Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #41
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile
Default Re: Got one? How is it?!

Please Login to Remove!

Wow...sounds like a very expensive paperweight. Why do we need one of these again? Can someone explain what it's good for? No E-mail...no media, no BBM without Bridge - which is still unavailable...wow...great device.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 04-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #42
MERK350Z
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 294E926C
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Wow...sounds like a very expensive paperweight. Why do we need one of these again? Can someone explain what it's good for? No E-mail...no media, no BBM without Bridge - which is still unavailable...wow...great device.
i returned mine in less then 24hrs
Old 04-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #43
OVERKILL
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Was using one yesterday at a client's. For browsing the web and accessing the stuff on her BB (that's what she wanted it for) it is fantastic. It is incredibly fast. HD playback is fantastic and the bridging with the BB works very well. Gives her a large screen to view her e-mail and calendar on while doing some web browsing.

I guess it depends on what you want it for?

We have a Samsung Galaxy tab at the office that I had to root and put a modified ROM on to get a functional VPN setup just so we could access our Exchange server through IMAP on it. Only to discover that the calendar is utter garbage when used with IMAP and only allows you to see today and the past; nothing in the future. Now THAT is pretty useless. But hey it has a mail app for my Gmail! YAY! ;)

The guy that has the Samsung now wants a playbook because at least his calendar will work correctly. As it was, he'd have to pull out his 9700 to look at his calendar. Now he can just use the bridge, since he has his BB on him anyways. He's trying to get around lugging his laptop with him on short trips. The playbook should work well for that.
Blackberry user since 2001.

Last edited by OVERKILL; 04-20-2011 at 09:27 PM..
Old 04-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #44
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I'm disappointed. No apps. No Kindle.
Like the form factor, speed and screen.

Using my iPad now...
Old 04-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #45
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Me too. For now.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #46
doaneramma
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9100

I have not gotten one yet (as I'm trying to win one through work :P ) but I have to dissagree with some points about the bridge, and still agree with others. The whole no BBM on a wifi only device makes sence. Since it has no PIN or back end push support it would make BBM another Windows Live style service: Only works when logged in or connected. And even then, are you going to give your BBM people 2 contacts? One for your BB and one for your PB? No. I'd rather just link my BBM to my playbook, and have it swap back to my phone when I'm not. Same with other messaging services. Let the Playbook be an extension of my BB. I think thats what RIM was thinking; seemless and wireless integration with your existing BB device. The way it sits now, plus the way it was launched, I don't think they had any intention of launching the non-3g model as a stand alone unit like iPad. Once we see the 3G/4G (sorry, still think its silly this whole rebranding of 4G) model I can see all these apps and services coming to be as now it's part of the BB wireless world. I would like to see independant storage of my contacts and maybe a basic IMAP/POP email client, but as long as my BB is within 30 feet or so, its not gonna kill me to have have the bluetooth connected.

Anyway thats my $0.02 I am playing with one here at work and otherwise think its a great extension to my BB. Kinda like the webtop on my Atrix.

Last edited by doaneramma; 04-20-2011 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: Spelling and grammar.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #47
TonyTone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Me too. For now.
Did you see my response to you on crackberry? How to change the BlackBerry ID without doing the security wipe.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #48
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

No, I didn't, but I will check, thanks.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #49
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaneramma View Post
Since it has no PIN
But it does have a PIN.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:11 PM   #50
doaneramma
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
But it does have a PIN.
I'm waiting to get the battery to 20% to get the update and sign in done. But its not listed on the box like normal BBs. So I assumed it didn't. My bad if I'm off!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #51
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
I'm waiting to get the battery to 20% to get the update and sign in done. But its not listed on the box like normal BBs. So I assumed it didn't. My bad if I'm off!
Its all good. We're all in a learning curve here
Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #52
doaneramma
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Its all good. We're all in a learning curve here
But otherwise my logic on the service swapping is valid isn't it? Or am I alone there. BB is on the belt clip being a hand-held phone/messenger as it was designed to, and my tablet doing the heavy media/browsing and such? I never leave my phone at home so I just don't see what the inconvenience would be, unless I did not have a BB. But that's different.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:24 PM   #53
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
But otherwise my logic on the service swapping is valid isn't it? Or am I alone there. BB is on the belt clip being a hand-held phone/messenger as it was designed to, and my tablet doing the heavy media/browsing and such? I never leave my phone at home so I just don't see what the inconvenience would be, unless I did not have a BB. But that's different.
I agree with you. I always have my BB with me, and the Bridge apps are nice and not a big deal to me.

I would like to have better/smarter typing in non-bridge apps. It's also not as responsive as my iPad, which I'm using now. But I'm holding out hopes it will get there. Love the size and the web interface is very nice.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #54
doaneramma
Thumbs Must Hurt

Agreed. Reminds me of what WebOS was SUPPOSED to be. But has failed. LOL. I sure hope I can win myself one. Not be stuck having to BUY one! :P
Old 04-20-2011, 11:03 PM   #55
joginder

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

Yes, I did try it at the local Staples and I am impressed with the stability of the release/version. Definitely a nice device with everything that I can possibly think off. its fast and rez is really good.
This device on display was pre-installed with latest OS and the Bridge app and i was able to connect my 9780 in first try.
Will def invest in this device soon
Old 04-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #56
mmcpher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: 22CD4D6E
Carrier: ATT/Verizon

Very happy with it so far, but like everyone else, anxiously awaiting the upgrades to bring native apps and fuller bridging. It takes all kinds, but I find it hard to figure how you go to the trouble and expense of buying something like this, without knowing what it is and what it will do. It has an excellent wifi browser, media capabilities, keyboard (landscape/portrait), and with the form factor and the native word processing and spreadsheet apps, is the first smartphone or tablet that I can really use to create, edit, and view documents and spreadsheets.

I haven't had too many problems at all, so far as serious glitches, and I really like the way the OS is put together and the speed and smoothness of everything. The "default" browser is the wifi browser, provided you are connected to wifi. If you are not, then you can surf through the Blackberry Bridge by specifically opening the Bridge Browser, which is slower and varies based on your phone's signal strength (I think). But when you're on wifi and are accessing emails through the Bridge, and select a link to go to that webpage, the Playbook automatically launches the wifi browser, which hums. The launch-ready apps are, in some cases, little more than beta/place-holders, but even so, you can see that the Playbook should be capable of some great stuff, once the developers get on board and RIM gets the OS upgraded.

From my p.o.v., I read all the carping about apps and launch-version native apps as motivated by a preemptive impulse to try and discredit the device before its in widespread use, because its rivals, and its rival's supporters in the tech press, see it as a genuine competitive threat. FWIW.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:28 AM   #57
ZombieBerry

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

I did send a test PIN to my Playbook.

Didn't receive though.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:53 AM   #58
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERK350Z View Post
it seems what bridge does is it clones your blackberry to the playbook .
That's basically what it does, and nothing more.

Quote:
i am not sure if you can run wifi and the bridge at the same time. i dont see why it wont work i did not try it.
You can. Additionally, if your BlackBerry phone is connected via WiFi, the Bridge Browser will be surfing via WiFi instead of a cellular connection. In other words, the Bridge Browser will use whatever data connection the phone is using to connect with the internet.

Quote:
also the other apps on the play book cant use the data connection via bridge
Bridge isn't tethering, and people really, really need to get their heads wrapped around this idea. Bridge is nothing more than a remote desktop for the BlackBerry phone. That's it.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.

Last edited by ifonline; 04-21-2011 at 05:54 AM..
Old 04-21-2011, 06:46 AM   #59
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Bridge is nothing more than a remote desktop for the BlackBerry phone. That's it.
That's an excellent way to put it. I think I need to put that in my signature....
Old 04-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #60
MERK350Z
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 294E926C
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
That's basically what it does, and nothing more.

You can. Additionally, if your BlackBerry phone is connected via WiFi, the Bridge Browser will be surfing via WiFi instead of a cellular connection. In other words, the Bridge Browser will use whatever data connection the phone is using to connect with the internet.

Bridge isn't tethering, and people really, really need to get their heads wrapped around this idea. Bridge is nothing more than a remote desktop for the BlackBerry phone. That's it.
thats cool you made somethings clear . as far as remote desktop or tethering you can call it what you like if i am able to use the internet on a device and data coming from my phone to another device in my book thats tethering . if rim is going to push the playbook and spend all its money on bridge then they have a major issue. not everyone has a blackberry