Old 04-08-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: 3279CD26
Carrier: Verizon
Unhappy Desperately pleading for help with Desktop Manager

Please Login to Remove!

About a month ago I very excitedly bought my first Blackberry. The Red Curve 8310. I went home and installed the software and got the message "device not detected". Sought help at ATT.com Blackberry forums and was told to download DM Version 4.2.2 which I did and still no luck. I have a Sony Viao PCG-GRV680 laptop about four years old with Windows XP Service Pack 2. I'm installing it on my second hard drive which is almost completely empty. After installation there are files in the Common Files folder on the C drive and then a RIM folder on the D drive (which is where I installed it) When I connect the phone and go to Device Manager, in the alphabetical list of items there is an item called Other Devices with the offshoot called RIM Composite Device both with big yellow question mark icons. I've been told that it's supposed to be showing up in the USB controllers section as Blackberry. I click on connection settings and choose USB. I get the message "please ensure the device is connected properly" then I get the hourglass and then "device not found". I went to the AT&T store with my cable and Blackberry and he was able to connect it there on their system just fine. So, on the AT&T forums they were saying that the problem was my computer. I emailed Sony and they say they can't guarantee third-party installations. I've never had any problems with the computer. I also am running Zone Alarm Security Suite, but it didn't give me any problems during installation. I've tried to think of everything I've been through in the last month. I really, really hope somebody can help me with this! Thanks in advance!
Old 04-08-2008, 11:05 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Can you install it on C:\ drive? Also, are you plugging in directly to a USB port on the PC? USB hubs don't play well with the BB.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
slmoney
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMobile

Ok..so you installed the software that came with the device on the CD.

You plugged the BB cord into the USB slot...hooked the other end into the Curve.

1) Did you reboot your Laptop after the install?
2) is your curve ON when its attached.
3) did you try a "battery Pull" to reset your device prior to installing the new software
4) what is the version of your current OS (Operating system) on your Curve (go to Options..About)

Have you also used that USB port for other devices? There are so many trouble shooting questions to ask...and you've come to the right place to ask the questions..and get helpful answers...
Old 04-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Can you install it on C:\ drive? Also, are you plugging in directly to a USB port on the PC? USB hubs don't play well with the BB.
I don't have any room left in the C Drive. The D drive is actually the larger of the two. And no, I'm not using a HUB, directly using the USB port.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Some applications must be installed on C: drive. I don't know for sure if Desktop Manager is one of them or not.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmoney View Post

You plugged the BB cord into the USB slot...hooked the other end into the Curve.

3) did you try a "battery Pull" to reset your device prior to installing the new software
4) what is the version of your current OS (Operating system) on your Curve (go to Options..About)

Have you also used that USB port for other devices? There are so many trouble shooting questions to ask...and you've come to the right place to ask the questions..and get helpful answers...
My answers:

1. Yes (I'm now thinking no, I don't think I rebooted after installation, but I've done it so many times, who knows! )
2. Yes
3. Yes, but did it after installation of software not before
4 Version 4.2.2170
5. And yes, I've used that port for other devices. I've tried the Blackberry in the other USB port with same results

Last edited by TxCatLady1; 04-09-2008 at 12:34 PM..
Old 04-09-2008, 10:56 PM   #7
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Don't know if this helps, but this is RIM's requirements for Desktop Manager v4.2 SP2.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry - Sys Req V4-2 Pack 2

Do you have anything you can move from C to D and make room for Desktop Manager on the C drive? Might be worth a try. I think the problem may be related to having components on 2 different drives.

Also, if you haven't, do try a battery pull on the device. It might be worth shutting down Zone Alarm long enough to re-install it, also. Do you have any other security software that uses HIPS, process or registry protection?
Old 04-10-2008, 12:30 PM   #8
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. I'm reading these while at work, so can't try out things just yet. I'm a little hesitant about moving things from one drive to another, but I'll see if I have some things I can uninstall or delete. Plus, I really may have enough room. I just didn't even try. I love that there is so much information on this website! I'm determined to get my money's worth from this Blackberry and I think that with all the information here and you helpful people, I'll manage it.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
toddz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Is the D driver external or just another partition of the internal drive? If it is not external and simply another partition with truely nothing on it, they I would use a partition expanding program to get rid of the D partition and increase the size of the C partition. As somebody mentioned earlier some programs don't play nice if they are not installed on the same partition/volume as Windows. In my experience over the years extra drives and partitions are great for data but a disaster for installing programs.

toddz
Old 04-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
NCBuckeye
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: 4.6

I had a sony laptop also and it had a partition drve, why the heck do they do that?
Old 04-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #11
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddz View Post
Is the D driver external or just another partition of the internal drive? If it is not external and simply another partition with truely nothing on it, they I would use a partition expanding program to get rid of the D partition and increase the size of the C partition. As somebody mentioned earlier some programs don't play nice if they are not installed on the same partition/volume as Windows. In my experience over the years extra drives and partitions are great for data but a disaster for installing programs.

toddz
It's not external, so I'm assuming it's partitional? Can you purchase an expanding program at Staples? Is it something a non programmer can use?
Old 04-11-2008, 12:34 PM   #12
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmoney View Post

Is there a definitive procedure to follow when installing desktop manager? I'm sure there is on this informative website!, if you could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it!
Old 04-11-2008, 11:23 PM   #13
daphne

Do you have the CD that came with the device? You can install Desktop Manager from the CD, or you can download the installer from RIM or your carrier's site.

I installed it from the CD. When you insert the cd, it should start automatically and prompt you to choose what you want to install. Choose Desktop Manager and follow the prompts to install it to the default location, which is C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry

If you download it from the web, save the file to your desktop, and double click to start the installation. Follow the prompts and let it install in the default location.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:50 PM   #14
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK, tried again with no luck. I installed it on the C Drive, rebooted, did a battery pull and still got the device not found. In Device Manager it is the same as described in my first post. In the C drive, Program Files, Common Files, there are two folders, Research in Motion and Roxio Shared. The RIM folder has App Loader, BBBI Drivers, Modem Drivers, RIM Device Manager & USB Drivers. The Roxio Shared has 9.0, Certificates8, Certificates(2), DLL Shared, Dragon, Dragon(2), Gracenote, ShareCom, ShareCom(2), Sidewinder, Sidewinder(2). Then in Program Files, there is a Research in Motion folder, with a Blackberry folder in it. I'm gonna try again later without the Roxio. But any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 04-12-2008, 05:45 PM   #15
daphne

I'm running out of suggestions... you said you've used the same USP port for other devices, right? Was that recently? Have you tried other devices since you started having this problem?

Just for kicks, right click on MyComputer, click Properties, Hardware tab, then Device Manager. Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers list, right click each one and click properties, look in the Device status area to see if it says "This device is working properly".

Do you have the OS for your handheld installed to the laptop? You dont need that for Desktop Manager to work, but if you don't, might not hurt to install it.

nevermind...

Last edited by daphne; 04-12-2008 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: one more thing...
Old 04-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #16
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700

After installing the desktop manager did you change the option to connect to devices on the USB port. Open Desktop Mamager, choose Options, Connections Options. Select USB from the menu, and click OK. Try connecting the BlackBerry again.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-13-2008, 11:09 PM   #17
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

The status says that all the devices are working properly. I just now plugged in my mouse to the port and it worked fine.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:10 PM   #18
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have done that, thanks.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:11 AM   #19
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

I looked threw this thread, are you still having the problem?

I had a similiar problem with my Laptop (of course my laptop had Vista Home Prem), my computer would not see my BlackBerry but if I plugged my USB Mouse or Head sets it would work fine. Try plugging in a USB thumb drive see it might be driver issue. My computer had a problem drvier problem with "Mass Storage Devices".

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #20
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
I looked threw this thread, are you still having the problem?

I had a similiar problem with my Laptop (of course my laptop had Vista Home Prem), my computer would not see my BlackBerry but if I plugged my USB Mouse or Head sets it would work fine. Try plugging in a USB thumb drive see it might be driver issue. My computer had a problem drvier problem with "Mass Storage Devices".
Yes, I still am. It's so interesting you should say that. I also do bookkeeping on the side and I used to backup Quickbooks on a thumb drive, but started getting an error. (I forget exactly what it said) Since I was also backing up online, I didn't really investigate it. And yes, device manager is calling it RIM Storage Device. Please, please tell me how you solved the issue and I'll be your friend for life!