BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 07:55 PM   #21
patricd

Model: 8700g
Carrier: Tmobile

Please Login to Remove!

I followed this poster's lead (don't know which forum this was posted on). Worked like a charm for my google apps account, have been getting true push for the last 3+ months. Here's the gist of that post:

My domain, seabyrdtech.com, is hosted at google through their free beta program " Google apps for your domain". I was having problems getting my email on my Blackberry from 2 of the 5 @seabyrdtech.com accounts that I had setup through the cingular BIS server. It was pretty inconsistent and frustrating. I had deleted and recreated the accounts, and pushed service books at each step of the way to no avail. Three of the accounts worked like a charm, two did not.

So, I called cingular. They patched me through to RIM. I got an awesome tech.The RIM tech had all his email hosted at google so he knew what the problem was. He said that since RIM did not know @seabyrdtech and did not know it was at google (aka gmail) it was setting it up as a regular pop account. There is a bug in google apps for your domain-->after ~200 emails the pop stops working. The tech stated he notified google about it and they basically said, "sorry, but it IS a beta".

The workaround was to login to the @seabyrdtech.com account, disable pop, save, enable pop, save and it would start working again. He stated that that would work, but would be a huge pain every 200 emails....SO

The tech put me on hold. When he returned he asked me login to the cingular BIS, to delete one of my @seabyrdtech.com accounts, and re-create it. Normally this would lead me to the custom configuration page where you put in the pop or IMAP server, choose SSL, etc. BUT

...it immediately said "configured" without making me go to the special advanced setup. They RIM guy had made my email official at RIM so now RIM has all the settings to automagically configure all my @ seabyrdtech.com accounts!!!!

The email started flowing immediately! GAWD - I love RIM!

NOTE: if in the future I change hosting from google to someone else I will have to call RIM again and have them remove this automatic configuration.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:41 AM   #22
dougpace

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

I'm currently in the process of doing the same thing. They had trouble today, and will have to fix something about it. But the fact is that RIM is on top of it, and I have been assigned a case #, and feel confident that I will have this resolved early tomorrow. I am really pleased with RIM right now, and their willingness to work this hard to fix it. They said they are working on a long-term solution to make it automatically work in the future, but for now, they will have to help us out by manually adding us to a table of gmail hosted accounts ("doing some stuff on the backend," as they called it).

I asked if the process I followed (call Cingular, have them contact RIM) was the easiest, and they confirmed, yes, it's part of the contract that I need to start with my service provider and then they will connect you over to RIM for something that only they can do.

Kudos to RIM on how they're handling this one.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:21 PM   #23
dougpace

It totally works now - just like gmail, but with my hosted account.

RIM rocks the house.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:21 AM   #24
kd78
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

I didn't call RIM and mine started working yesterday after I read your post. Do you think RIM made a permanent fix for all hosted gmail users or is mine just going to work for like 200 emails or so?
Old 07-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #25
w9ndb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: Upon Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd78 View Post
I didn't call RIM and mine started working yesterday after I read your post. Do you think RIM made a permanent fix for all hosted gmail users or is mine just going to work for like 200 emails or so?
That is a good question. I have been sending my email out (from google hosted service) to another location that supports imap so that I could get full 2 way sync. If what you guys say is true then we should experience full 2 way sync from BIS to Google Hosted apps? That would save me a lot of trouble f it were truly 2 way. So I guess my questions are:
Is the sync between google apps 2 way?
Is there still the 200 message limit?

nb

Last edited by w9ndb; 07-24-2007 at 03:15 PM..
Old 07-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #26
w9ndb

Quote:
Originally Posted by w9ndb View Post
That is a good question. I have been sending my email out (from google hosted service) to another location that supports imap so that I could get full 2 way sync. If what you guys say is true then we should experience full 2 way sync from BIS to Google Hosted apps? That would save me a lot of trouble f it were truly 2 way. So I guess my questions are:
Is the sync between google apps 2 way?
Is there still the 200 message limit?

nb
I went ahead and set mine up and it's working very well so far. 2 way sync is working and delivery is very quick. I don't know if I'll run into the 200 message limit, I should know by tomorrow.

nb
Old 07-31-2007, 09:38 AM   #27
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
I went ahead and set mine up and it's working very well so far. 2 way sync is working and delivery is very quick. I don't know if I'll run into the 200 message limit, I should know by tomorrow.

nb
Are you still getting instant email? Did you have to contact RIM to setup the hosted domain?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:10 AM   #28
w9ndb

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
Are you still getting instant email? Did you have to contact RIM to setup the hosted domain?
Yes, it is still working for me and it is nearly instant, there may be a 10-20 second delay but it's pretty fast. I did not have to contact RIM, I used the provider interface to set it up and it worked perfectly. In my case it was the AT&Tingular site: https://mycingular.blackberry.com/
Old 07-31-2007, 12:04 PM   #29
dougpace

This sounds pretty good. Be curious to see as more reports start to trickle in, but it seems as if RIM has the automatic detection of google hosted accounts working now. Mine's been working perfectly since they got it going 12 days ago. Considering the length of time they worked with me, and their own comments, I do tend to believe they were testing out their new detection software with my account.

Of course, in typical always-greedy fashion, now I long for read/unread synch like it does with Yahoo. But truly, if it just stays like this, I think I'll be fine.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:28 PM   #30
whsbuss

Well I setup a hosted domain on google today and its not working for me. I turned on POP in the gmail account and using VZW BIS I setup the account, using pop.gmail.com for the mail server. It did complete but polling at 15 minute intervals. Under Advanced it shows port 995 using SSL for pop.gmail.com

So maybe it doesn't work for Verizon?? I would think RIM would update all thier BIS servers to recognize pop.gmail.com
Old 07-31-2007, 01:56 PM   #31
duckworth

Model: 8300
Carrier: Att

My google hosted account still isn't getting push, I have a ticket opened with RIM and it seemed to work while the tech was on the phone but now I am back to 20+ minute delays. Going to have to call back again.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:12 PM   #32
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckworth View Post
My google hosted account still isn't getting push, I have a ticket opened with RIM and it seemed to work while the tech was on the phone but now I am back to 20+ minute delays. Going to have to call back again.
Ah, so maybe its not just Verizon BIS. I've tried to integrate 2 different email accounts on one of my google hosted domains. In each case I had to turn on POP in the gmail accounts before the BIS would successfully complete. But still no pushed email only 20 minute polls.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:47 PM   #33
w9ndb

Quote:
Ah, so maybe its not just Verizon BIS. I've tried to integrate 2 different email accounts on one of my google hosted domains. In each case I had to turn on POP in the gmail accounts before the BIS would successfully complete. But still no pushed email only 20 minute polls.

Let us know how you make out.
Interesting. Mine is working really well, but it has been a google hosted account since the very early beta almost a year ago. It autodetected the setting fine, I already had pop enabled so I didn't need to do that.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:49 PM   #34
whsbuss

Quote:
Interesting. Mine is working really well, but it has been a google hosted account since the very early beta almost a year ago. It autodetected the setting fine, I already had pop enabled so I didn't need to do that.
So then you didn't need to use pop.gmail.com in the BIS setup? Interesting. I will try that.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:14 PM   #35
whsbuss

When I tried to use autodetect in the BIS it never completes. I'm wondering if my DNS record is right? Here's what I have (edited for domain & IP):

$TTL 86400
$ORIGIN net.
mydomain IN SOA ns.mydomain.net. hostmaster.mydomain.net. (
200709626 86000 7200 3600000 600 )
IN NS ns.mydomain.net.
IN NS ns2.mydomain.net.

IN A 2xx.xx.xxx.xx
IN MX 10 ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.
IN MX 20 ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.
IN MX 30 ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.
IN MX 40 ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.
IN MX 50 ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.
$ORIGIN mydomain.net.
ftp IN A 2xx.xx.xxx.xx
www IN A 2xx.xx.xxx.xx

Am I missing somethng?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:21 PM   #36
duckworth

So I spoke with RIM again regarding my ticket. The tech removed and added my account on the BIS and said he wanted to make sure my account was added the correct way, so that it was a "GMail" account. After he added it and came back from hold we did some test and it was working fine. For the first hour I was getting my messages within 2-3 minutes consistently and everything was fine, so I know it can work, but now it seems like it is back to delays. Looks like there may be issues that still need to be worked out. I just moved all my email to Google Apps and now I am not sure if I should keep it or look for another solution.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:39 PM   #37
whsbuss

Quote:
So I spoke with RIM again regarding my ticket. The tech removed and added my account on the BIS and said he wanted to make sure my account was added the correct way, so that it was a "GMail" account. After he added it and came back from hold we did some test and it was working fine. For the first hour I was getting my messages within 2-3 minutes consistently and everything was fine, so I know it can work, but now it seems like it is back to delays. Looks like there may be issues that still need to be worked out. I just moved all my email to Google Apps and now I am not sure if I should keep it or look for another solution.
The 2-3 minutes may be the standard polling flow:

1. BIS checks inbox
2. If new messages, send to BB - re-poll on extended time period 2-3 mins.
3. else if no new messages - go back to standard 15 min polling

If its done right, like those who has posted above, it should be instant just like a regular gmail.com account.

I'm still delayed like you.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:21 PM   #38
duckworth

OK, third call was a charm. The tech took another look and he said it wan't on the "notify" system. He said that there are sometimes issues with Google Apps when using your own domain where the BIS won't pick up from the mx records that it is a Google account. So this time he verified the MX records himself and manually added me the the "notify" system. Now I am getting instantaneous push email on my hosted google account. I have send messages back and forth for the past 20 minutes and they have all been instantaneous. Hopefully it will stay this way now.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:38 PM   #39
whsbuss

Quote:
OK, third call was a charm. The tech took another look and he said it wan't on the "notify" system. He said that there are sometimes issues with Google Apps when using your own domain where the BIS won't pick up from the mx records that it is a Google account. So this time he verified the MX records himself and manually added me the the "notify" system. Now I am getting instantaneous push email on my hosted google account. I have send messages back and forth for the past 20 minutes and they have all been instantaneous. Hopefully it will stay this way now.
So then the question is what is the correct MX record to include that the BIS will autodetect? That would eliminate calls to RIM to hard-wire a hosted domain.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:44 PM   #40
duckworth

Quote:
So then the question is what is the correct MX record to include that the BIS will autodetect? That would eliminate calls to RIM to hard-wire a hosted domain.
Well my DNS was set up the way the google docs specify (same as yours posted above), and it works for my email, so I'm not really sure what could be missing. There aren't many possibilities, either your mx record for your domain resolves to google or it doesn't so my guess is that there are just some bugs that still need to be worked out.

Is there anyone using Google Apps for their domain that got true push email to work without a call to RIM?
Closed Thread