Old 11-03-2004, 10:22 AM   #10
eagle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Old 12-29-2004, 11:25 PM   #11
Zero

Default 7100t won't boot!

I've had my 7100t for about 4 days here now, and just last night when I was using the browser, my phone crashed. I figured it was no big deal, but I started it back up... it was a big deal - "JVM Error 102". Alright, so I tell it to go ahead with a hard reset. It blanks the screen for half a second, then says "JVM Error 102" yet again. I again click reset, and it goes through the hard reset... but when it finishes, I just get the errors again. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:15 AM   #12
TMPhoneBerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Re: 7100t won't boot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero
I've had my 7100t for about 4 days here now, and just last night when I was using the browser, my phone crashed. I figured it was no big deal, but I started it back up... it was a big deal - "JVM Error 102". Alright, so I tell it to go ahead with a hard reset. It blanks the screen for half a second, then says "JVM Error 102" yet again. I again click reset, and it goes through the hard reset... but when it finishes, I just get the errors again. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
This is what the error message means

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...5&vernum=0

102 Invalid code in filesystem

The system has checked the .COD files in the handheld for modification, and determined that there is a problem with one or more .COD files.

If all loads fail, it could indicate a build process error where there was a problem signing the codfiles.

If some user action to the device caused this problem, the reset cycle will be continuous since the code in the filesystem has been corrupted. The only recovery method is to wipe the device and restore a new system.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:59 PM   #13
ljbrown

How do you wipe the Blackberry if it won't boot?

I downloaded a midlet to my 7290 that crashed it and it's stuck in a perpetual reboot. It doesn't have a reset button. I removed the battery for an extended period of time, and it still continues the reboot cycle when I replace the battery.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:43 PM   #14
ljbrown

BTW: just to save some kind soul a little time thinking about this problem, I did try "javaloader -usb wipe" and all I get is: Error: unable to open port. I tried it with/without the desktop software running. Thanks again for considering a solution for this issue! :D
Old 01-25-2005, 11:33 PM   #15
patrickh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljbrown
BTW: just to save some kind soul a little time thinking about this problem, I did try "javaloader -usb wipe" and all I get is: Error: unable to open port. I tried it with/without the desktop software running. Thanks again for considering a solution for this issue! :D
After you run javaloader -u wipe, there should be some time before it declares that it cannot open the port.

During that time, reset the device.. (don't let it sit in hourglass).. Either do the 3-finger reset or battery out-in.

Then you should be able to reload..

P
Old 01-26-2005, 12:18 AM   #16
BlackBerryGuide
Thumbs Must Hurt

Strange, I've never had to resort to javaloader for a 102 error.

Using the Desktop Manager's application loader has always worked for my org.... it just has an extra dialog prompting which port to use (USB or COM), then it should force a firmware reinstall.

I think using javaloader to perform a wipe should really be the last resort in solving these types of problems (I will add a note to my javaloader guide about this tomorrow).

I've done this countless number of times and never seen the application loader fail... has anybody else used the application loader for a 102 error and run into problems?
Old 01-26-2005, 01:06 AM   #17
BlackBerryGuide
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I've done this countless number of times and never seen the application loader fail... has anybody else used the application loader for a 102 error and run into problems?
hmmm... never mind, http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1156 covers it quite well.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:18 PM   #18
ljbrown

Default Dead crashed rebooting spinning hourglass fix for 7290

First, thanks to everyone for their quick responses! I feel I owe the forum a more in-depth explanation of the problem and the resulting solution.

Problem: I developed a Midlet which had a large number of 32K data files included for the application. No single datafile in the .cod can be much larger than that, or you get an error from rapc. I downloaded the .cod file using javaloader -usb load MyApp.cod This immediately corrupted the filesystem - in spite of the fact that there was 16MB free on the device. I had already tested my application on the BB on a smaller set of files and it worked perfectly. The ONLY difference was adding the extra files into the build.

Symptom: When the 6MB file was done downloading, my 7290 BlackBerry went "lights out". After removing and replacing the battery, it would spin the hourglass 3 times and freeze the hourglass on the 3rd try. Then, the red light would come on, and redo the cycle again for 8-10 times, and then stop trying. Taking out, and replacing the battery restarted the "no win" cycle.

Attempted Solution: I tried to do a "javaloader -usb wipe -f -a" on the command line and it returned, "Error: unable to open port". I got fancy and put this command in a loop in a batch file, hoping that during one of the cycles it would catch the port open. No such luck.

Solution: I ran across a post on another thread that suggested running the Desktop Manager, and during the rebooting cycle, clicking on the "Application Loader" icon. While I was dubious that it could catch the 7290 perpetual reboot in time, it did. It immediately recognized that the BB was dead and rebuilt the device. <Insert big smile here!>

Bonus Discovery: I decided since the 7290 was wiped, I would be brave enough to install the Hong Kong BlackBerry handheld version 4.0. After deleting the version.xml, it rebuilt my handheld with ease (I used the same application loader process). My carrier is ATT (now Cingular) and it works "perfectly". (Details on where and how to upgrade your 7290 to 4.0 using the HK build can be found elsewhere on the forum)

Hopefully there is enough detail here for someone else with a similar problem to have a search match.

Thanks to all of you who participate in this forum. I'm certain you're saving folks hours and a lot of hair

Kind regards, ljb
Old 02-03-2005, 06:18 AM   #19
bishman

so after I did a javaloader -usb wipe my 7100 now has a lovely no os type icon on it....

how do I get Vodafone back on it?
Old 02-03-2005, 06:24 AM   #20
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=2412

This sticky should cover it....
Closed Thread