BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
No Longer Registered.

Thumbs up Reason why I'm getting the 8100....

Please Login to Remove!

Alot of postings were kindda negative for the new pearl and though it is more of a matter of preference, I think I will give me reason why I am getting one and keeping it.

The nice thing about being with Tmobile, I can use the same SIM Card for my "conventional" phone and with my BlackBerry 8700g. I use the Motorola SLVR as my "conventional" phone for reasons that sometimes I just needed to be out somewhere where I need some peace and quiet time with not having to respond to any incoming emails (though would still need to check them). I rarely do this these days for the reason that when I do so transfer my SIM from my BlackBerry, any service that I have set up is not supported with my SLVR.

There are alot of you guys who carry more than one phone (being one them) for reasons such as convenience to put in your purse, pocket or just needing to have smaller one to go with your look
And having a smaller BlackBerry, thinner, black and most of all still has the same function with my 8700g is a dream come true.

So now, I will have everything I need -- just be switching from my 8700g to 8100.. and both of them are BlackBerry(s).... of course until a new model will come out.. and there I go finding another reason why I should get another one.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesecatt
The nice thing about being with Tmobile, I can use the same SIM Card for my "conventional" phone and with my BlackBerry 8700g. I use the Motorola SLVR as my "conventional" phone for reasons that sometimes I just needed to be out somewhere where I need some peace and quiet time with not having to respond to any incoming emails (though would still need to check them).
FYI, It is possible to disable your email but still use the phone on the 8100. Go to Options > Network, and change Data Services to Off. Just don't forget to turn it back on when you ready to get email again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Data Services Off.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	5085  

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-13-2006, 02:55 PM   #3
No Longer Registered.

That's a good info... though I don't need to turn off the Data Service to not get emails.. but you'll never know.

This is not available in the 8700, is it? I checked and that option isn't there.. unless I was too lazy to find for myself

Old 09-13-2006, 02:58 PM   #4
Postalrecon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: N80

Quote:
That's a good info... though I don't need to turn off the Data Service to not get emails.. but you'll never know.

This is not available in the 8700, is it? I checked and that option isn't there.. unless I was too lazy to find for myself
i think its an option in the telestra os

i think a majority of the forums is addicted to bb anyway, the 8100 is the newest thing, so of course someone will justify themselves getting it, i like the size, but the keyboard bugs me, oh well.

http://xninjax.vox.com/
Old 09-13-2006, 03:07 PM   #5
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Seems like BB users who have been using a qwerty model have the hardest time adjusting to SureType. I came back to the BB side from Treos. They had qwerty keyboards but horrible ones so SureType for me was an upgrade. It has been several years since I used a BB with qwerty, having bought a 7105t last month to learn the ins and outs of SureType. As Spongebob says, "I'm ready! I'm ready!"
Old 09-13-2006, 03:11 PM   #6
No Longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postalrecon
i think its an option in the telestra os

i think a majority of the forums is addicted to bb anyway, the 8100 is the newest thing, so of course someone will justify themselves getting it, i like the size, but the keyboard bugs me, oh well.
Oh stop Alex
You know me, I will always find a reason ...

Old 09-13-2006, 03:13 PM   #7
Postalrecon

Quote:
Oh stop Alex
You know me, I will always find a reason ...
yea i know caro, its like me with the indeciseveness between 8700c and 7130c, ill find a reason to get an 8100, ill get on the bandwagon probably when cingular drops theirs

Old 09-13-2006, 03:19 PM   #8
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I'm with you chinesecatt. The size is a dream come true for me. My SLVR is going on eBay shortly.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:19 PM   #9
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

A couple of friends at work are really on the fence about the 8100. Looks sweet but they're worried about SureType, especially one guy who has an 8700. I'm loaning my 7105t out so they can spend a couple of days with it as their regular BB device and determine by hands on if they can deal with SureType.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:21 PM   #10
Postalrecon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc
I'm with you chinesecatt. The size is a dream come true for me. My SLVR is going on eBay shortly.
i am too, the size is a godsend, im still not sure how i can deal with suretype, its ok, way better than t9 but im just an indecisive bastard anyway

Old 09-13-2006, 03:22 PM   #11
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postalrecon
i am too, the size is a godsend, im still not sure how i can deal with suretype, its ok, way better than t9 but im just an indecisive bastard anyway
I'm impartial to SureType. I've owned several of each type.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:26 PM   #12
Postalrecon

me too, im just not comfortable on a suretype device

Old 09-13-2006, 03:39 PM   #13
AlwaysOn607
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

This "size - dream come true" moment for me was two years ago when I bought my 7100t. I had two phones and a PDA at the time and to consolidate was wonderful.

But my 7100t is sorely in need to something to replace it, so I ordered my 8100 yesterday.

The form factor wins for me! And while I get a fair amount of emails daily, I can usually wait to respond until I am at a computer. If urgent, I can respond by calling. Therefore, suretype has never been a big issue for me.

I am sure when the 8800 arrives, I will find some reason to change.....just like you Chinesecat. A girl has to have variety!!
Old 09-13-2006, 03:39 PM   #14
AlwaysOn607
Thumbs Must Hurt

sorry - double post -
Old 09-13-2006, 08:59 PM   #15
No Longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc
I bought my unlock SLVR for almost $300... I don't think I will part with it and sell it for just over a hundred

At least not yet

Isn't it nice to be a woman AlwaysOn607? we can always find an excuse to purchase what we like *giggles*

Old 09-13-2006, 09:06 PM   #16
No Longer Registered.

I have owned the 7100t and the 7100i before, so I know how a "pain" is the suretype. Seems that the form of this baby made me overlook that -- besides, I still have my 8700g and I definitely will be keeping it.

Since I'm basically at my desk working with full access to my computer, getting emails from my 8100 would not be an issue... as AlwaysOn607 said, we can always wait to reply... or not :-D

Old 09-14-2006, 08:03 AM   #17
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
I bought my unlock SLVR for almost $300... I don't think I will part with it and sell it for just over a hundred

At least not yet

Isn't it nice to be a woman AlwaysOn607? we can always find an excuse to purchase what we like *giggles*
I paid about the same for mine about 2 months ago from CompUSA... I have some mods done to my software that could justify charging more, but I might not sell it yet either. I really don't need it now though.

I'm ready for a KRZR. :p

FYI: You don't have to be a woman to purchase what you like. I'm a man but I don't usually deny myself anything.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:16 AM   #18
AlwaysOn607
Thumbs Must Hurt

LOL dc/dc!!! You are right about that!!
Old 09-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #19
triggster

Model: 8700r

I'm currently on 8700r and the size of 8100 would benefit my needs. I carry around two celluar phones, a 8700r, and a pda on week days. 8100 will eliminate a 8700r, and one celluar phone. My few (or SOME!) concerns are below.

1) realiabilty (speed) -> there were comments from Pearl users that the unit slows down when it's busy. I've had this experience with Sony Ericsson phone and it was annoying at times. Will RIM will launch out a new firmware to eliminate the lagging issue?

2) Voice Quality -> 8700 is known (or alot of BB models) to have echo when you are on voice call. I've heard 8100's voice call quality is better... I guess I can buy that.

3) Recalls -> This has never happened from RIM (unless it has happened before)

4) IM functions -> I've heard the AIM messenger software on Pearl can only shows up to 30 users per aim account. Okay. WTH...

5) Static reception -> I don't think any phone now these days have this issue, but Pearl users have experienced it. Hopely it's just a glitch from the blackspots and network issue.

6) Canadian version of Pearl -> RIM better not change the colour for Canada users......

What I'm not concern about

True Type / Sure Type keyboard - Everyone will get use to it
Rain Proof - Was it ever on your concern?
Heat Proof - same as above.

BUT I'M STILL GETTING IT FOR THE SIZE! =)
Old 09-14-2006, 01:08 PM   #20
Eric5273

Model: 7100g
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggster
4) IM functions -> I've heard the AIM messenger software on Pearl can only shows up to 30 users per aim account. Okay. WTH...
The OZ IM program is the same one they put on their regular phones. When it connects to AOL, AOL's servers see you as a "Mobile Device" and thus only allow you to see your "Mobile Device" buddy group. Also, if others see you on their buddy list, you will have the little phone logo next to your name indicating you are on a mobile device. This limitation is an AOL limitation, not a limitation of the program.

The purpose of this is two-fold:

1) to inform others that you are signed on from your phone
2) the buddy list limitation is to save on SMS charges as it would take quite a few SMS messages to download a large buddy list. I'm pretty sure you would not want to use 10 messages just to download your buddy list. So this allows you to keep a smaller buddy list just for your phone.

The way the 3rd party programs get around this limitation is that they sign on as a regular PC client, so AOL's servers see you no differently than if you signed on from your computer. No phone icon will appear next to your name on others buddy lists and you will see your complete buddy list.
Closed Thread