Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
toze

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone Greece
Exclamation New BB user!please help!!!

Please Login to Remove!

greetings to you all!i purchased my first blackberry (a 8900) about a week ago. everything was fine until last night, when i decided to turn on memory cleaning and enable the encryption. after that a message appeared informing me that memory cleaning was taking place.since then my phone keeps rebooting.it starts booting and after the bar under the blackberry logo is full it stalls for a minute or so and then reboots (with the red light turning on).
i have searched all around the net to find a solution for this, as i want to avoid visiting my carriers technical support.
so, i tried wiping the device with some 3rd party software (JL_Cmder v1.9.0). i followed all the instructions i found online concerning a nuked device and at some point i managed to get the '507' error message.i then tried to install the latest v5.0 OS with AppLoader, the install was successful but the 8900 kept rebooting..
my last hope was using BlackBerry DS, which recognized the phone (PIN and all) and prompted me to update the software on the device. problem is, that 'install' was completed quite fast, but i have stuck in the 'connecting to device' part for the last 40 minutes with the device constantly rebooting!!!

sorry for the lengthy post but i am desperate to get it to work!!it was great using it and i can't even think of waiting 3 or more weeks for it to be repaired!!!
please suggest any solutions you think appropriate!!!

thank you in advance
Old 09-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

If you are using a micro SD card, remove it and see what happens. Do the device boot?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 09-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
toze

i have already tried this!it still goes to infinite rebooting loop even with no sim card and/or micro sd!!
Old 09-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

So, to review: The device started the endless reboot looping. You were eventually able to wipe it with JL_CMDER and then resintall the software, but still have the endless reboot loop. You've removed the micro SD card, and still same thing. You installed Desktop Manager, it recognized the device and prompted you to upgrade, which you accepted. And still have the endless reboot loop.

Have you dropped the device. Have you got it wet? Exposed it to any moisture such as a sweaty pocket or humid shower room?
Old 09-12-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
toze

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
So, to review: The device started the endless reboot looping. You were eventually able to wipe it with JL_CMDER and then resintall the software, but still have the endless reboot loop. You've removed the micro SD card, and still same thing. You installed Desktop Manager, it recognized the device and prompted you to upgrade, which you accepted. And still have the endless reboot loop.
Exactly!
no, i have never dropped it and i was very careful with the moisture thing as i am aware of BBs' sensitivity under such conditions!

i am thinking of updating the device again, only this time i will enter a wrong device password!is there any possibility that this might 'reset' something??
Old 09-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
somerandomguy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: tmo

I am not sure what has happened to the device, but if JLCMDR wipes it all the way to a 507 error, then a dull reload should work.

Tell you what; ditch JCLMDR. use BBSAK to do a factory reset and a full wipe.

make sure the battery is full and the device is plugged in when you do so.

uninstall ALL device OS packages you may have installed and then grab the latest version from the top of the 8900 forum. install that and roll with that,

By the way, all your data is lost at this point and will be unrecoverable no matter what you do. I really hope youve got a few backups.

best of luck.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I'm curious about the fact that you saw a message telling you that memory cleaning was being performed. I've had memory cleaning enabled on several BlackBerrys now over the years and never observed that.

When you wiped and reinstalled the OS, did you test before you restored your data and settings?

How about seeing if you can boot in safe mode (search). If you can, then disable encryption, etc. And then do a hard reset.

If do wipe and reinstall the OS again, be sure and test it before you restore.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
toze

first of all thank you all for your advice!
i tried wiping with bbsak but it didn't work.(kept rebooting)
then i found a blackberry.com website and i clicked on "check for updates".when asked for the password i put a wrong one and then there was a white screen on the berry and the wiping started!after it reached 100% it rebooted and then did a wipe again!now there is a white screen and 'scrubbing' at 54%.is this a positive progress??
Old 09-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I believe all that you are seeing is a security wipe. It's just with encryption enabled it is indeed a scrubbing and not a simple wipe. I expect you will still have the OS and all user data and settings will be gone when it is done. Don't do anything until it is done. Afterward, remove the battery for 30 seconds and see what happens.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #10
toze

thank you a lot!i'll post any further developments!
Old 09-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
lprmcnit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
Carrier: Verizon

Not sure how relevant this is, but VZW had an OS version which was on the Curve II, I believe which caused behavior very very similar to this. We have an encryption policy on our BES and as soon as the user activated( with the policy applied) the device would reboot over and over again. It took VZW several weeks to get a new software version released. As I recall the term VZW used was that the device got stuck in a "maintenance cycle" or words to that effect. Before the software release was ready, they had a patch which could be applied seperately which would kill the reboot cycle. I wonder if Toze cell provider has similar software available, or it there is a newer OS version with the fix.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #12
lprmcnit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
Carrier: Verizon
Default RIM KB Number

Here is the KB I was thinking of..it sound like this may describe the issue

enabling content protection or memory cleaning
KB22488
Old 09-13-2010, 01:26 PM   #13
toze

finally i got it to work!i just updated the software on the device, but in the beginning i entered a wrong device password...but it is certainly very strange that a security setting can cause something like that. lprmcnit i will look into this and we 'll see what happens!
Closed Thread