gatortone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan
Damnit, WHY DID I UPGRADE?

Anyone have any ideas for SINGLE KEY shortcuts to dial by name?
Kurichan, you can always set up your speed dial list. So, if you hold down the "P", it'll dial the number you have set to that letter. It saves a ton of time for me.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:53 AM   #42
gatortone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default My 24 hour review

So, I've had vzw 4.1 on my 7250 for a day now. With the exception of gettting one 1X in the middle of Denver, I've had nothing but 1XEV since then. The past few days, I've been seeing a lot more DCRs, which were lasting more than just a few seconds. At times, I'd be down for 15 minutes or more, but since the upgrade, I haven't seen any DCR. I'm pretty much on my BB constantly so I would definitely notice if a DCR popped up or not.

On the flipside, I did lose tethering. My error message is, "Cannot find username/password" (or something to that effect). I'll probably call VZW sometime next week to see what they can do. I also lost my favorite font, which was bbMillbankCondensed, but that's not that big of a deal to me. One other thing I noticed was that on my task list, when I sync back to my PC, the dates are changed on a couple of my tasks with a year of 2077, which I didn't change on my PC or my BB.

I haven't tested the bluetooth improvements yet. Seeing that it's Saturday, I won't have any conference calls to check it. I do see my BIS icons and the "email settings" icon, so that was pretty neat. I also see an improvement in my google local and I see now that they are putting the amount of kbs that are being loaded when opening up a website at the bottom (i.e. 1.5 kbs out of 6.2 kbs). The ability to change themes was cool, but I pretty much stick with the standard with a picture for a background. I also noticed some aesthetic changes like the "Connect to desktop" picture changed when you sync your BB to your PC via a usb cable. Also, I noticed some changes to the opening page of Brick Breaker. Some icons changed in the mailbox, specifically the phone icons.

So, that's all I've seen for now. I'm happy that VZW improved the DCR issues, but I need to figure out why I lost my tethering, which I like to have in case of an emergency.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:53 AM   #43
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortone
So, I've had vzw 4.1 on my 7250 for a day now. With the exception of gettting one 1X in the middle of Denver, I've had nothing but 1XEV since then. The past few days, I've been seeing a lot more DCRs, which were lasting more than just a few seconds. At times, I'd be down for 15 minutes or more, but since the upgrade, I haven't seen any DCR. I'm pretty much on my BB constantly so I would definitely notice if a DCR popped up or not.

On the flipside, I did lose tethering. My error message is, "Cannot find username/password" (or something to that effect). I'll probably call VZW sometime next week to see what they can do. I also lost my favorite font, which was bbMillbankCondensed, but that's not that big of a deal to me. One other thing I noticed was that on my task list, when I sync back to my PC, the dates are changed on a couple of my tasks with a year of 2077, which I didn't change on my PC or my BB.

I haven't tested the bluetooth improvements yet. Seeing that it's Saturday, I won't have any conference calls to check it. I do see my BIS icons and the "email settings" icon, so that was pretty neat. I also see an improvement in my google local and I see now that they are putting the amount of kbs that are being loaded when opening up a website at the bottom (i.e. 1.5 kbs out of 6.2 kbs). The ability to change themes was cool, but I pretty much stick with the standard with a picture for a background. I also noticed some aesthetic changes like the "Connect to desktop" picture changed when you sync your BB to your PC via a usb cable. Also, I noticed some changes to the opening page of Brick Breaker. Some icons changed in the mailbox, specifically the phone icons.

So, that's all I've seen for now. I'm happy that VZW improved the DCR issues, but I need to figure out why I lost my tethering, which I like to have in case of an emergency.
The error username/password usually indicates you are not provisioned for tethering. You'll need to have them add it to your unlimited data plan - $15/mo additional.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:39 PM   #44
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

The confusion here appears to be the following because i have been through it myself. When we first upgraded to 4.02 we were able to tether even without the extra $15.00. We were simply going to be charged on a per kb basis. Now as soon as you upgrade to any 4.1 os that ability stops and we start getting the password username error, which means to get around it you have to provision the extra $15/mth charge. No provision no tethering. And by the way I upgraded a long time ago and have gone through both the Telstra and the Sprint which I am still running since it is a newer version than good old Verizon. The problem still persists on all three versions, Verizon, Telstra, and Sprint. So in conclusion it appears that as soon as Verizon detects your BB running 4.1 it simply will not let you tether without paying the $15/mth, no more per kb status it appears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
The error username/password usually indicates you are not provisioned for tethering. You'll need to have them add it to your unlimited data plan - $15/mo additional.

Running OS 6.0.0.524

Last edited by KonTiki; 05-06-2006 at 05:43 PM..
Old 05-06-2006, 09:17 PM   #45
jltx114
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by esemay
Upgraded from 4.02 3 hours ago, getting 1XEV all the time - no DCRs. Am able to tether with no problem.

Looks like all is fixed.

Shawn
Are you paying the $15/month? Or were you tethering for free? Also, did you download both the desktop 4.1 software and the device 4.1 software?

Thanks
Old 05-07-2006, 06:31 AM   #46
Petey999

Model: 7250

My tethering broke as well!! I keep getting an invalid username/password when it "dials" the Verizon network. I'm going to call them and see what happens.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:39 AM   #47
jltx114
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey999
My tethering broke as well!! I keep getting an invalid username/password when it "dials" the Verizon network. I'm going to call them and see what happens.
yes, but are you also paying for tethering?
Old 05-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #48
KonTiki

You guys are missing the point here, which is this. Prior to 4.1 OS (any version, Verizon, Telstra, Sprint) Verizon was allowing tethering without the $15 additional charge, by allowing a per kilobyte charge if you opted not to have the additional plan added to your plan, Since the upgrade now, it is an issue where one cannot have the option to tether on a per kilobyte basis. The reason the per kilobyte was important to many of us was that we do not use or need the tethering on an ongoing enough basis to warrant a charge of $15V a month. Now you may think that one emergenncy basis may wind up costing you more than the $15 for that month, my contention is this $15 a month is $180 a year, one or two emergencies a year wil not cost me $180. Verizon in their infinite wisdom and money hungry profit status has taken that option away.

Granted there may be a small way around it for example if I am going on vacation and am going to go away I can pay the $15 for that month so I am covered in case I needed (ala insurance) but the point again is if I dont need it and don't use it I am still out $15 that before woul dnot have happened, albeit it is a small amount for the one month but why should I give it to Verizon just because. It is a free enterprise system, and yes Verizon has great coverage and you can argue till you are blue in the face but why cant they relent a bit. I would venture to say that most people do sign up for the $15 a month plan because they will use it enough so for the few of us that are not harmong them or taking away chunks of money away why make us pay the price, besides human nature being what it is, dont you think that having the abilty may just be what they need to actually use it?

Verizon can you hear us now? Give us per kilobyte back.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 05-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #49
bullonwall
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130

Help - Lost my internet icon after the upgrade. Tried sending package to phone and pulling battery, all to no avail.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #50
KonTiki

Resend yourself the service books, from either BIS or from the Host Routing Tables by registering again.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 05-08-2006, 05:51 AM   #51
Petey999

Oh, I understand that the $15/month charge is applicable only if I upgrade to 4.1, it's just an unbelievable business/cost structure they've implemented.

All of my BB's have the unlimited data plan which was great because I never had to worry about the per kb charge. After I spoke to the Verizon rep yesterday, they told me that I couldn't downgrade and go back to 4.0 without them cancelling my business account!! That was humorous as I write this message sitting on a train with my downgraded/tether'd 4.0 7250.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:17 AM   #52
rta53
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Storm

Quote:
Oh, I understand that the $15/month charge is applicable only if I upgrade to 4.1, it's just an unbelievable business/cost structure they've implemented.

All of my BB's have the unlimited data plan which was great because I never had to worry about the per kb charge. After I spoke to the Verizon rep yesterday, they told me that I couldn't downgrade and go back to 4.0 without them cancelling my business account!! That was humorous as I write this message sitting on a train with my downgraded/tether'd 4.0 7250.
So does that mean you still have EDVO with 4.0? And are you using the VZAccess software?
Old 05-08-2006, 08:42 AM   #53
Petey999

Yup, it just means that I'll have to live with the data connection refused errors from time to time.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:58 AM   #54
KonTiki

Quote:
Yup, it just means that I'll have to live with the data connection refused errors from time to time.
I agree and if tethering was important to me I would downgrade in a blink because it does work after all, I was also told that it wouldnt and i tested it yesterday, Still had EVDO, and was able to tether both with the VZAccess manager and without, so it is something that the 4.1 OS triggers, and by the way it does not matter if you are running VZW's 4.1 or some other carrier, once the network detects the OS as 4.1 no tethering unless they activate the 15 plan. Clever aint it.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 05-08-2006, 10:02 AM   #55
tomryan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
hrmm.. maybe I am wrong, but in essence, aren't you basically saying that you're sticking with 4.0x because of the bug that allows you to tether for free.

now, I don't agree with Verizon charging extra to tether, but you are in violation of their TOS.. My guess is Verizon is well aware of this bug and is working to erradicate it and I suspect you'll be getting a nice letter from them at some point..

If of course, you are being charged per KB (I have never tethered, but everyone I know that has, has never been charged per KB with 4.0x), then I don't see an issue.. but of course, I doubt that's the case here..

yes, everyone, it appears you can tether for free, against the TOS with 4.0x.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:55 PM   #56
brunson
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I wish they'd get their DNS sorted out, I'd like to download the update...
Code:
clotho(~)$ host download.vzwshop.com
download.vzwshop.com is an alias for anon.moxiei.speedera.net.
anon.moxiei.speedera.net is an alias for anon.moxiei.com.edgeuite.net.
clotho(~)$ host anon.moxiei.speedera.net
Host anon.moxiei.com.edgeuite.net not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
[status 1]
clotho(~)$ host anon.moxiei.com.edgeuite.net.
[status 1]
Anyone got a copy they could share?
Old 05-08-2006, 03:01 PM   #57
esemay

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunson
I wish they'd get their DNS sorted out, I'd like to download the update...
Code:
clotho(~)$ host download.vzwshop.com
download.vzwshop.com is an alias for anon.moxiei.speedera.net.
clotho(~)$ host anon.moxiei.speedera.net
[status 1]
clotho(~)$ host anon.moxiei.com.edgeuite.net.
[status 1]
Anyone got a copy they could share?
Use vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry
Old 05-08-2006, 03:07 PM   #58
bullonwall
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
Resend yourself the service books, from either BIS or from the Host Routing Tables by registering again.

Thanks Kon - That worked like a charm!

~BULL
Old 05-08-2006, 03:35 PM   #59
brunson
Knows Where the Search Button Is

After you put your phone number and select the SW version you want to download you then click Submit, you are redirected to download.vzwshop.com, which is where my browser complians that it can't find the IP address. It's an ongoing, intermittent problem.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:03 PM   #60
bullonwall
Thumbs Must Hurt

The upgrade went seemlessly, aside from the browser snafu. However, since the upgrade, I constantly get 1XEV next to the signal. Common sense tells me that this is good, but does anyone have a technical explanation of it? Also, does it drain the battery faster?

Thx,
~BULL
Closed Thread