BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 11:37 AM   #1
g0dFather

Model: 7105T
Carrier: T-Mobile
Lightbulb RIM software and Windows XP 64/Microsoft Outlook 2003 - This is what I did!!

Please Login to Remove!

Since RIM still has not introduced 64-bit Device drivers, I had to figure out a work around. It may not be simple but it works! If you are not techinically savvy, I would recommend getting help. The software needed is free but you do need a working copy of Windows 2000 or XP.

First, I completely shared the folder that contains my Outlook .pst file. I assigned a TOUGH password to it since I am on a network (another option would be to share the folder only when you perform the sync).

VMWare allows you to create a virtual computer that runs on your physical computer. VMWare Server Console (type 'vmware server' in google for the link) is a free download and extremely powerful and stable. After installing it on my Windows XP 64 computer, I created a New Virtual Machine with a 4GB hard drive, 256MB RAM (my PC has 1GB), and all the other default settings. Be sure to install the USB support. On this virtual machine, I installed Windows 2000, Office 2003, and the RIM software. Do not set up email accounts in the 'virtual' Outlook...we only want it to sync! When completed, I burned all the VMWare files to a DVD-R in case of emergency backup (this is a personal preference).

Your virtual computer is listed as a separate computer in the network and should be able to transfer files to and from the host computer. I pointed the virtual Outlook to look at the .pst file on the XP64 PC, set up the RIM software and BAM! I'm synced.

It's a pain to set up at first which is why I make the emergency backup. If it goes bad for whatever reason, I don't want to have to start from scratch (took me four hours but I also ran all Windows Updates and hit a few obsticles). But now, it takes less than five minutes to shut down Outlook, launch VMWare and virtual Outlook, run the sync, and shut down VMWare. No separate computers, no dual booting, no having separate .pst files, etc.

One key thing to remember is only run one Outlook at a time. I don't know if anything would happen if you accidentally ran both at the same time, but I don't want to find out.

I hope this works for you...good luck!

Last edited by g0dFather; 10-13-2006 at 11:59 AM..
Old 10-16-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
autsoldnow
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: Telus

May I ask you what applications you are using that require you need Windows XP x64?

Andrew
Old 10-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
g0dFather

Quote:
Originally Posted by autsoldnow
May I ask you what applications you are using that require you need Windows XP x64?

Andrew
None that I know of at the moment. I just built a new 64-bit system and naturally purchased the 64-bit OS to go with it. I do see a huge improvement in speed even with 32-bit applications so it was the right move.

Since all new machines, pre-built and custom, have been moving into the 64-bit arena for the past year, I believe RIM does need to get a move on with 64-bit drivers.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:05 AM   #4
autsoldnow
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0dFather
Since all new machines, pre-built and custom, have been moving into the 64-bit arena for the past year, I believe RIM does need to get a move on with 64-bit drivers.
Your out to lunch with this comment as there are no applications that take advantage of the 64-bit archecture as of yet, plus there isn't anything written in stone regarding other 32-bit hardware being fully supported in the 64-bit environment. Even ATI and NVidia don't promise their 64bit drivers will working 100% of the time yet.

When Vista becomes available next year you should more drivers and application dedicated to the 64-bit systems then there is now.

I bet if the Blackberry was around when NT 4.0 Server was you'd be making the same dumb comment that RIM should support BES under MIPS?? (lol)

Andrew
Old 10-18-2006, 11:00 PM   #5
g0dFather

"dumb" comment? Please don't bring your "dumb" butt into this thread posting your opinion nobody cares about. It doesn't matter if 1 or 100,000 applications are currently "taking advantage" of 64-bit architecture (check your spelling next time). The fact is it's here. Games such as Half-Life 2 and Unreal Tournament 2004 now have 64-bit support. Adobe Photoshop CS2 takes huge advantage of the 64-bit architecture. No applications? Now that's a dumb comment.

Also, say what you want but XP 64 is finally running faster and more stable then XP (after many windows updates). Spend time with it for a few weeks then install XP and you'll see a difference.

I understand that it takes time to develop stable drivers, and I wouldn't expect RIM to release unstable ones. But the fact remains that XP 64-bit is being sold on new machines as I type, and the Blackberry owner that buys one is hosed. I offered a work-around, the first one I've seen in this forum so far. So if you can't show support then please go bother someone else's thread.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:14 AM   #6
flapinux

Model: 7105t

autsoldnow is an amusing troller, he misspells everything, doesn't have any clue about software support or the fact that the larger registers on 64 bit processors make it much faster on anything math-related by about 4-fold... Yet he *****es like he's bitter about being left behind or something.

I agree completely with g0dFather in that there is a demand for 64 bit drivers and in any company with "good customer support" in mind, it shouldn't be very difficult to support users with more than 1 operating system available.. I personally would like xp64 supported and linux as I use both. I haven't used xp32 in about a year now and good riddance, that OS is so patched up it's starting to run poorly.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:15 PM   #7
docgoku

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

I do web development at work, with some image editing. With photoshop being the exception, most of my applications will not make use of the 64bit abilities of my processor and OS.

However, windows xp 64-bit is noticeably faster than it's 32bit counter part. That has been the biggest advantage, where driver support for pretty much everything has been a problem. (printers, BBs, ect)

So, it's faster...hands down...b/c it's calculations are faster. Just b/c some applications haven't taken advantage doesn't mean the whole 64bit OS movement is garbage.
Closed Thread