Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 01:52 PM   #1
forrestc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default Redirector works without Exchange Server - POP only Outlook

Please Login to Remove!

There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions about this out in the forums.

I have Redirector working with a non-Exchange Server Outlook install.

Desktop Manager (4.0.1.10)
Desktop Redirector (3.6.0.39)
Outlook 2002, SP3 - Only Message Services set up are to POP an email box.

I found that the key is to set Outlook to send/receive every 1 minute. Redirector just uses SMTP messaging to communicate with the Blackberry, so as long as your messages are moving, it seems to work fine.

So far, so good (already done lots of testing):
- Messages arriving in Outlook are redirected to the BB.
- Messages read from the BB are marked as read in the Outlook Inbox.
- Replies from the BB show up in the 'Sent' folder in Outlook.
- Replies from the BB have my company email and sig as set up in Desktop Redirector

Pros:
- My inbox and BB will be in sync! (i.e. messages read on BB will automatically be marked as read in Outlook)
- Closest emulation of BES messaging, without installing BES or paying a provider like link2exchange $20/month + setup fees

Cons:
- Message delivery not "real-time" to the second, but all emails are forwarded to the BB or sent back within 1-2 minutes.
- No attachments sent to BB - BUT, if I get a message with an attachment I want to see, I just forward it on the handheld to my gmail account. From there, when it gets forwarded through Webclient, I can view the entire attachment.
- Real-time schedule/contact updates through redirector. (Must be sync'ed at desktop)

I thought about how volume of messages might affect this setup, but it should still work the same. Outlook can send as many of Redirector's messages to the BB as needed each minute when it does a send/receive.

As a bonus, my BB Web Interface is still forwarding my gmail emails to the BB - AND - when I reply to the gmail messages, they go out through the webclient with my gmail address in the 'From:' and the webclient sig instead of my company address and sig that redirector uses. So, if I ever do need attachments, I can just forward them to my gmail account, which goes through the BB Webclient.

Anything I'm missing here? Hope this helps someone who has had a problem before..

-forrest
Old 09-19-2005, 07:07 PM   #2
jpm121

Model: 7520
Carrier: nextel

Are you seeing any of the infamous network<garbage>@<something-something>.blackberry.net messages lingering in your Inbox? I'm just working on getting Redirector up and running with Exchange, and while the messages go away normally as stuff gets filtered in and out, it's still annoying...
Old 09-19-2005, 07:24 PM   #3
forrestc

I only see those messages for a very brief moment as the redirector does it's thing when the new messages come in. Never noticed them pausing in the inbox - they do sit in the outbox until the next send/receive initiates (1 min.)

I also had to remove the windows default sound for new mail, as it was sounding every time the redirector received a message from the handheld (more often than new mail was actually arriving).

-forrest
Old 09-19-2005, 10:06 PM   #4
dyzs
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9100
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestc

Pros:
- My inbox and BB will be in sync! (i.e. messages read on BB will automatically be marked as read in Outlook)
- Closest emulation of BES messaging, without installing BES or paying a provider like link2exchange $20/month + setup fees
This works with Outlook 2003 as well. When is your inbox and BB in sync with messages being marked read? Is this only after you reconcile mail by syncing with your BB connected to your desktop?
Old 09-20-2005, 08:07 AM   #5
forrestc

After being opened on the Blackberry, the messages are being updated as 'read' in Outlook over-the-air. I do not have to sync the device to get the message status (read/unread) to be updated.

However, it looks like Redirector does not communicate with the device to reconcile the status until another new message comes in. There doesn't seem to be a set schedule, and selecting "Reconcile Now" from the BB menu doesn't force the reconciliation either.

Here's what I am observing his morning:
- I received three messages at 7:08, 7:38, and 8:12.
- All 3 messages have been opened on the BB.
- I have NOT connected the BB to the desktop.
- The 7:08 and 7:38 messages are marked as 'read' in Outlook, the 8:12 message is still 'unread'.

-forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzs
This works with Outlook 2003 as well. When is your inbox and BB in sync with messages being marked read? Is this only after you reconcile mail by syncing with your BB connected to your desktop?
Old 09-20-2005, 08:11 AM   #6
forrestc

Oh yeah - I forgot to mention that if I do plug the BB into the PC at any time and sync, the Desktop Manager will correctly update the status of all messages in Outlook.

But, it is also definitely working over-the-air.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:57 PM   #7
GadgetFreak

Model: 7230
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Does the sync work from PC to BB

Im having a different problem. Changes I make on the BB do as you say. But changes I make on the PC dont get made on the BB when I sync. So if I get a bunch of mail, move it delete it or whatever on the BB, when I plug into the PC all the changes are happened. If I use outlook at my desktop and make changes, and sync at the end of the day, nothing happens on the BB. Any thoughts on this? I dont think it used to be this way. Im on TMobile with a 7230. The Outlook is connected to an exhange server. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:33 PM   #8
forrestc

You may need to adjust the settings on the Blackerry and on the Desktop Manager to get this working correctly.

On the Blackberry, from the inbox, go to Options, then go to Email Reconciliation. Mine is currently set to the following:
Message Services: Desktop
Delete On: Desktop & Handheld

On the Desktop Manager, go to Intelisync, then Configure Reconcilliation. Select "Synchronize moves and deletes" "Mailbox Wins".

That's how mine is set up, and I'm pretty sure that the mailboxes have been reconciling correctly when I sync the BB. I'll have to do some more testing when I am in the office on Monday. I will let you know if I can recreate the same problems you were mentioning or verify that it works correctly with these settings..

-forrest
Old 11-13-2005, 12:34 PM   #9
rattleme

Model: 8100

I am getting a microsoft error when trying to open the bb desktop redirector? Why am I having this problem??
Old 11-13-2005, 02:00 PM   #10
kunal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
Carrier: Tmobile

the only reason I dont like the redirector is that it requires the machine running outlook to be online at all times. IMHO, This kind of defeats the purpose of having the BB in the first place.

kunal
Old 11-13-2005, 09:45 PM   #11
rattleme

Model: 8100
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestc
There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions about this out in the forums.

I have Redirector working with a non-Exchange Server Outlook install.

Desktop Manager (4.0.1.10)
Desktop Redirector (3.6.0.39)
Outlook 2002, SP3 - Only Message Services set up are to POP an email box.

I found that the key is to set Outlook to send/receive every 1 minute. Redirector just uses SMTP messaging to communicate with the Blackberry, so as long as your messages are moving, it seems to work fine.

So far, so good (already done lots of testing):
- Messages arriving in Outlook are redirected to the BB.
- Messages read from the BB are marked as read in the Outlook Inbox.
- Replies from the BB show up in the 'Sent' folder in Outlook.
- Replies from the BB have my company email and sig as set up in Desktop Redirector

Pros:

Cons:
- Message delivery not "real-time" to the second, but all emails are forwarded to the BB or sent back within 1-2 minutes.
- No attachments sent to BB - BUT, if I get a message with an attachment I want to see, I just forward it on the handheld to my gmail account. From there, when it gets forwarded through Webclient, I can view the entire attachment.
- Real-time schedule/contact updates through redirector. (Must be sync'ed at desktop)

I thought about how volume of messages might affect this setup, but it should still work the same. Outlook can send as many of Redirector's messages to the BB as needed each minute when it does a send/receive.

As a bonus, my BB Web Interface is still forwarding my gmail emails to the BB - AND - when I reply to the gmail messages, they go out through the webclient with my gmail address in the 'From:' and the webclient sig instead of my company address and sig that redirector uses. So, if I ever do need attachments, I can just forward them to my gmail account, which goes through the BB Webclient.

Anything I'm missing here? Hope this helps someone who has had a problem before..

-forrest

OK>>

I am using this redirector fine, but a few questions?

I have the redirector open and running along with Outlook 2003. The mail comes in and then gets redirected to the BB. I reply to the emails and the reply on the BB gets put in my sent folder.

Now, I also have the email coming in from the Web Client that I had set up on the Cingular web client before. This is the confusing part for me because I am getting the same message 2X when outlook + redirector are running as well as the web client. If I delete the email address that the web client uses, then when I have Outlook 2003 and redirector shut down I will not get my email on the BB correct?

If I have my laptop shut off and let the web client push the email, then when I get home and start up the redirector + outlook 2003 then I would get the messages all over again and have 2 of the same emails on my BB correct?

How do I avoid getting 2 of the same emails during the day? If I sync it when i get home it will not recognize the web client emails being read in outlook?

Please help?
Closed Thread