BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 02:53 AM   #1
Dookie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mo
Default Will run 4.0 BES and 4.1 BES with same SQL server ?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there,
Here is my question. We currently have BES 4.0 SP4 HF2 installed and running. SQL server is separate. We want to install a new 4.1 BES - like 2nd server and then migrate some users there.
However, when the new BES 4.1 server is built and configured, for moves of users between the servers they are required to share the same SQL database correct? IF this is the case are there any know issues with sharing the database between a BES 4.0 and BES 4.1 setup?. I would assume this will not work as the installation of any software, service pack or hotfix requires access to the database BES is using. Therefore installing BES 4.1 sharing/using the same database as the 4.0 server would change the database tables, configuration etc. IF it does how will the BES 4.0 continue to function?
Is anyone having same setup or tried something similar ?
Thanks.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:37 AM   #2
Kablooey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 25ee2d53
Carrier: AT&T and Verizon 9650

I have already spoken to T-Support about this. You can have a mixed mode environment, 4.1 and 4.0 BES servers, pointing to the same database, but the database and functionality will essentially be 4.1. 4.1 has a built in 4.0 manager console for managing in this type of environment. I don't see this as a viable "test" solution though...because you have to modify your production BES database. What I have done is to create a second database for 4.1 and dropped the users off of the 4.0 server and added them to the 4.1 without clearing the exchange info and statistics. This still requires the devices to be provisioned on the new server but it still retains much of the preferences and settings for the user.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
Dookie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablooey
I have already spoken to T-Support about this. You can have a mixed mode environment, 4.1 and 4.0 BES servers, pointing to the same database, but the database and functionality will essentially be 4.1. 4.1 has a built in 4.0 manager console for managing in this type of environment. I don't see this as a viable "test" solution though...because you have to modify your production BES database. What I have done is to create a second database for 4.1 and dropped the users off of the 4.0 server and added them to the 4.1 without clearing the exchange info and statistics. This still requires the devices to be provisioned on the new server but it still retains much of the preferences and settings for the user.
Well, that is exactly what i thought about this. But still it's a major issue for us because all the users are VIP's and asking them for re-activating the devices will not have very warm welcome.
I think that still only option is to build server, upgrade SQL and have it that way. Then later on upgrade the 4.0 one.
Anyway, thanks for the response.
Closed Thread