BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
rsuplido

Model: 8700C
Default Mac users, sound off! :)

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all, I'm new here. I just got an 8700c this weekend (shifting from a Treo 650) and am planning to use it with a Mac. I've gone through most of the threads with 'mac' in it and got so tired reading since the mac info is allover the place. I am currently enjoying my BB but cannot find information about it in one place. That is why I'm creating a site to gather information about the Blackberry and the Mac. The site will have news, a wiki, forums, and downloads.

Anyone willing to help? PM me.

Last edited by rsuplido; 03-07-2006 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-07-2006, 05:21 PM   #2
taylor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: o2

Not sure if I have anything to offer - though as BB & Mac user it would be interesting to see such a site.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
RAN

Model: 8700c

Any way for us Mac users to download ZEN?
And Thanks for your efforts though I am so laking any skills to help
Old 03-07-2006, 05:44 PM   #4
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAN
Any way for us Mac users to download ZEN?
There is no Application Loader for Mac at this time. You would need to connect your BlackBerry to a Windows computer and use Application Loader from there.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-07-2006, 06:05 PM   #5
rossf
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: Vodafone

Seems the best outome at the moment would be a dedicated sticky or a sub-forum on BBforums for Mac users. Then, "the mac info is all over the place" problem would be solved.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:34 PM   #6
s1mple

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers
Default Sorry, newbie question about Contacts info

I am about to purchase an 8700 and move away from my Palm LifeDrive. I'm on a Mac G5 and have a question about transferring my Contacts to the BB. Do I need to install Outlook or Entourage, load in the contact info from Palm Desktop and then sync with the BB? Or will PocketMac be able to read my Palm Contacts database, translate the data, and move it to my 8700?

I'm not so concerned about moving my Calendar or Tasks data to the BB but I'd rather not re-type 350+ contacts on my BB.

Any help/insight here appreciated. I pick up the 8700 on Friday.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:40 PM   #7
rossf

Model: 8300
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1mple
I am about to purchase an 8700 and move away from my Palm LifeDrive. I'm on a Mac G5 and have a question about transferring my Contacts to the BB. Do I need to install Outlook or Entourage, load in the contact info from Palm Desktop and then sync with the BB? Or will PocketMac be able to read my Palm Contacts database, translate the data, and move it to my 8700?

I'm not so concerned about moving my Calendar or Tasks data to the BB but I'd rather not re-type 350+ contacts on my BB.

Any help/insight here appreciated. I pick up the 8700 on Friday.
Are your Contacts stored in Address Book as well as Palm database??
Old 03-07-2006, 09:43 PM   #8
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

I have a sticky that will hopefully assist? See my sig.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:44 PM   #9
rsuplido

Are yoy syncing your LifeDrive contacts to you Mac using Palm Desktop or MissingSync? If that's the case, your Address Book should contain your 350+ contacts already.

In PocketMac, you can choose where the source of your contacts -- Address Book, Entourage, etc. During your first sync, all the contacts will go to your BB.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:05 AM   #10
s1mple

Right now all my Contact info is in a Palm database. My OSX Address Box only has the basic most often used "trusted" people/names in it - 50+.
I am using MS to sync the LifeDrive and my Palm Desktop.

Are you saying now that I should figure out how to get MS to sync with my Address Book (i.e. moves names etc from my LD to my AdddressBook) and then have PocketMac use it (Addressbook) to upload to the BB?

How faithful with the transfer be? Will it place names, numbers etc in the right field on the BB? Reading threads here it seems to be a somewhat hit and miss venture and sometimes the info disapppears??

Thanks for all your help as I begin to navigate these unfamiliar waters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuplido
Are yoy syncing your LifeDrive contacts to you Mac using Palm Desktop or MissingSync? If that's the case, your Address Book should contain your 350+ contacts already.

In PocketMac, you can choose where the source of your contacts -- Address Book, Entourage, etc. During your first sync, all the contacts will go to your BB.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:39 PM   #11
rsuplido

Coming from a Treo 650 myself, yes, I thought that the contacts information are properly mapped to the correct fields in the BB. The only thing missing is an option for two addresses of a contact and you'll end up dropping the second address of the contact.

Palm Desktop (for the Mac) will sync your LD contacts with your Mac with no problems (but note about the 50+ you currenlty have since during the sync those 50+ might get duplicated). Once that's done, PocketMac will bring all those contacts to your BB. If something goes wrong, you still have a backup of your contacts on your PC anyway.

My BB is only 5 days old so I'm also new to the BB world. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1mple
Right now all my Contact info is in a Palm database. My OSX Address Box only has the basic most often used "trusted" people/names in it - 50+.
I am using MS to sync the LifeDrive and my Palm Desktop.

Are you saying now that I should figure out how to get MS to sync with my Address Book (i.e. moves names etc from my LD to my AdddressBook) and then have PocketMac use it (Addressbook) to upload to the BB?

How faithful with the transfer be? Will it place names, numbers etc in the right field on the BB? Reading threads here it seems to be a somewhat hit and miss venture and sometimes the info disapppears??

Thanks for all your help as I begin to navigate these unfamiliar waters.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:40 PM   #12
tobes01

Model: 8800g
Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Default Tread carefully with PocketMac

Welcome to the world of Mac/Blackberry. I left the fold briefly to a Treo 650, but the blasted thing was so unreliable that I gave in on it. That was a shame, because it meant that I could use MissingSync rather than PocketMac...

Be careful with PocketMac. I've synced with Address Book/iCal, Entourage and Daylite - actually I've never synced with Daylite because it bombs out before it gets anywhere. The Entourage sync hosed out my address book more times than I care to mention. So far I've synced with Address Book/iCal twice, but I back it up completely before the sync.

Don't expect any support from PocketMac, they've never answered my questions - we're all behind you if you're going to set up an independent resource.

Cheers

Tobes
Old 03-14-2006, 10:56 PM   #13
s1mple

Default Update on my PocketMac experience

Well, I finally got up the courage to sync between my 8700 & Mac. The Apple Addressbook/Contacts sync went very well. I have several iCal calendars and I was surprised that PM did not give me the option of picking which calendar I wanted to sync with - it synced with them ALL and transferred way too many dates/tasks. Had to erase BB and start again otherwise I'd be hitting the D key forever.

I think I'll stick to PM just syncing my Contacts and Notes for now. I'll wait for a better way of handling/synching the Tasks and Calendar info. Unless someone else has a better idea ... ???

Just a couple more days with my old Palm ...

Thanks for your help in this forum. Good to be among fellow Mac users.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:55 PM   #14
macblack

Model: 7290T

We have a Mac shop and several BB users and keep a Win box for an app loader. I appreciate having a Mac forum as well, even if the "Mac experience" is crippled at the moment.

Now that RIM has settled there challenges I can only hope* that they will now address us "Mac orphans."

* Non-reality based expectation.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #15
BBQBB

Model: 7100g
Carrier: Cincinnati Bell
Default another newbie

I'm a new user. Got a 7100g just a few days ago.

I successfully sync-ed with my Now Up To Contact database with a few minor glitches. The sync back to the Mac seems to hang up. I've figured out the typing, entering bookmarks and a few other functions so far.

Are there functions or options I'm missing by not being able to use the included Windows based desktop software? For example, is there a way to default to the SIM address book or split my messages up into various folders/screens? Right now all my messages (voice mail, email, etc) all drop into one location. Can they be split?

Any help or a point in the right direction is greatly appreciated. Then maybe I can help the next new guy.

THANKS.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:06 PM   #16
mapin

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Ah..i just posted a message before finding this thread. I'm a new bb user with an 8700g. And I'm a mac user. I'm actually quite peeved that there isn't better mac to bb integration. Getting a PC just to upload apps is absurd. Anybody out there that can program an app uploader for the mac?
I have 14 days to return this BB and get a Treo, I'll be seriously considering it give the lack of software, flash support, pdf support, mac support, voice dialing, bluetooth crippling.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:33 PM   #17
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapin
Ah..i just posted a message before finding this thread. I'm a new bb user with an 8700g. And I'm a mac user. I'm actually quite peeved that there isn't better mac to bb integration. Getting a PC just to upload apps is absurd. Anybody out there that can program an app uploader for the mac?
I have 14 days to return this BB and get a Treo, I'll be seriously considering it give the lack of software, flash support, pdf support, mac support, voice dialing, bluetooth crippling.
Might as well return it then since you are not going to get any of the things you are missing (lack of software, flash support, pdf support, mac support, voice dialing, bluetooth crippling)in the next 14 days.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Closed Thread