pinhead
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 30EC5097
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger123 View Post
My average stack price is about 228. I bought it all in the past week. Lets hope she keep going up from here!!!
Is this a joke? You didn't really do that...did you?
Old 08-14-2007, 08:16 AM   #22
Willie115
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: mEowmIx

With the limited amount of forum post he might just be making it all up, if I were to invest this much money into RIMM I'd at least read forums all the time and understand the devices and what room it has to grow.

Then again we always have silent readers that don't post so I may be wrong.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:02 PM   #23
jungleland
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t

Quote:
My average stack price is about 228. I bought it all in the past week. Lets hope she keep going up from here!!!

as a professional (Hedge Fund Manager), I will tell you that your trade (s) could be the worst I have seen/heard of in 10 years...It has a P/E of 54, and has gone VERTICAL recently. Absolutely HORRIFIC timing. I am sorry, normally I keep my mouth shut, but it's trades like this that cause the violent swings in the market. People chase chase chase stocks, rather than having some foresight, and then when things get bad, they panic out and cause the down move to be more exaggerated. Your Risk/Reward ratio becomes all risk, and virtually no reward (based upon collected statistics)

All of that being said, don't chase, if you see a stock you want to be involved in, wait for a down move to get in to it. Maintain discipline in your trading, you will do much better.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:27 AM   #24
tiger123

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Talking

Wow....I haven't been on the forum in quiet a while and I'm surprised at all the crap everyone has given me.

First I didn't start the thread to brag about money. I'm a middle class guy (Mechanical Engineer) that has been disciplined and has save a good bit in my 401ks and IRAs so over time it has built up to a decent amount...like it should. I would expect most responsible people have saved more than me since I'm only in my 30s so I didn't start the thread to brag! I actually started it because I really like Blackberrys and I think business wise they are going pretty far...but that's just my opinion! I would’ve thought the people on here would have liked Blackberrys too so I decided to start this thread...to basically say, "Hey guys I'm new but I'm like everyone else here...I love my Blackberry and I like where the company is going".

I'm a somewhat experienced investor but my timing is off sometimes like everyone else’s. Let me tell you what happened after I started this thread...

I ended up buying RIMM as it went down to an average of around 226 per share (boy it was hard to keep buying it on the way down) hahaha. Then as some of you may remember it came back up to a recent high of 228.42. No I didn't sell it at the high but I had a limit order in at 228.00 so it sold (I think that was Aug. 8th). So I didn't make a fortune but I did gain money. So all of you that thought it was crazy may have been a little off, although I'm sure none of you will admit that

Since I sold RIMM I have repurchased it again at about 210. It went up to 215 the other day and I held on to it...maybe I should have sold then too. I still think it's going up. Oh and they continue to get upgraded by some analyst so I don't think I'm alone in thinking it will eventually go past it's 52 week low. It’s a great growth company with a good balance sheet.

Thanks for the concerns and opinions!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:01 AM   #25
jungleland
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t

Quote:
Wow....I haven't been on the forum in quiet a while and I'm surprised at all the crap everyone has given me.

First I didn't start the thread to brag about money. I'm a middle class guy (Mechanical Engineer) that has been disciplined and has save a good bit in my 401ks and IRAs so over time it has built up to a decent amount...like it should. I would expect most responsible people have saved more than me since I'm only in my 30s so I didn't start the thread to brag! I actually started it because I really like Blackberrys and I think business wise they are going pretty far...but that's just my opinion! I would’ve thought the people on here would have liked Blackberrys too so I decided to start this thread...to basically say, "Hey guys I'm new but I'm like everyone else here...I love my Blackberry and I like where the company is going".

I'm a somewhat experienced investor but my timing is off sometimes like everyone else’s. Let me tell you what happened after I started this thread...

I ended up buying RIMM as it went down to an average of around 226 per share (boy it was hard to keep buying it on the way down) hahaha. Then as some of you may remember it came back up to a recent high of 228.42. No I didn't sell it at the high but I had a limit order in at 228.00 so it sold (I think that was Aug. 8th). So I didn't make a fortune but I did gain money. So all of you that thought it was crazy may have been a little off, although I'm sure none of you will admit that

Since I sold RIMM I have repurchased it again at about 210. It went up to 215 the other day and I held on to it...maybe I should have sold then too. I still think it's going up. Oh and they continue to get upgraded by some analyst so I don't think I'm alone in thinking it will eventually go past it's 52 week low. It’s a great growth company with a good balance sheet.

Thanks for the concerns and opinions!

You are making yourself look like an even worse trader. You are admitting to buying at an average of 226, and then selling at 228? THAT'S LESS THAN ONE PERCENT!! You BOUGHT a stock near it's 52 week high, not after it made a very slow, organized move higher, but after it made a rather quick move to the upside, on inconsistent volume TO MAKE LESS THAN ONE PERCENT. Do you understand how back of a risk/reward strategy that is? What was your stop on the downside .20%??? Seriously, it's just awful, the stock moves on AVERAGE 4% on any given day. A stock like RIMM should be bought or sold (using good timing) and you should be looking for about 5%-7.5% return short term, and 10%+ long term..

You keep trading like you are and you will be broke very quickly....
Old 08-15-2007, 10:09 AM   #26
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

^^good reason for ADVISER'S opinions and not doing it yourself. My guy would have stopped me dead in my tracks and asked "Is this play money, or a serious investment?". And then he would have told me I was stupid, which is what a good adviser is for.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:56 PM   #27
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
(maybe wait until it lowers to $200-205 or so)
...someone shoot me, please. lowers to $197 then gains $22.50/share two days later. honestly. shoot me. this leading into next week's split. ugh.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:26 PM   #28
sprat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland View Post
You are making yourself look like an even worse trader. You are admitting to buying at an average of 226, and then selling at 228? THAT'S LESS THAN ONE PERCENT!! You BOUGHT a stock near it's 52 week high, not after it made a very slow, organized move higher, but after it made a rather quick move to the upside, on inconsistent volume TO MAKE LESS THAN ONE PERCENT. Do you understand how back of a risk/reward strategy that is? What was your stop on the downside .20%??? Seriously, it's just awful, the stock moves on AVERAGE 4% on any given day. A stock like RIMM should be bought or sold (using good timing) and you should be looking for about 5%-7.5% return short term, and 10%+ long term..

You keep trading like you are and you will be broke very quickly....

latest quotes have RIM targeted at $285/share
Old 08-21-2007, 08:41 PM   #29
tiger123

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

I know I know....I'm stupid for buying the stock lower than what I sold it for. Then I bought it at 211 per share and it goes to 226 then splits.

Yeah y'all are right...I'm the stupid one...hahahaha
Old 08-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #30
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Agree to agree.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:12 AM   #31
sprat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Rogers

Company 'undervalued,' Goldman Sachs says...

Shares of BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd. moved higher yesterday after another analyst said the company is undervalued at its current share price and boosted his outlook for RIM's subscriber growth.

"We believe that investors do not give RIM credit for the lifetime value of the services contract that RIM receives per subscriber," Goldman Sachs analyst Brantley Thompson wrote in a recent note to clients.

RIM shares jumped $15.47, or seven per cent, to $235.99 on Nasdaq. On the Toronto Stock Exchange, they rose $5.33, or 6.9 per cent, to $82.90

At those prices, the shares are still relatively cheap compared with Thompson's 12-month price target of $295 for the Nasdaq-listed shares.

Thompson also said he was raising RIM's subscriber estimates to 1.375 million from 1.350 million for the next quarter and cited "very strong store checks in the U.S. retail channel" as one of his reasons.
"In addition, churn is much lower for RIM than other device companies, reducing the acquisition cost per subscriber and providing healthier profit levels," he wrote. (Churn is a term used to describe customer turnover.)

RIM's BlackBerry line of smartphones has become a staple for lawyers, politicians, executives and other professionals, but has yet to reach similar acceptance levels in the broader consumer market.
As the company moves to capture those consumers, its BlackBerry is expected to butt heads with Apple's recently released iPhone. The iPhone, laden with multimedia features, is aimed at the high-end consumer, rather than the mostly corporate users who buy the BlackBerry.

RIM first released a multimedia-heavy device, the BlackBerry Pearl, last September.

The Goldman analyst's note, dated Sunday, came about a week after UBS upgraded the stock for similar reasons.

"Our recent U.S. retail checks indicate continued solid demand, while in Europe RIM has expanded its distribution ... which we believe is the right strategic move as the company expands more aggressively into the consumer market," UBS analyst Jeffrey Fan wrote on Aug. 13.
He raised his target price to $280 from $235.
Closed Thread