Old 12-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
Casper TFG
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2 UK
Default Please help me configure my browser settings for surfing web forums

Please Login to Remove!

I surf a lot of web forums, most are Vbulletin, many do not have WAP or mobile enabled 'skins'.

I am lost as for what to have ticked - what not to have ticked in the all the BB browser options.

I want the forums to be fixed inside the width of my BB screen, (I only want to be scrolling up and down.. not sideways)

I dont know if I need java, wml / html - I could do without the ads and smilies but if I DO need to see images to know where all the function buttons are - so be it ..

I have tried it without images (to get faster performance) but I am suffering overlapping text (have I got the font too big?) and it takes for ever to "loading style sheets"

My question really is - what browser configuration settings will assist web forums to load up fast on a BB.

I need all the drop down menus to operate etc..

So ... Lean and mean Browser setting suggestions for a forum addict please..

Many thanks in advance..

P.S. Confession - I am on an old OS 4.2.2.141 (sad but true) Before you kill me for not upgrading already, let me tell you I am a Mac user and its not that easy to upgrade with a Mac (OK, now kill me)

P.P.S - I am aware that THIS forum has a BB friendly WAP version (great!), its forums WITHOUT That sort of thing I need the settings for.. Thanks

Last edited by Casper TFG; 12-09-2008 at 06:20 PM..
Old 12-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
jmwking
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper TFG View Post
I surf a lot of web forums, most are Vbulletin, many do not have WAP or mobile enabled 'skins'.

I am lost as for what to have ticked - what not to have ticked in the all the BB browser options.

I want the forums to be fixed inside the width of my BB screen, (I only want to be scrolling up and down.. not sideways)

I dont know if I need java, wml / html - I could do without the ads and smilies but if I DO need to see images to know where all the function buttons are - so be it ..

I have tried it without images (to get faster performance) but I am suffering overlapping text (have I got the font too big?) and it takes for ever to "loading style sheets"

My question really is - what browser configuration settings will assist web forums to load up fast on a BB.

I need all the drop down menus to operate etc..

So ... Lean and mean Browser setting suggestions for a forum addict please..

Many thanks in advance..

P.S. Confession - I am on an old OS 4.2.2.141 (sad but true) Before you kill me for not upgrading already, let me tell you I am a Mac user and its not that easy to upgrade with a Mac (OK, now kill me)

P.P.S - I am aware that THIS forum has a BB friendly WAP version (great!), its forums WITHOUT That sort of thing I need the settings for.. Thanks
I manage a vBul board (modest traffic: about 1,000 active members and 20k posts a month) and find Opera Mini in Mobile view works best for me. I don't do admin stuff from my BB, but do a good bit of moderating.

-jk
Old 12-10-2008, 03:17 AM   #3
Casper TFG
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Ha!

I am a forum moderato and I ALSO use Opera Mini!
But when I get an emailed notice's (I get a lot) its tedious to have to copy and paste each link into Opera Mini...

Also (probably like you) I find not all the moderation functions work (at least they don't on the stipped down version of Oper Mini that I like to run)

Mabey this is just one more 'I wish Opera Mini could be made the defalt browser' thread... Hehe

I am hoping there will be light at the end of the tunnel.I should be picking up a new BB 8900 in vary late December... Hopefully the browser on its OS 4.6 will be nice and fast with all the extra memory it has and I won't NEED to use Opera Mini any more...

Fingers crossed!

Thanks v much let's keep a dialog going..
Old 12-10-2008, 03:19 AM   #4
Casper TFG
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

I am on Opera Mini 4.111328

What version are you using?
Old 12-10-2008, 03:23 AM   #5
Casper TFG
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

I can never get the 'move to' dropdown menus to behave themselves (I find it hard to hilight the forum I want stuf moved to). Can I ask what boxes you have ticked on your Opera Mini settings please?
Old 12-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #6
jmwking

I have nothing fancy in my Opera Mini settings:

Load images on
-image quality low
-font size med
Mobile view on
VIsual effects off
Fullscreen mode on
Show overview on
Auto-complete on

I don't try to use the Admin CP from my BB. I don't need it and it doesn't "mobilize" well.

I can moderate just fine so long as I have a good signal that's not bouncing around. Regrettably, my signal at home routinely bounces between six or eight different cell sites - at least I have my computer handy.

"Thread tools" is about the only thing that consistently gives me much trouble: sometimes the page won't build correctly.

I prefer to use the BB Browser to look at reported posts directly from email. I don't log in on my BB Browser (where I'm always a guest) so it doesn't mess with my read/unread marks in Opera Mini (where I'm always logged in).

I like to move around between computers and my BB and I really prefer to keep my read/unread posts straight. Sometimes the bouncing signal will cause a page to not finish loading, but posts get marked as read. When I reload it I have to wade through the thread to find out where I was.

-jk

Last edited by jmwking; 12-11-2008 at 05:58 PM..
Old 12-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
Casper TFG
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thats a great help, it confirms my experience and that I wasn't going mad when I felt some functions would work sometimes and not others.

I use my BB for moderation but as you say - functionality can be patchy.

As I said I hope to get a 8900 before the end of the month - fingers crossed the 4.6 browser and faster processor might help.

Also when in range I would be using WiFi (a first for me - I have been on EDGE) Perhaps I can switch to the BB browser and ditch Opera Mini ? (I do like it though...)

Thanks again,

Last edited by Casper TFG; 12-11-2008 at 07:20 PM..
Old 12-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
jmwking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper TFG View Post
Thats a great help, it confirms my experience and that I wasn't going mad when I felt some functions would work sometimes and not others.

I use my BB for moderation but as you say - functionality can be patchy.

As I said I hope to get a 8900 before the end of the month - fingers crossed the 4.6 browser and faster processor might help.

Also when in range I would be using WiFi (a first for me - I have been on EDGE) Perhaps I can switch to the BB browser and ditch Opera Mini ? (I do like it though...)

Thanks again,
One thing I forgot to mention: on my board, I set the "Add No-Cache HTTP Headers" to Yes. Opera Mini seems to cache aggressively, and this helps.

-jk

Last edited by jmwking; 12-12-2008 at 02:44 PM..
Old 12-12-2008, 02:50 PM   #9
twiney

Model: 8100
Carrier: vodafone.ie
Default blackberry 8100

can anyone help me to connect my blackberry 8100 to my wrieless network at home it was lock to orange and it is on vodafone.ie now and it asking for a enterprise activation password
Old 12-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #10
Casper TFG
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Great, thanks.. I am going to go back and double check all those settings.