BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
jnmhefley

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default This has probably been asked before but.... (wireless router question)

Please Login to Remove!

Hey I have been lurking for some time and could not find out what I was looking for. I have a hard time believing that I am the first one to ask this question, but here it is

I have an 8830 wife has an 8330 and we use them as a tethered modem. We want to set up a wireless network in our house via wireless router. How can we hook up a router and use the phone as the modem. I have seen broadband card routers, but they require you inserting the card into the router. Is there anything we can use????

Thanks

Jason
Old 01-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
HungrySage
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Telus The Future Is Friendly!

First, the 8830 has no wifi, the 8820 does. The phones are tethered in their own little land through the phone service provider (sprint), who also provides the internet. Having a router in the house has nothing to do with the phone, unless you have an 8820, then your phone can recieve internet from your home isp, not your phone's isp. You cannot take the phone's internet and split it via router. You are going to have to connect it to one computer at a time. Also, I hope sprint doesn't charge you killer charges for using your phone as a tethered modem. My carrier, Telus, wanted to stab me with $8 a mb through tethering.

EDIT: I could be wrong, but I have never heard of spitting the connection from your tethered device.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

There is an extra monthly charge to tether with Sprint, I think.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
jnmhefley

I have Sprint Everything plan for both phones with 1500 anytime minutes. Price is $139 total. No extras at all. Talking to people it seems like sprint is the way to go.

What I dont understand is that you can set up a wireless network in your house. Can I hool up phone to one computer. Link up to the internet and share that internet signal throughout the house??

It seems if I can share resources on other computers via wireless router, can I share an internet connection ???
Old 01-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

No.

You can not share resources on the BlackBerry. You are missing some of the very basic fundamentals about WiFi and networks.

The 8830 cannot connect to a WiFi router. Any discussion about sharing the connection is moot because the 8830 cannot connect to a WiFi router.

You can tether the 8830 to a PC and the PC uses Sprint's EVDO network. Not WiFi. You are mixing apples and oranges.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
wingrider78
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (8320 Titanium)

I think you are missing the OPs question...

I think he wants this setup...

BB is connected to home PC. The home pc uses the BB as internet connection. He then wants that PC connected to a wireless router (also sounds like he doesn't have an internet connection for the house, only the BB) so then connect a laptop to the router and somehow have a bridge between the BB and PC to share the BB connection to other PCs and laptops connected to the router.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
jnmhefley

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingrider78 View Post
Wirelessly posted (8320 Titanium)

I think you are missing the OPs question...

BB is connected to home PC. The home pc uses the BB as internet connection. He then wants that PC connected to a wireless router (also sounds like he doesn't have an internet connection for the house, only the BB) so then connect a laptop to the router and somehow have a bridge between the BB and PC to share the BB connection to other PCs and laptops connected to the router.
Yeah, I guess I should have been more clear. Sorry about that. Where I live we do not get DSL or Cable. The only thing we could get was satellite, and that is a horrible connection. BB is faster than DSL but not as good as Cable.

So you have it correct. Can this be done????
Old 01-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

You can't share the internet connection on a BlackBerry. It has no routing capabilities.

This is VERY confusing. You can't do what you are trying to do.

The BB is acting as a modem, but does not have Internet Connection Sharing capabilities.

Last edited by NJBlackBerry; 01-11-2009 at 05:34 PM..
Old 01-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #9
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780

What about something like this.

Kyocera PC Mobility - Kyocera KR2 Mobile Router

I have used this (someone else's at a meeting) when they had a EVDO card inserted, but it claims to do it with the USB connection as well.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Just to chime in, the 8330 and 8830 also have Rev 0 speeds, meaning you can surf the web, but if you want to do any big file downloading or uploading your going to get CRAP for bandwidth and speed.

You would be better served to just buy Sprint connection cards (which are Rev A and a lot faster than a tethered BB).
Old 01-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #11
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780

Related to the issue of speed, you might want to be careful with any solution in that you could easily run up large downloads exceeding 5 gb/month, at which point I believe that all of the cell companies have a hissy fit.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #12
jnmhefley

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
What about something like this.

I have used this (someone else's at a meeting) when they had a EVDO card inserted, but it claims to do it with the USB connection as well.
Thank you very much. That is exactly what I was looking for. I will post an update when I hook it up if any one cares to hear it

Thanks again

Jason
Old 01-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #13
Markcarovilli

do a search for Cradlepoint. it will hook up to your BB via USB and give you a wireless network!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #14
jjmach
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

In my opinion, you may be able to share it, on your PC you need to setup the BB as modem, it will create a connection callled CDMA, if you go to the properties of this connection and go to the advance tab, there is the settings for internet sharing. Basically your computer will share the connection, not the BB. This should work no matter if you are using a dial-up connection or a cable connection.

Regards
Old 01-27-2009, 05:31 AM   #15
Mowgli_Boy

Default Wireless Router Problem

I have an 8830 wife has an 8330 and we use them as a tethered modem. We want to set up a wireless network in our house via wireless router. How can we hook up a router and use the phone as the modem. I have seen broadband card routers, but they require you inserting the card into the router. Is there anything we can use????

Follow these steps:
1./Enable Internet Conection Sharing on the PC has the DIAL Up Conection through your Mobile phone (as a Modem device); In the "Choose Private Connection" box, select the LOCAL AREA CONNECTION. You have to disconnect and Reconnect the Dial up connection to activate the ICS.

2/ Connect that PC to INTERNET port of you wireless router device by a CAT 5 Cable (RJ-45 connector).
3/ go to the wireless router web page (most cases, 192.168.1.1 and set up your wireless home network a normal, be sure to you have the your router in Dynamic mode on the WAN connection.
That is it. If you have any question or problem with this, shoot me an Email I can walk you through all that. There are a lot more you can do with this, even without the wireless router. My Email: Info "at" IT-Sites.Info
Old 01-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #16
phantomtech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9850

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Just to chime in, the 8330 and 8830 also have Rev 0 speeds, meaning you can surf the web, but if you want to do any big file downloading or uploading your going to get CRAP for bandwidth and speed.

You would be better served to just buy Sprint connection cards (which are Rev A and a lot faster than a tethered BB).
I will disagree here but also agree... I have the 8830 with Sprint and I also have a Sprint Connection Card. I sometimes get faster downloads with the 8830 then I do with the Connection Card, 90% of the time the Connection Card is faster. Linksys does make a wireless router that works specifically with Sprint Connection Cards. You may want to check them out.