BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 03:30 PM   #1
BLC
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100t
Default APN/Internet config help for a UK T-Mo user

Please Login to Remove!

Feel free to move/edit/close/delete/flame/etc this thread as necessary. I've searched around this and a few other BB forums and can't really find any answers that are specific to UK users. I'm using a 7100t on T-Mobile UK with OS 4.0.0.215 and I'm having a bit of a nightmare getting third party applications to access internet/data services.

Now. T-Zones (TMo's bundled browser) works fine and the TMo InstantEmail service works fine (albeit a bit slow in delivering mail, but that's not the issue), so it is sending data back and fore over GPRS albeit with the bundled apps. What I can't do is get third party internet-based applications working, such as VeriChat or IM+. Those are the only two I've tried so far, however they report the same error, so it's safe to assume there's a bit of an issue.

Before you jump down my throat, I've configured the APN in the TCP settings according to the FAQ on this site, and this list (ReqWireless APN's), and this one (ShapeServices APN list). I've tried all variations, general.t-mobile.uk, general.t-mobile.co.uk (and if anyone could clarify which of those is a spelling mistake, then let me know!) and blackberry.net, and every time IM+ and VeriChat report a "could not open tunnel" error.

I've also tried setting up the BB as a USB dialup modem for my laptop (as per FAQ) and it does report the correct responses when the modem is interrogated with AT queries, yet I get the "The PPP link control protocol was terminated" error when I try and dial up. This, I understand, relates to a problem with the APN/TCP settings on the blackberry itself.

The problem is that I don't understand where I've gone wrong. I've configured everything according to the FAQs, I have spoken to T-Mo's second line techs, who said that all the APN names needed are set up on my account (although they wouldn't actually *tell me* the required APN name?!!?!) and see no reason why t-zones & InstantEmail work but a third party app doesn't. Obviously, they won't give me any support on a third party app, they're only interested in their own software ;).

If anyone can give me any advice or point me in the direction of a glaringly stupid obvious mistake I've made, then it'd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Byron.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:14 AM   #2
ventmore
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

I have a 7100t with t-mobile UK. The APN should be set to general.t-mobile.uk. For the username, you should put "user", and for the password, use "pass".

If that still doesn't work, you need to phone t-mobile, and make sure that all of the correct services are on your account.

Last week, my handset could not log onto the GPRS network...just GSM. I phoned t-mobile, and the guy said that my account showed that I had "Blackberry", and "Internet" on my account, and that this will cause problems as I only need "Blackberry", and that will deal with everything. I queried whether removing "Internet" would affect my 3rd-party apps (and also why it had worked for 7 months with no problems), and he said no.

Anyway...he proceeded to take it off, and within minutes, my handset was back on the GPRS network. However, I later tried to log into verichat, and I got an error. Instantemail and the BB Browser were still working fine.

I phoned back the next day and got a more knowledgable(sp) CSR. He looked at my account and said there was something missing...he didn't explain what exactly, but it was whatever the guy had removed the day before.

I guess what I'm saying is...firstly...it is possible for them to have you setup incorrectly, and for the instantemail etc. to still work. Secondly...just because one guy at t-mobile couldn't get it going for you, doesn't mean one of the orthers won't be able to...keep at them until you get to someone who knows what they are doing

Cheers
Ventmore
Old 11-03-2005, 08:08 AM   #3
BLC

Wirelessly posted (7100t (T-Mobile UK): BlackBerry7100/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/5.1.1.3)

Yeah, I've tried the APN settings you describe, and it makes no difference, I still get a "could not open tunnel" error. Guess it's back to T-Mo tech support. Problem is, as you mentioned, getting a tech that knows what they're talking about when it comes to blackberries; they're such an uncommon phone for a personal user, most T-Mo techs just go "Duhhhhhh" when you ask them a technical BB question.

If only it didn't cost me £0.50 per minute to call them on the self service plan (ouch) from my phone!

Cheers for the advice, I'm further along than I would have been!
PIN 202B2655
Old 11-03-2005, 09:13 AM   #4
ventmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC
Wirelessly posted (7100t (T-Mobile UK): BlackBerry7100/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/5.1.1.3)

Yeah, I've tried the APN settings you describe, and it makes no difference, I still get a "could not open tunnel" error. Guess it's back to T-Mo tech support. Problem is, as you mentioned, getting a tech that knows what they're talking about when it comes to blackberries; they're such an uncommon phone for a personal user, most T-Mo techs just go "Duhhhhhh" when you ask them a technical BB question.

If only it didn't cost me £0.50 per minute to call them on the self service plan (ouch) from my phone!

Cheers for the advice, I'm further along than I would have been!
No probs mate.

I too am on the self service plan, so I normally call them from my landline on 0845 412 5000...charged at local rates
Old 11-03-2005, 02:10 PM   #5
BLC

Well, I called them earlier and was informed that apparently my account is set up with Blackberry and "internet" access, and the APN I need is general.t-mobile.co.uk, with username "user" and password "one2one". And it still doesn't work.

Back on the phone to them tomoro .
PIN 202B2655
Old 11-03-2005, 02:20 PM   #6
ventmore

Sorry to hear that mate. I doubt there is more than one APN setting for tmo uk (I'm open to be shot down here), and the settings I posted above are the ones I use with no problems at all. I'm at a bit of a loss to be honest now mate...I just hope someone can sort it out for you.

Ventmore
Closed Thread