Old 03-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
hippyer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange
Default bold 9000 problem charging

Please Login to Remove!

My phone is about two and a half years old. For the past year or so the mains charger has been working sporadicly. I used to attempt plugging it in to other mains sockets in my house and I often had success although it made no sense to me why.

Recently it has been more difficult to get it to begin charging. I found that if I fiddled with the plug part of the charger (wiggling it about) it would begin charging, that is until now.

Before my battery died I attempted to charge it with some battery life left on the phone. The charge symbol would appear, but then when I let go of the charger the symbol would dissapear.

Since the battery died I have a few times been able to get a red light, but it has gone off shortly after (about 20 seconds later).

I found my USB cable from the box I orginally bought the blackberry in and it achieves a solid red light. I left it for around 10 hours and still turn the phone on. I have no software from blackberry installed on my phone. Would that cause a problem?

I'm thinking it's a faulty mains charger, as the batter life is fine once it is actually charged, but then I question why the USB charger isn't working.

I'd appreciate someone else's thoughts. What should I do?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: bold 9000 problem charging

If the battery has run completely down, it might have been damaged. Lithium batteries do not like to be run all the way down.

First, I would try a new OEM battery, one made for the 9000. Second, I would get a new wall charger and see that works better.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

"I found that if I fiddled with the plug part of the charger (wiggling it about) it would begin charging, that is until now."

Not a good idea. The pins are very small and will bend doing this causing contact loss. I would suspect this is the issue or at least contributed to the increase in problem.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
hippyer

thank you to both of you. I have bought an item from ebay but can't post the URL.

Hopefully I wont need to do any further posts on this matter.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:08 AM   #5
hippyer

well, I've received my new battery from ebay. It was posted in a jiffy bag and half charged so I doubt it's entirely new.

My old wall charger still doesn't work.

I took the front pin connector off my wifes blackberry curve charger, attached it to my charger and this failed as well.

I plugged in my usb charger and have already found that it is working temprementally.

It is charging fully now from the usb charger but already numerous times the charge light lit up and then within moments disappeared.

Is it just a case of hope my usb charger continues to work?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyer View Post
My old wall charger still doesn't work.
perhaps purchase a new wall charger.

Quote:
I took the front pin connector off my wifes blackberry curve charger, attached it to my charger and this failed as well.
I don't understand why you did that.

Quote:
I plugged in my usb charger and have already found that it is working temprementally.

It is charging fully now from the usb charger but already numerous times the charge light lit up and then within moments disappeared.

Is it just a case of hope my usb charger continues to work?
You could try a different USB cable.