Please Login to Remove!

The BlackBerry PlayBook is awesome!
Old 12-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #22
brownkc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT
Default Re: BlackBerry's Official PlayBook Website Updated

In response to some of the iPad questions raised in previous posts, it's very clear that the iPad2 will be out by April at the latest. Based on Apple's current hardware upgrade cycles, it looks like a new one should be released each year at about the same time.

Current rumors for April's iPad (Gen 2) are a front and rear camera (front for video conferencing and while the need of a rear camera is questionable, cases and manufacturers indicate there is one), a new improved rear facing speaker, possibly a dual core A9 CPU, at least double the RAM (256MB to 512), slightly smaller (3mm loss on height and width), thinner and probably lighter. There is some speculation that the 16GB version will be dropped and a 128GB version will be added.

I would guess that screen resolution will be improved on Gen 3 or 4. The addition of a USB connection or SD card slot looks doubtful. A 7" version also looks doubtful based on Jobs comments but if there appears to be a huge demand for that format, I'm sure they could quickly adapt.

After using an iPad for a few weeks, I would actually prefer something like a 12" screen. It would make a worthwhile difference in maps and browsers. The touch screen interface really is the way mail, internet browsing, photo viewing and looking at maps is meant to be done. The virtual keyboard sucks for a touch typist but I find most friends that hunt and peck are actually a little quicker with a touchscreen.

As for some issues commenters have raised with the iPad, I will quickly address them based on my use. The tablet is not meant to be a hardcore business tool. You really need a keyboard if you want to efficiently put together a document, spreadsheet, or presentation. The lack of multitasking is not an issue for me. The iPad stores what you were doing last on any task and you can pick up from there as you switch between applications. Music is the only thing that will continue as you switch tasks. Because of the smaller screen, it would be really difficult to have 2 programs visible at one time anyway. The lack of Flash has been a non-issue. It used to be one of my arguments for not buying an iPhone of iPad. I never considered the fact that I have flashblock installed on Firefox for my PC's and rarely have to enable flash items. Most of them are useless annoyances/advertisements. If you really need flash, there are apps and a browser for iOS that allow them. Given that both Apple and Microsoft state that flash is the largest source of exploits and crashing for their browsers, I can't say I am too heartbroken not to have their software on a tablet. I already purposely block Flash and have never had a kind word about their resource hog, Adobe Acrobat/Reader. I can't help but think that RIM's reliance on Adobe AIR could be a huge mistake.

As always, I will keep my mind open and look at what the Playbook has to offer when it arrives. I have no problem jumping ship for a good product that fits my needs.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #23
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

So "it's very clear" and "current rumors" in the first two sentences... And a speculation thrown in for good measure..

It is ALL rumors until Apple publishes the specs and releases it.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #24
brownkc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT

Very defensive, aren't you, NJ? My first sentence referenced the first refresh of the iPad. The second sentence was based on what Apple has done with the iPhone and iPod and inferring they would follow the same pattern with the iPad. There is really no question that Apple will be rolling out the iPad 2 in the near future. The only question is when and some of their business partners have said the iPad 2 will be rolling off the assembly line at the end of February. This has led many sites to report that it would be released in February while others believe it will stick with April. Hence, my statement it will be out by April.

As to rumors, I clearly state they are such. Others in this thread have asked what's expected and I attempted to distill the information out there. This information comes from the manufacturers making the parts (cameras and speaker), pictures of upcoming cases (verifying holes for a rear camera and larger speaker and smaller/thinner size) and what makes sense (doubling the RAM).

Apple could surprise us and put the entire wishlist in the thing but my guess is that they find it more profitable to slowly make improvements on a yearly basis so that the consumer will feel the need to keep buying a new one.

I'm not an Apple fan but I do appreciate an innovative product. I run 3 Windows PCs (last Apple PC was a IIc) at home and use Blackberry 9700 (3rd Blackberry, moved to it from Nokias) as my only phone. I get frustrated by iTunes and wish I didn't have to install Quicktime every time I update it.

I planned on purchasing a Kindle before Christmas but found it would not meet all of my upcoming needs. I am planning an extended vacation abroad and like to take several things with me: cell phone for emergencies, contact list and alarm; computer to offload pictures, rename pictures, take notes and email; ipod for music and videos while traveling; a couple of books for leisure reading and a good guidebook for each place I plan to visit (5). A Kindle would do a great job with the leisure books and an average job with guidebooks (difficult to flip around and no color maps for subways). I questioned the iPads readability (backlight) but after borrowing a friends and reading a book on it, I realized the sepia setting made a huge difference (still wish the resolution was a little better). I finally realized an iPad could replace everything I needed. I can offload, store and edit pictures; read iBooks, Kindle Books, Nook books and Googlebooks; browse the Internet; email home; use Skype to call home at 2.3 cents a minute; listen to music; watch video; review color maps; take advantage of new Guide apps; keep my contact list and calendar close at hand; and give me an alarm. Just for laughs I looked up how much weight and space it would save. It dropped me from 300 cubic inches of space to 30 and the weight dropped from 10 lbs to 1.5 lbs. I considered the Playbook and Droid Tablet but there was no guarantee the Playbook would be out in time and most reviews indicate the Droid won't start to shine until Gingerbread 3.0 comes out (basically a user interface built for a tablet).
Old 12-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #25
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

No, not defensive at all. Just reminding everyone that there are no facts available for the next iPad.

Very wordy, but no facts.
Closed Thread