Old 05-14-2006, 01:39 PM   #1
gdob
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T
Default Looking for definitive battery draining advice

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone,

Although I have only been a member of this group for a week or so, I know better than to pose a question that has been discussed in various forums. Thus I searched for information prior to deciding to post the question I am about to ask. I did find references to the issue I wish to discuss, but could not locate a definitive answer. My question regards draining the battery on my new 8700c. On three occasions, I have allowed the battery to run down to the point where network contact has been lost (with approximately 15% charge remaining). I have then recharged the battery. However, although I only make 2 or 3 brief calls (lasting no more than a few minutes) and surf the Internet for about 1/2 hour each day, I find that I have to recharge the battery every few days (I also do not turn off the unit, but allow it to "sleep"). Therefore, I am asking for advice about whether it is best to allow the battery to full discharge. I am sorry to be a bother, but would really appreciate a response. I'll be more intelligent in weeks to come.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:10 PM   #2
AlbertoM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

The BackBerry 8700 uses Lithium Ion batteries. They do not build a "memory" like the nickel-cadnium batteries do, nor do they need discharging like the NiCads. In fact, a deep discharge is harmful to Lithium Ion batteries - so don't do that.

All that you ever wanted to know about batteries can be found at http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

We all have to recharge the battery every few days - just how long do you expect your battery to go without recharging? This is not a black and white Palm PDA which could go a couple weeks without hitting the charger. The battery is used even when it "sleeps", as you put it. In my case, my battery gets charged every night. I have to sleep anyway, so the BB gets plugged in at my nightstand. BTW, that is another thing with Lithium Ion. You can't overcharge them....

Hope this helps.

Last edited by AlbertoM; 05-14-2006 at 02:14 PM..
Old 05-14-2006, 02:24 PM   #3
BeetC

Model: 7100T

Great post. Iget about a day out of my 7100. and throw it on the charger for the night. The only time the battery truly runs down is wen I have to get up earl for work and I forget to charge it.

8700G
PIN: 23D4AE75
Old 05-14-2006, 03:23 PM   #4
cooperpwc
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

AlbertoM, I'm glad you posted this. There has been lots of talk on BBF about the need to do triple deep discharges of the battery, and I don't buy into it. Lithium Ion batteries don't require that treatment.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:54 PM   #5
delmarco
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9790
Carrier: T-Mobile

When I get home at 8-10 pm every night I get about 75% to 85% left from my 8700g. I find turning bluetooth off and the wireless off when I'm on the subway or at the gym or in class or the movies is better, than vibrate/silent mode.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:56 PM   #6
gdob

AlbertoM, I could only get a day or two out of my PDA. And if I pushed on it a little hard, it would break. Then I would have to sharpen it....hmm, sorry I was talking about the pencils that I once used to write with. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks to everyone for the responses to my question. Now, if I can only encourage my students to be as responsive, I will truly have achieved something. Then again, I need to find a way to convince them that I shouldn't be the only person in the classroom who opens and actually reads the textbook. Ah the joys of teaching at a university.

Have a great evening, all.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:56 PM   #7
jsuen

Model: 7130e
Carrier: cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc
AlbertoM, I'm glad you posted this. There has been lots of talk on BBF about the need to do triple deep discharges of the battery, and I don't buy into it. Lithium Ion batteries don't require that treatment.
You only need to do a triple-deep discharge if a Li-Ion has sat unused for a long period and it self discharges. Even if you do that, there's a permanent loss of capacity. That's a guaranteed way to kill a Li-Ion, they need to be used, or at least cycled once a month.

A single full cycle will recalibrate the battery fuel gauge.

I once came across a great page with self-discharge curves and a demonstration of the loss of capacity after storage. It showed that the best way to long-term store the battery was at 50%. I'll see if I can find it again.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:15 PM   #8
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Best advice I can give is

- Charge it whenever you get the opportunity. 'Topping it up' is just fine
- Don't get a spare "just in case" unless you actually use it. Lithium cells degrade no matter if you use them or not.

Consider the battery a consumable. When it does eventually show reduced capacity, just replace it witha fresh newly manufactured one...

And one of the biggest variables to battery life is the proximity you are from a cell tower. A phone may transmit at up to 2W if it's a way from the tower. 100 times less if it's very close. So if home and/or work has a poor signal, expect the battery to go flat more quickly.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:32 PM   #9
gdob

And I really did appreciate the help, AlbertoM. In fact, I deeply appreciate the comments from all. As stated, I am a new member of this board, but it took only a very short time to realize the great benefit that is derived from being associated with such a fine group. Thanks to all for taking the time to help.
Closed Thread