Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
neilr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: Cingular / AT&T
Default BB Development on the Mac

Please Login to Remove!

To set the tone, I previously used a Treo 650 and Mark/Space's excellent Missing Sync for PalmOS to sync with my Mac.

PocketMac is quite the step down from Missing Sync. Too much disconnect-reconnect silliness to get it to see my 8700g. The sync is not too smart, either. Rather than actually sync a contact that existed on the Mac (in Address Book.app) and on the BB, it simply ignored the data from the Mac.

So, time to consider a better solution. I've got development experience in C/C++ and Java. Not so familar with XCode and Cocoa/Obj-C, but that comes with usage. I'm pondering writing my own sync solution. Tiger has the excellent Sync Services for doing this sort of thing.

Anybody have any experience with developing for the BB (specifically on the Mac)? Are the RIM class libraries available? Documentation?

I'll be digging into this more soon, just thought I'd put this out there. I've no real idea quite how big this task is (likely very), but I'm inspired to look at it.

Thoughts?
Old 09-13-2006, 11:37 AM   #2
ediamond

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Go Go Go!

Great idea! I paid Markspace $40 for an excellent sync product for the Treo. If you can do the same I'd pay that much for a BB solution as well. I'd be happy to beta test too.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:02 PM   #3
wclyffe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediamond
Great idea! I paid Markspace $40 for an excellent sync product for the Treo. If you can do the same I'd pay that much for a BB solution as well. I'd be happy to beta test too.
So would I.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:21 AM   #4
tibook

Carrier: Tmo

I just wrote MarkSpace asking them to consider development for the BB/Mac as well. We need a total solution, at least make it comparable to the Windows platform! I would support a $40 alternative solution.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:49 PM   #5
ts-bb

i'd be interested in helping out with this project if it ever came to be.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:57 PM   #6
neilr

Carrier: Cingular / AT&T

So… PocketMac for BB v4 has been released. It appears that it is now in the hands of RIM, and no longer with IAA. I say this because the program is now downloaded from RIM, and it looks like support is on the RIM site.

I've installed and used v4 (Address Book only) with my 8700g. It addresses some of my main concerns with v3: sync method choices (overwrite desktop, overwrite handheld, 2 way sync) and 3rd party application loading.

I would still like to see the ability to load the OS.

I have an incredible number of other projects that demand my attention, so I've been lax in looking into this. Does it still make sense to pursue another sync solution, or does RIM seem to be making acceptable progress in supporting the Mac?

[For some reason, I wasn't getting notifications of replies, so I apologize for leaving this thread unwatched for so long. i think this has been corrected.]
Old 10-04-2006, 07:02 PM   #7
cschlegelmilch

Carrier: Rogers

I agree whole heartedly -- the current solutions leave a whole lot to be desired. You would think the ideal solution would at least integrate in OSX's native sync services/iSync.

I'm a system/solutions architect by day, and I've dabbled a bit in ObjC/Cocoa and would be willing to at the very least, explore the possibilities. Maybe even write a few lines of code too...
Old 10-10-2006, 10:39 AM   #8
tibook

Carrier: Tmo

I doubt RIM has taken the project over.

I wish I knew why there wasn't better support for the Mac. Maybe too many mac people holding out for iPhones Maybe because BBs are tied to Exchange servers so often that it weeds out most Mac users. I dunno.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:43 PM   #9
hugacrv

Model: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibook
...Maybe too many mac people holding out for iPhones ... I dunno.
That's where I am.

I'd really like to get the iPhone (if it becomes reality) because I assume it will have superior mail/contact/calendar/music synchronization.

However, with PocketMac 4 out for the Pearl, I'm dangerously close to giving it a try.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:16 PM   #10
lkb

Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugacrv
That's where I am.

I'd really like to get the iPhone (if it becomes reality) because I assume it will have superior mail/contact/calendar/music synchronization.

However, with PocketMac 4 out for the Pearl, I'm dangerously close to giving it a try.

Don't get your hopes up. It sucks (PocketMac, not the Pearl....the Pearl OWNS!). Read the posts.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:30 PM   #11
ediamond

Pocketmac is clunky at best. The thing about the Missing Sync products is that they are truly Mac centric and work reliably and consitently. Pocketmac is a kludgey solution that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. The sync takes a long time, opens up several separate applications and it often inaccurate. Not to mention that it asks me to confirm each time a deletion occurs. The blackberry is nice but the anxiety surrounding getting a fast accurate sync is making WM5 and Palm OS look better and better.

I think a sync solution that uses Sync services, integrates with .mac and uses syncML woudl go a long way to making BB and Mac users happy.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:22 PM   #12
ibrg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 0000
Carrier: T-Mo

Perhaps with some pressure MarkSpace will be willing to dig into a BB synching solution (providing there's a market for it as in the Treo). Or, if neilr has the time and patience to do it solo...
In any event, I am willing to pay the $40-some for a good product
Old 10-10-2006, 10:56 PM   #13
lkb

Anything would be better than PocketCrap
Old 10-11-2006, 09:45 AM   #14
hughaston

Model: 8120
PIN: CafeBabe
Carrier: R0bber$

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediamond
Pocketmac is clunky at best. [...snip...] The blackberry is nice but the anxiety surrounding getting a fast accurate sync is making WM5 and Palm OS look better and better.

I think a sync solution that uses Sync services, integrates with .mac and uses syncML woudl go a long way to making BB and Mac users happy.
Except that Palm is dropping Mac support. Just google "palm drops mac support". Hey at least RIM is ramping *up* Mac support, yes it sucks now but the direction is at least towards more Mac support, not less.

BTW did you know with the Pearl you can sync your address book straight to your Mac's Address book? Yessir. Its only one way (BB to Mac) but again, its a start.

Not many people could predict the surge in Mac interest we are seeing now 2 years ago - especially with those who would be 1st in line to buy a Pearl. So now its up to RIM to get off their duffs and create a compelling integration.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:16 PM   #15
lkb

Looks like the Pearl supports JSR-82. I can't think it would be too hard to implement some sort of j2me synch app that uses bluetooth and Tiger's sync services. If I get time, I'll start playing around with it. I am sick of waiting for other people to fix their garbage software.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:21 AM   #16
ediamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughaston
Except that Palm is dropping Mac support. Just google "palm drops mac support". Hey at least RIM is ramping *up* Mac support, yes it sucks now but the direction is at least towards more Mac support, not less.
Palm is dropping Mac support becasue the iApps + Missing sync are FAR superior to Palm Desktop. Why shoud they develop for Mac when Markspace not only has a superior product, but supports it?
Old 10-12-2006, 08:55 AM   #17
huilim

Just out of interest has anyone tried the email management system of the new pocketmac. Does it really work? I currently download gmail emails with my MBP on Mail in OS X via pop 3 and have set up my blackberry 8700 to retrieve email from gmail via BIS (Blackberry Internet Service). However, the only problem I suffer now is that when I read a mail from my bb, it doesn't show as read on Mail in OSX (and vice versa) hence forcing me to read duplicate emails. Does the new pocketmac solve this problem by synchronising both the Mail and BB's read and unread mail?
Old 10-12-2006, 09:52 AM   #18
krbmsw

As a long time Palm user, I really don't think that the iApps are better than Palm Desktop. Apple's implementation of separate calendars and address groups as opposed to categories leaves a lot to be desired. The task (to do) management is quite basic, as well. Granted, iCal is a much better looking interface. My move to the Blackberry pushed me into buying Now Up-To-Date because of it's similarity to Palm Desktop with improvements.

Just my two cents.
Closed Thread