issues have been corrected. All of our adaptors will work as advertised.

David
[email address]
Old 09-30-2006, 09:53 PM   #6
seidioseidio
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: AT&T | Verizon | T-Mobile | Sprint

This adaptor Seidio is offering for BB 8100 works.

AUDIO ADAPTOR WITH BUILT-IN MICROPHONE AND ANSWER BUTTON (2.5MM MALE JACK TO 3.5MM FEMALE JACK) FOR BLACKBERRY 8100 - ADA3-BB8100M35FST

It comes with Mic and answer button.

Seidio
Old 10-12-2006, 02:40 AM   #7
sonybuff

Default Confused about the 2 adapters for Pearl

What about this one? It is more expensive than the $15.00 one avertised above, but seems to allow the mic to be clipped to the shirt:
2-IN-1 ADAPTOR (RETRACTABLE TYPE) H2ARSOVBB8100-BK For use with Blackberry 8100 Pearl.

Can someone please explain to me the difference betwen the two? Thanks
Old 11-21-2006, 12:38 PM   #8
maish

Model: 9700
Carrier: att
Default why wont standard adapters work

Has anyone cracked this question yet?
WHy should we order seidio if we can ebay it for 1/4 of price

any hints ??
Old 03-05-2007, 03:33 PM   #9
RickBullotta

Carrier: TMobile

My experience with the Seidio audio adapter (without microphone) on my BB Pearl 8100 has been quite mixed. The adapter itself, in most cases, does not work reliably, largely due to impedance matching issues with the various potential output devices (headphones, amplified speakers, car aux input).

Sometimes I get no output at all, sometimes mono output, sometimes stereo output.

It works OK with my BOSE noise cancelling headphones (most of the time...), but quite mixed results with Harman/Kardon powered speakers and the auxiliary input (MP3 player input) on my Lexus IS250.

Apparently "yet another adaptor" is needed - an audio coupler that tricks the BB 8100 into switching into stereo output mode.

Seems to me, this should be built into the adaptor...

In any case, a very mixed review.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:33 AM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I've had the opportunity to try two Seidio Adapters. The standard adapter with mic button works as advertised. I find this adapter useful when dropping the BB into my shirt pocket. This leaves the mic close enough to use reliably for phone use while listening to music.

I tried this adapter with a pair of Sony Ericsson headphones that came with a Sony Ericsson W300i. These are good because they have a short cord so that there is not excess wiring hanging down. For the most part the adapter performed flawlessly. However, I too, have occasional issues with either mono sound or no sound. Unplugging everything, restarting the media player seems to fix the problem. As posted above, it doesn't appear to be a problem with the adapter itself but a problem in the BB. Impedence variations could be a reason but I have no way of confirming this.

The answer button works well and the mic picks up voice well if it is within a foot or so of your mouth. Farther than that and it gets pretty faint. This adapter works well for sitting at a desk or dropping the BB in a shirt pocket.

I also have tried the retractable model with microphone, answer button, and volume control. This is the best adapter Seidio offers and I highly recommend it.

It is extends long enough to place in a case on your hip or drop in any pocket. The volume control allows for easy control without having to remove the blackberry from the case or your pocket.

The only downside of this adapter is the retract spool that hangs in the middle of the adapter. It can get a little heavy and pull down on the wires.

All in all I give the Seidio retractable adapter the highest marks. It works the best in all situations. The mic, answer button, and volume control are conveniently located for ease of use.

Great Product.

~John
Old 07-20-2007, 06:18 PM   #11
J. Rehak

PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Stereo Adapters for Pearl 8100

I have seen a couple of questions in this thread asking WHY the stereo
headphone adapters don't seem to work for the Blackberry.
The reason MOST don't work is because they don't even have the
(REQUIRED) 4-conductor plug.
Others don't work because they do not include the proper resistor
(or equivalent impedance) to "simulate" the presence of the external
microphone that the STEREO headphones sold for the 8100 have.
You can build your own stereo adapter for the pearl, the plans for the
one I built are posted at the link below, as is a picture of my home-built
adapter. BE CAREFUL purchasing on the internet as even some of the
"stereo headphones for Blackberry Pearl 8100" sold on ebay (such as
those sold under that title on eBay by Accessory Export) do not even
have the correct plug and actually route the LEFT channel audio output
to BOTH headphones!

Here is the link to the plans to build you own. You will need to view
this page and the .PDF file it points to on an internet connected
computer as the pages are NOT formatted to display correctly on
the Blackberry:

Use ANY Stereo Headphones with the Blackberry Pearl

You can build your own adapter for about $6 _IF_ you can solder!
The one I built works with every stereo headphones I have tried, so far
about 6 pairs, also provides proper output to external stereos, etc!

Have fun and enjoy the high quality stereo output of the Pearl!

John