Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 08:13 AM   #81
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

So I saw it somewhere, but remind me again, what is the business relationship that Cingular has that it won't team with Yahoo, and why isn't that more public.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:53 AM   #82
cooperpwc
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly
Thanks. Are you using Outlook? Can you confirm you don't see mail from your BB as sent 'on behalf of' your Yahoo account? That was an issue with trying to do this stuff with Google (nothing to do with Yahoo or BB, but I wanted to ask to make sure) .
Uh, oh. Good that you asked. I just tested it again, renaming my account 'temporary@yahoo.com'. I sent an email to my POP3 account and downloaded it into Outlook. My original email address is nowhere to be found. It was From and Reply To [email address].
However... when I replied to that address, it bounced back as "delivery error: dd This user doesn't have a yahoo.com account (temporary@yahoo.com)".
So that won't work after all. You can hide your address but the replacement address won't be functional for accepting email.
Now if you have Yahoo MailPlus you get disposable alternative email addresses and you could disguise your account as one of those. That should work.

EDIT: I think that the personal part of my email address was revealed in part of the Internet Header but not in relation to @yahoo.com. Difficult to say since that is also the personal part of my blackberry address. In any event, you really have to be a power user to get that far in analysing an email's Internet Header which is usually hidden.

Last edited by cooperpwc; 07-02-2006 at 10:04 AM..
Old 07-02-2006, 02:59 PM   #83
cooperpwc

Quote:
If this works, it's a way to get multiple email addresses, all working push.
  1. Set up mutiple Yahoo accounts as 'intermediary accounts', one for each of your "source" accounts (the email addresses you want to integrate with your BB)
  2. Forward mails to the appropriate Yahoo account from each of your "source" email accounts
  3. Set up the From/Reply to address for each Yahoo account to be the email address of the forwarding ("source") account as appropriate
Your BB then gets all mail instantly (no polling) and you can reply as if from the source email address, and nobody can tell a BB or Yahoo account was involved, right?
Following on my last post, what you are suggesting here should also work. So long as the From/Reply to address can receive email.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:15 PM   #84
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc
Uh, oh. Good that you asked. I just tested it again, renaming my account 'temporary@yahoo.com'.
I was suggesting, for example,
  1. You have the email address [email address]
  2. You set your BB to integrate with a Yahoo account you set up [email address]
  3. You set BIS From address to [email address] for the Yahoo account [email address]
  4. Mail sent to your [email address] address you have forwarded to [email address], which arrives on your BB immediately.
  5. You reply to this mail, and the receipient thinks it fully comes from [email address]

I would not expect what you tried to work as 'temporary@yahoo.com' doesn't really exist anywhere, does it?

The issues behind what I'm asking are
  • How does mail sent this way from the BB look to the receipient
  • Does a Yahoo account integrated with BIS 2.0 still allow a from address to be customised
Old 07-02-2006, 10:04 PM   #85
cooperpwc

Quote:
I would not expect what you tried to work as 'temporary@yahoo.com' doesn't really exist anywhere, does it?
Nope.

Quote:
The issues behind what I'm asking are
  • How does mail sent this way from the BB look to the receipient
  • Does a Yahoo account integrated with BIS 2.0 still allow a from address to be customised
The answer is that what you propose should work. Emails that you send will certainly appear as From [email address]. Sent emails would still be deposited in your [email address] Sent box. No one would know that you are using Yahoo.
Basically you want to do with a Yahoo account what is often done with a blackberry.net account: account emulation. Assuming that the emails you autoforward to [email address] then get pushed out to your Blackberry, (and I can't imagine why they wouldn't be - so long as they don't get caught in the Spam filters which you can turn off), the system will otherwise work.

Last edited by cooperpwc; 07-02-2006 at 10:34 PM..
Old 07-03-2006, 06:55 AM   #86
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Thanks. I do this (account emulation) with 1.8. I was trying to work out if I could do it for multiple account with BIS 2.0 BEFORE I migrated...
Old 07-07-2006, 07:51 PM   #87
MCTMHLG

Model: 7290

just "upgraded" from 1.8 to 2.0 yesterday. at cingular bb site I specified a personal or business "from" address for each email account. but when compose email on bb, I am not given option of which "from" address to use. It uses default (business) address. Only if I'm replying (not composing) to an email that came in on one of the personal email accounts.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:59 PM   #88
MCTMHLG

I just answered my own question how one finds the alleged choices of from addresses. When composing on bb, I noticed top line was "using: Web Client." Curious as to what that meant, I clicked on it, and, behold, a menu of my 4 email addresses. Shows you what a little fussing or fusting around can do.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:02 AM   #89
cooperpwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTMHLG
I just answered my own question how one finds the alleged choices of from addresses. When composing on bb, I noticed top line was "using: Web Client." Curious as to what that meant, I clicked on it, and, behold, a menu of my 4 email addresses. Shows you what a little fussing or fusting around can do.
Even simpler. Go to the Send Using field and scroll through your accounts with the spacebar. It will then remember the last account you used for any email address. You can choose the default account for email addresses to which no memory is assigned by going to Options, Advanced Options Message Service.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:00 PM   #90
MCTMHLG

Default from address default

Thanks. That worked.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:09 PM   #91
Malarky22
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon
Default Is there a way to keep messages out of main folder?

I am with verizon using a BES, and just set up my BIS to handle Gmail. I noticed that there is a new icon on the BB. I then noticed that when I get a message in the Gmail folder (icon), the same message is in the main messages folder. I was hoping to keep personal email separate from business email. Is there a way to do this?

Also, after reading this thread, if I delete a message from the Gmail folder, if wireless reconciliation is on, will the message also be deleted from my Gmail account? There does not seem to be a way to set preferences for each email account, just 1 preference for all emails.

Thanks!

Last edited by Malarky22; 07-12-2006 at 01:15 PM..
Old 07-15-2006, 06:51 AM   #92
Brad00111
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300C
Carrier: ATT

I want to be able to get my Business email on my BB (I have OWA 2003) but I dont want the BB to go off everytime I get an email, I just get too many a day and I don't want it going off 24/7, but I do want it to go off when I get personal emails. Is there any way of setting up BIS or even on the BB so when I get a Business email it does not alert me but when I get a personal one it does?

Thanks for the help.

RIM 950 > Nextel 6510 > Nextel 7520 > Cingular 7100 > Cingular 8700 > Cingular 8800 > Cingular 8300
Old 07-15-2006, 12:47 PM   #93
rcbjr

Model: 8700

You may be able to do this with filters on your BIS accnt. Set a filter for each personal account such that all mail to that account is set to Level 1. But don't set that filter to your Business account. Then in your profile turn off the notification for messages, but set Level 1 notification on.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Old 07-15-2006, 04:31 PM   #94
Brad00111

Awesome that was the only thing holding me back from switching. I didn't know if you could still do Level 1 filters in 2.0. Thanks a lot!

RIM 950 > Nextel 6510 > Nextel 7520 > Cingular 7100 > Cingular 8700 > Cingular 8800 > Cingular 8300
Old 07-15-2006, 05:42 PM   #95
rcbjr

Model: 8700

I think you can, but now that you mention it, I can't verify, because I refuse to switch. The new features, just don't overcome the lost capabilities

Sorry if I have mis-led you.
Rcbjr
Old 07-15-2006, 05:55 PM   #96
Brad00111

Its ok I verified it as I switched over. It works just fine!

Thanks

-Brad

Old 07-19-2006, 09:53 PM   #97
ql218

Model: 7130C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioHazardx
In an earlier post - someone made mention to 2.0 support OWA (Outlook Web Access). Can someone elaborate on what that actually means?

I want to go back to BB but don't want to spend the $45/mo to use my company BES.

I can load the redirector on a server but know that just gets me email - no PIM functions.

What does using OWA get me? We have OWA enabled - although we are NOT using the IMAP part of it - is that necessary? Past experience w/ my Mac's mail program which "supported" OWA but needed IMAP makes me wonder.

If I am able to connect and function properly with OWA and 2.0 - will I get anything more than just email? ie. PIM syncs?

Thanks
I am using BIS with OWA and it works well. It WILL reconcile your exchange account. I have it set where if I delete on my BB it will also delete on the account and it does. It will also store your sent messages. The only downside is that it's not as fast as BES. With Cingular it ranges between a minute or two to 15 minutes after the message is sent until your BB gets it. Oh that and you can't sync PIM data.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:23 PM   #98
12ozProphets

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel
Unhappy

I just upgraded 2 days ago to 2.0 and am now cannot sent email to anyone in my business domain.

On 1.8 I had the reply-to set to [email address] and everything worked as expected. On 2.0 if I set the reply-to to [email address], then I can't send email to the mycompany.com domain. The reason that the 2.0 mail server sends mail with the SMTP 'MAIL FROM' set to [email address] and my companies mail server rejects the email because it is set to not allow someone else to masquerade as mycompany.com.

1.8 would correctly specify the SMTP 'MAIL FROM' as [email address] and send a reply-to header of [email address] as it should.

I'm not sure how to work around this because our companies email admin says he's not turning off the masquerade feature.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:50 AM   #99
bworrest

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Default Problem with BIS 2.0

I was recently upgraded from 1.8 to 2.0. 1.8 worked fine, but 2.0 sends me multiple copies of some e-mails sent to one of my e-mail accounts. That e-mail account is coming from a Lotus Domino server. Any suggestions for a cure?
Old 10-30-2006, 05:19 PM   #100
dw5

Default Downgrade from 2.0 to 1.8

Might anyone know how to downgrade from Blackberry Internet Service 2.0 to 1.8? After I agreed to the upgrade, I am no longer able to receive e-mails on my Blackberry. Pin to pin works great and I am able to send e-mail from my Blackberry, but no e-mail comes through to the device.

I deleted the webclient service book and resent it, but that did not help and now my Blackberry has no webclient service book. I was on the phone with Verizon for four hours and they do not have any answers.

Very much could use any suggestions. I have the 7130

Thanks,

DW5
Closed Thread