BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
cmjeanphilippe

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Default Truely Unlocking The SPRINT 8830!!

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, i'm obviously a noob to this site as a user but yet i've been here millions of times before, but anyways i keep hearing all this crap about Sprint's version of the 8830 being "already unlocked", but yet i don't think anyone really defined in what sense that blackberry is unlocked...i myself went over to Sprint for a short amount of time last month specifically for the Blackberry 8830 and the sound of the phone itself being unlocked was extreamly appealing if anything but yet i don't think thats the case....i went ahead and tested this theory and took my wife's sim card (AT&T) and put it into the blackberry and to my surprise, it worked, but yet Sprint's Customer Service was so damn crappy that i went ahead and switched over to AT&T and because of the initial test i had done with my wife's sim in my blackberry i automatically assumed that the phone would be fine......well to my surprise the AT&T sim card wouldn't work in the blackberry at all......i called AT&T and the tech reps said that they couldn't even pull up the phone on their network at all, it was as if the phone were invisible....so my question through all of this is........IS SPRINT'S BB TRUELY UNLOCKED? I mean i know i can use the damn phone in other countries, which im easily able to do with my curve by the way (with no unlocking or anything, it came as is) but is the Sprint BB able to be used on the U.S. GSM Network? If it is then WHERE CAN I GET AN UNLOCK FOR THE U.S.?!?!?!? Or is it only capable of picking up foreign GSM/GPRS Networks?

Last edited by cmjeanphilippe; 09-06-2007 at 06:26 PM..
Old 09-06-2007, 06:24 PM   #2
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjeanphilippe View Post
Ok, i'm obviously a noob to this site as a user but yet i've been here millions of times before, but anyways i keep hearing all this sh!t about Sprint's version of the 8830 being "already unlocked", but yet i don't think anyone really defined in what sense that blackberry is unlocked...i myself went over to Sprint for a short amount of time last month specifically for the Blackberry 8830 and the sound of the phone itself being unlocked was extreamly appealing if anything but yet i don't think thats the case....i went ahead and tested this theory and took my wife's sim card (AT&T) and put it into the blackberry and to my surprise, it worked, but yet Sprint's Customer Service was so fcuking crappy that i went ahead and switched over to AT&T and because of the initial test i had done with my wife's sim in my blackberry i automatically assumed that the phone would be fine......well to my surprise the AT&T sim card wouldn't work in the blackberry at all......i called AT&T and the tech reps said that they couldn't even pull up the phone on their network at all, it was as if the phone were invisible....so my question through all of this is........IS SPRINT'S BB TRUELY UNLOCKED? I mean i know i can use the damn phone in other countries and sh!t, which im easily able to do with my curve by the way (with no unlocking or anything, it came as is) but is the Sprint BB able to be used on the U.S. GSM Network? If it is then WHERE IN THE **** CAN I GET AN UNLOCK FOR THE U.S.?!?!?!? Or is it only capable of picking up foreign GSM/GPRS Networks?
GSMPhonesource is used by a lot of members... You may want to edit you post a tad as the Mods might be a bit taken back by the explicatives....

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 09-06-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
cmjeanphilippe

Thanks i'll test it out and see how it goes, i left my phone at work so once i get there tomorrow i'll test it
Old 09-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Link

GSM PhoneSource - When Only The Best Will Do

Old 09-06-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
cmjeanphilippe

i've jus looked around and read a few posts from other people stating that they've recieved less than stellar service from this website, how am i so sure you're not steering me into another dead end.......i really don't wanna end up putting up a new post " I HATE GSMPHONESource!!!!"
Old 09-06-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
i've jus looked around and read a few posts from other people stating that they've recieved less than stellar service from this website, how am i so sure you're not steering me into another dead end.......i really don't wanna end up putting up a new post " I HATE GSMPHONESource!!!!"

Just trying to be helpful take it or leave it ...I think most members would view me unbiased and sincere in my attempts to help. Search a little more and I think you will see a variety of opinions on the company.

Start here -----> http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...e-so-fast.html

Old 09-06-2007, 07:38 PM   #7
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

The GSM portion of both the Verizon and Sprint 8830 will NOT work in the US if that is what you are trying to do. It is on a different frequency band than we use here in the US.

It is CDMA only here in the US, which means the Verizon phone only works on Verizon's network and Sprint's 8830 only works on the Sprint network. (Basically Verizon and Sprint will not allow the other's phone on their network, no matter if it is the same model.)

Last edited by Dubdub; 09-06-2007 at 07:43 PM..
Old 09-06-2007, 09:06 PM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

On the topic of GSMPhoneSource, I've had nothing but stellar service from them. Occasionally someone's request gets lost in the shuffle, or a person contacts them for their service when the owner goes on vacation. It happens. But not too often, considering they've unlocked probably thousands of phones.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:47 PM   #9
bradhs
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Ditto here.. gsmphonesource has done an awesome job for my customers and I... I've unlocked numerous phones at different times. Sometimes is may take a little longer to get the unlock code, but hey, that life.

yeah, I don't eat fast food.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:57 PM   #10
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I think the OP didn't do his homework before getting the 8830.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:26 PM   #11
Dude
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310

Quote:
but is the Sprint BB able to be used on the U.S. GSM Network? If it is then WHERE CAN I GET AN UNLOCK FOR THE U.S.?!?!?!? Or is it only capable of picking up foreign GSM/GPRS Networks?
Just to reiterate Dubdub's earlier post - the 8830 uses European GSM frequencies, and therefore cannot be used on American GSM.

Last edited by Dude; 09-06-2007 at 10:27 PM..
Old 09-06-2007, 10:28 PM   #12
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Yup, and this is standard for the so called worldphones
Old 09-07-2007, 12:24 PM   #13
supersnoop

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

GSM World Coverage Map- GSM Country List by frequency bands

The 8830 only has GSM 900mhz and 1800mhz bands built in. North America and the west side of South America use GSM on the 850mhz and 1900mhz band.
Closed Thread