BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Enter "Blackberry" to continue" on Blackberry screen?!

Please Login to Remove!

I got to work this AM and decided to do a sync.

I started up BB Desktop, and it asked for the password to my BB so it could connect (all normal so far), and I entered my password.

However, this time it didn't accept the password, and asked me to try again.

I tried several times, down until I had five tries left, and then started a minor freak-out and stopped.

I shut down DM and went to the BB to unlock it from there - I put in my password and got "incorrect password."

I tried to enter it again, and now instead of getting the normal prompt I get "Enter 'Blackberry' to continue." and any entries I make are no longer masked....I'm confused, 'cause:

1. I'm sure I entered the right password on my PC in DM. I know, everyone always says that, but my PW is quite short and simple, and I ensured that caps lock or numlock weren't on. I've never had any PW problems in the past.

2. I didn't use up the 10 tries I had the BB set to allow...not sure how it went from the fifth try on the PC to no tries on the BB.

Big question: I'm assuming that the prompt I'm seeing on the BB now means that the BB is ready to wipe itself...is that correct?

And if that is correct, am I going to have to re-load the OS, etc?

Thanks.

Last edited by Redflea; 09-22-2008 at 04:02 PM..
Old 09-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
RogersBTSC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Well,it would tell you that its going to wipe the device ahead of time, something along the lines of "after this attempt all application data will be erased" You won't need to do an OS reload,you'll just be back at square one like you took the BB out of the box,there will be no data on the phone(address book,emails,calendar entries,memos,tasts etc..) it will just be empty,just dont make the same mistake alot of users do and take the battery out when its wiping it clean,cuz then yes you'll need to do an OS reload.
Hopefully you have a backup or atleast use outlook to sync.

I get alot of calls from ppl who are on their last attempts

If all else failes try using the alt key and than trying the password,works most times.

Much Luck.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
CO_BBTechie

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

and the 'blackberry' input request is so that you have visual feedback of what you're typing. This may reveal potential input language changes, or other keyboard anomalies. Showing what you're typing should give you the opportunity to verify the presence or absence of input issues.

Beyond that... is it possible that someone knows/guessed your password and changed it on you?
Old 09-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
Redflea

Weird!

I entered "blackberry" as it requested, and the the screen stayed on the Locked screen. I then entered my password, which was not masked on the BB screen (it is normally masked) and the BB unlocked normally.

Is this a new process on OS 4.5, or is this the way it's always worked - that when you get down to five tries the BB tries to slow you down by making you input 'blackberry' and then not masking your PW?
Old 09-22-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
Weird!

I entered "blackberry" as it requested, and the the screen stayed on the Locked screen. I then entered my password, which was not masked on the BB screen (it is normally masked) and the BB unlocked normally.

Is this a new process on OS 4.5, or is this the way it's always worked - that when you get down to five tries the BB tries to slow you down by making you input 'blackberry' and then not masking your PW?
It's nothing new. This is how the BlackBerry OS handles password entry.

After X amount of incorrect attempts, it makes you enter the word 'blackberry' to ensure that the incorrect password entries aren't the result of a broken keyboard, or keys being pressed in your pocket, etc...

The password also begins to echo after X amount of incorrect attempts to allow you to visually validate that the keys you are pressing are resulting in the proper character being typed.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
Redflea

Thanks for clarifying...that worked well. I just wish RIM had provided a bit more info on that "enter blackberry to continue" screen. It was scary...
Old 09-22-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
hell
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: BBPP
Carrier: SimpleMobile

It may also ask to enter "blackberry" to ensure that it is not a kid playing around with the blackberry.

I read this info here on the forums...

HeLL
Old 09-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
rendiarum

Model: 8320
Carrier: Indosat

Hello to all,

I am a newbie here and i am experiencing the very same problem, which is "enter blackberry to continue"

I've only got 1 more attempts before it shuts (or wipe) out. I've already typed blackberry and my password, but it still won't work.
I've even taken out the battery while the phone was still ON (some suggested this in other forums - before i found this one).
I just don't want all the data in the phone wiped out :(( Is there some way to prevent this? need help please :(

thanks in advance
Old 09-23-2008, 10:38 AM   #9
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendiarum View Post
Hello to all,

I am a newbie here and i am experiencing the very same problem, which is "enter blackberry to continue"

I've only got 1 more attempts before it shuts (or wipe) out. I've already typed blackberry and my password, but it still won't work.
I've even taken out the battery while the phone was still ON (some suggested this in other forums - before i found this one).
I just don't want all the data in the phone wiped out :(( Is there some way to prevent this? need help please :(

thanks in advance
If you forgot your password, then there's nothing you can do to prevent the device from being wiped on your next incorrect entry.

Allow the device to be wiped, and then restore your data from your most recent backup.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #10
rendiarum

i was surprised when i first saw the notification screen. I once typed an alphabet PW and thought that might be it. Turned out it wasn't :( so there,s nothing left but to wipe, huh? can the notification be triggered when the keypad are pressed randomly (while in pocket, bag, or kids get their hands on it?) i think my nephew had a little fun with it ;(

Sigh..
Old 09-23-2008, 04:04 PM   #11
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendiarum View Post
can the notification be triggered when the keypad are pressed randomly (while in pocket, bag, or kids get their hands on it?) i think my nephew had a little fun with it ;(
I'm willing to bet that's exactly how it happened.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #12
rendiarum

too bad i didn't caught him red handed :(
many thanks for the helpful info. Off to wipe then.
Closed Thread