Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 03:41 AM   #1
afs

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default Input language changed and can't unlock device

Please Login to Remove!

Someone with a warped sense of humour appears to have changed the input language on my 8820 to a non-roman alphabet where the characters I type appear at the right hand side of the password box. This would be fine if they hadn't also locked my device, and it's not accepting my password!!!

Does anyone have a solution to this? It looks like the ALT+Enter shortcut to change my input language has also been disabled

Many thanks for any solutions!
Old 09-01-2007, 08:50 AM   #2
Dude
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (**Dark Blue 8800**: BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I had that happen to me once. It wasn't a right-to-left language, but it was non-roman. I was able to unlock it by pretending that nothing had changed, that is I simply typed in my password using the letters and symbols printed on the keyboard.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
Dude
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310

Your other solution is to backup the device, wipe it, and restore. The desktop software will ask for the password, but you'll be able to type in on your computer keyboard.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
afs

Thanks - I tried that and it doesn't appear to have solved the problem. Now I've used up my first 5 attempts and it's asking me to type "blackberry" to continue - but of course I can't do that either!!

I've tried various combinations of shift and alt and nothing seems to have done the trick - the only good news is that I have managed to take a backup of everything via Desktop Manager which does still accept my password!

Any other suggestions greatfully accepted.

Thanks!!!
Old 09-01-2007, 10:54 AM   #5
afs

Well I've phoned Orange UK who provided my Blackberry and they have said the only solution is to actually replace the device! They are going to courier a new one to me tomorrow morning (yup, Sunday!!) between 9am and 1pm.

I've backed up my existing device but will everything work still if I swap my SIM into the new device, or will I need my IT guys (who don't work weekends) to change anything on the BES bearing in mind my IMEI and PIN will change?

Any info gratefully received!
Old 09-01-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
afs

I've probably been thinking too much, but if I use javaloader to wipe my existing 8820 and then reload the Orange OS, might that solve the problem? Or do I still lose my connection to the BES and my email etc.?

I'm too new to this so don't understand how the BB is setup to retrieve my email - it's synchronised with my work Exchange server but I don't know how this is set up and of course I can't navigate the menus to see this now

Of course if I do a full restore once I've wiped and reinstalled the OS, I guess it might well restore the language setting as well?

Tip of the day: under no circumstances trust your best friend when he says "oh let me look at your new toy"

Sorry if this is asking a load of questions answered elsewhere but I've had a good dig around and not found the answer yet.... still looking though!
Old 09-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Yes, you will need to reactivate your new BB on the BES. If you have desktop Manager connected to your corporate email then you can start activation by connecting the BB to the desktop Manager. Otherwise you'll need your IT dept to set a password for OTA activation. It's simple but you'll need to talk to them to get it setup.

Last edited by John Clark; 09-01-2007 at 11:33 AM..
Old 09-01-2007, 11:33 AM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Yes, you can use javaloader to wipe and reinstall the OS, but you'll still need to reactivate the BB with the BES.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:09 PM   #9
afs

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Yes, you will need to reactivate your new BB on the BES. If you have desktop Manager connected to your corporate email then you can start activation by connecting the BB to the desktop Manager. Otherwise you'll need your IT dept to set a password for OTA activation. It's simple but you'll need to talk to them to get it setup.
Many thanks John - I have MS Outlook and my Desktop Manager is using my standard Outlook profile and can hopefully communicate with the Exchange server. Do you know if that is sufficient to start activation? If not I'll have to eat some humble pie with the IT dept on Monday
Old 09-01-2007, 12:15 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

After the javaloader wipe you'll need to reinstall the OS. Download it from your carrier's download site. You can find that here. Then, connect to your vpn or lan (whatever is required to get online with your corporate email system.) Then plug in the device and run destktop Manager. It should say "online" indicating an online connection with your email. It may not connect to the device right away, though since there won't be an OS. Just run application loader and load the new OS. When it's all done, the device will reboot. Leave it plugged in for a few more minutes to let the activation start.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:47 PM   #11
afs

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Then plug in the device and run destktop Manager. It should say "online" indicating an online connection with your email. It may not connect to the device right away, though since there won't be an OS. Just run application loader and load the new OS. When it's all done, the device will reboot. Leave it plugged in for a few more minutes to let the activation start.
Well before I do the wipe, I've connected my locked BB and Desktop Manager currently says "Online" so I'll keep my fingers crossed

Just downloading the OS now.

Again, many thanks.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:58 PM   #12
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Don't be alarmed if the wipe takes some time. If content protection was enabled sometimes the wipes can take a couple hours.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:46 PM   #13
afs

Success!!!

I used javaloader to wipe my 8820, downloaded the Orange OS and reinstalled using Desktop Manager.

After a few minutes the BB re-associated itself with the BES and all is rosy. And I've given myself access to BB Maps at the same time, since Orange seemed to think I shouldn't be able to do that...

John, many thanks for your help.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:47 PM   #14
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Great! Did you get some new themes too? You do it simlar to the LBS.alx except edit the Blackberry.alx.
Closed Thread