BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
LaszloM3

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Blackberry and Parallels!!

Please Login to Remove!

Let me just first say that I just recently picked up my first Pearl. Having switched from the Nokia 6630 with Symbian OS. So far my experience has been great with the Pearl. I am also an avid Mac user as well. With that said, I thought by having Parallels installed I would be in heaven with the Pearl and the Mac. Unfortunately Parallels did not want to cooperate with the Pearl or more the USB portion of Parallels did not want connect. Well I decided to download the newest build (3036 Beta) for Parallels for the MBP and so far works great. The Pearl is recognized through the USB and the desktop manager software runs great. Just did a back up and went smooth with out any glitches. I do know about PocketMac, but wasn't very impressed by it.

Hope this helps some Intel Mac users out there.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
jadedhalo

Carrier: T-Mobile

great, I always had problems before. I'll check this out tonight
Old 12-04-2006, 02:06 AM   #3
molarszbt18

Model: 7130E
Carrier: Verzion

If you didnt know pocket mac has a new version but it is off black berry's site. Its actually integrated with the .mac sync.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
chad5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaszloM3
Let me just first say that I just recently picked up my first Pearl. Having switched from the Nokia 6630 with Symbian OS. So far my experience has been great with the Pearl. I am also an avid Mac user as well. With that said, I thought by having Parallels installed I would be in heaven with the Pearl and the Mac. Unfortunately Parallels did not want to cooperate with the Pearl or more the USB portion of Parallels did not want connect. Well I decided to download the newest build (3036 Beta) for Parallels for the MBP and so far works great. The Pearl is recognized through the USB and the desktop manager software runs great. Just did a back up and went smooth with out any glitches. I do know about PocketMac, but wasn't very impressed by it.

This is huge news. So now once golden, we can...

Use an intelmac, install parallels, and then have full access to Blackberry desktop for back ups and software updates? Is that correct? Has anybody else gotten it to work? I'm slated to get a new intelmac in January right after Macworld.

I'm currently using Pocketmac 4.0 with my 8703e on the sprint network. I ONLY sync, address book and iCal. Only. That way I get consistent syncs without headaches, but long for more and better sync options and desktop BB software management, etc.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
laser

Model: 8703E

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad5
This is huge news. So now once golden, we can...

Use an intelmac, install parallels, and then have full access to Blackberry desktop for back ups and software updates? Is that correct? Has anybody else gotten it to work? I'm slated to get a new intelmac in January right after Macworld.
Well, I assume you need to buy a copy of Windows for around $200 as well.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:42 AM   #6
jonlevine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Well I decided to download the newest build (3036 Beta) for Parallels for the MBP and so far works great.
Las,

Can you tell me where you were able to get the beta build from? I can't find it on their site.

Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind, found it. I should Google before I speak.

Last edited by jonlevine; 12-05-2006 at 11:44 AM..
Old 12-06-2006, 11:07 PM   #7
lococreativo

Model: 8310
PIN: 242d3c68
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks Lazlo,

For the excellent news !!! I was going crazy with my virtual machine not recognizing my bb 7290.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:58 AM   #8
chris1970
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:

I have been fighting with Parallels since its first release. I, too, am running a MacBook Pro and have also installed the 3036 beta release of Parallels. When I plug in my Blackberry Windows recognizes it and then tells me that my device is ready for use. BUT DESKTOP MANAGER STILL WONT SEE IT!!!! What did you do to trick Parallels/Windows to work???? My Blackberry is the 8703e but I can't imagine that it is so different from the Pearl that it won't work with Parallels. Your help is greatly appreciated....
Old 12-07-2006, 08:34 AM   #9
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Sadly PocketMac is still about as ALPHA as the last release in certain area's. While Parallels is a wonderful tool on the USB and COMS port side of the house it still functions somewhat like Virtual PC of old using virtual ports hence the recognition/non-recognition... Hopefully in due time we will see resolve but FWIW I use BootCamp myself for the Windows side of things and all is well when syncing my BB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by molarszbt18
If you didnt know pocket mac has a new version but it is off black berry's site. Its actually integrated with the .mac sync.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:54 AM   #10
ibrg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 0000
Carrier: T-Mo

Quote:
I decided to download the newest build (3036 Beta) for Parallels for the MBP and so far works great.
Got a link to the beta?

Just found it: Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3036 Beta is available for download. - Parallels Support Forum

Last edited by ibrg; 12-07-2006 at 09:21 AM..
Old 12-07-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
schalliol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1970
I have been fighting with Parallels since its first release. I, too, am running a MacBook Pro and have also installed the 3036 beta release of Parallels. When I plug in my Blackberry Windows recognizes it and then tells me that my device is ready for use. BUT DESKTOP MANAGER STILL WONT SEE IT!!!! What did you do to trick Parallels/Windows to work???? My Blackberry is the 8703e but I can't imagine that it is so different from the Pearl that it won't work with Parallels. Your help is greatly appreciated....
I have the new beta of Parallels and I STILL get the "wait 5-10 seconds" message, indicating that the device is being used by another app. I use PocketMac to sync, but I don't think I can update the OS or backup the full device with the newest PocketMac I have. Isn't there a process I can kill on the mac to allow my use of the Windows side?
Old 12-07-2006, 07:00 PM   #12
ibrg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 0000
Carrier: T-Mo

As much as I want to praise Parallels (and it got rave reviews from plenty of users), I am still withholding judgment/verdict on it. For one thing it SLOWS down operating the Mac substantially! At least Boot Camp allows you to operate one-OS-at-a-time in a speedy way.
Grrrrrr...........!

Last edited by ibrg; 12-07-2006 at 07:40 PM..
Old 12-08-2006, 02:19 AM   #13
hiphopreneur

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

Using the new parallels beta I was able to get my 8703 to sync with my intel macbook today!!! I had to pull the usb connector from my laptop & reconnect it after I had parallels running for it to recognize my BB. Hope that helps.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:06 AM   #14
pvantienen

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers
Default MacBook Pro/Parallels and Blackberry

I HAD the exact same issue. The only fix I found that works so far is to install version 4.033 of the Blackberry Desktop Manager. Any newer version for me will not find the device. I would LOVE to run the latest 4.2 Desktop if anyone found a way to make it work.

I am running an 8703 on the Bell Mobility Network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1970
Old 12-09-2006, 08:07 PM   #15
schalliol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

Ok, I got a response from PocketMac regarding the processes PM4 uses to try to kill to allow Parallels to control the BB.

My Message:
Quote:
Could you please tell me the names of the processes PocketMac uses?
I need to boot into Windows through Parallels to run an OS update,
yet PocketMac isn't willing to give up USB control of the device. If
I could temporarily disable PocketMac that will allow me to do what I
need. PM4 doesn't allow for backups and restores, which are
available in the Windows version, which is why I need this.
Response:
Quote:
Thank you for your email regarding the issue you are having with disabling the PocketMac processes.

This is not something that we normally deal with as we only support PocketMac to sync with the BlackBerry Address Book, Calendar, Notes, and Tasks however we have investigated this issue a little further and were able to determine which processes PocketMac uses. Please find the attached Word Document that should outline these processes.
Email Attachment
Quote:
/
/Applications/PocketMac SyncManager/PocketMac SyncManager.app/Contents/MacOS/PocketMac SyncManager
/Applications/PocketMac SyncManager/PocketMac SyncManager.app/Contents/Frameworks/DotMacKit.framework/Versions/A/DotMacKit
/System/Library/CoreServices/CharacterSets/CFUnicodeData-B.mapping
/System/Library/CoreServices/CharacterSets/CFUniCharPropertyDatabase.data
/System/Library/CoreServices/CharacterSets/CFCharacterSetBitmaps.bitmap
/Library/InputManagers/Menu Extra Enabler/Menu Extra Enabler.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Menu Extra Enabler
/System/Library/Fonts/Helvetica.dfont
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras.rsrc
/Users/rimuser/Library/Application Support/PocketMacSyncManager/Plugins/!DotMacPlugin.syncdevice/Contents/MacOS/!DotMacPlugin
/Library/Caches/com.apple.IntlDataCache.sbdl.501
/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices-014501.csstore
/Users/rimuser/Library/Application Support/PocketMacSyncManager/Plugins/BlackBerryPlugin.syncdevice/Contents/MacOS/BlackBerryPlugin
/usr/share/icu/icudt32b.dat
/System/Library/Fonts/LucidaGrande.dfont
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/HIToolbox.rsrc
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc
/Library/Caches/com.apple.IntlDataCache.kbdx.501
/Library/Caches/com.apple.IntlDataCache.kbdx.501
/Applications/PocketMac SyncManager/PocketMac SyncManager.app/Contents/Frameworks/SyncManagerCommon.framework/Versions/A/SyncManagerCommon
/usr/lib/dyld
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreText.framework/Versions/A/CoreText
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Versions/A/ATS
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/CoreGraphics
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation
/usr/lib/libicucore.A.dylib
/usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib
/usr/lib/libstdc++.6.0.4.dylib
/usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit
/usr/lib/libauto.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Versions/A/CarbonCore
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/OSServices.framework/Versions/A/OSServices
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CFNetwork.framework/Versions/A/CFNetwork
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/SearchKit.framework/Versions/A/SearchKit
/System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Versions/A/Security
/System/Library/Frameworks/DiskArbitration.framework/Versions/A/DiskArbitration
/System/Library/Frameworks/SystemConfiguration.framework/Versions/A/SystemConfiguration
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudio
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/AE.framework/Versions/A/AE
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ColorSync.framework/Versions/A/ColorSync
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/PrintCore.framework/Versions/A/PrintCore
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/QD.framework/Versions/A/QD
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIServices.framework/Versions/A/HIServices
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/FindByContent.framework/Versions/A/FindByContent
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/LaunchServices
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO
/usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.7.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libJP2.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libRaw.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libTIFF.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libPng.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libRadiance.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vImage.framework/Versions/A/vImage
/System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/libvMisc.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/libvDSP.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/libBLAS.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/libLAPACK.dylib
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/DesktopServicesPriv
/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation
/usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLU.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Ink.framework/Versions/A/Ink
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/OpenScripting.framework/Versions/A/OpenScripting
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Print.framework/Versions/A/Print
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HTMLRendering.framework/Versions/A/HTMLRendering
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/NavigationServices.framework/Versions/A/NavigationServices
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonSound.framework/Versions/A/CarbonSound
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CommonPanels.framework/Versions/A/CommonPanels
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/HIToolbox
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL
/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreData.framework/Versions/A/CoreData
/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Versions/A/AudioToolbox
/System/Library/Frameworks/QuartzCore.framework/Versions/A/QuartzCore
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLImage.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libCGATS.A.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libCSync.A.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libRIP.A.dylib
/usr/lib/libmx.A.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/AddressBook.framework/Versions/A/AddressBook
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DSObjCWrappers.framework/Versions/A/DSObjCWrappers
/usr/lib/libssl.0.9.7.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/WebKit
/System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptCore
/System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Versions/A/WebCore
/usr/lib/libxslt.1.dylib
/System/Library/CoreServices/Encodings/libJapaneseConverter.dylib
/usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.dylib
/usr/lib/libssl.0.9.dylib
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/LatentSemanticMapping.framework/Versions/A/LatentSemanticMapping
/System/Library/Frameworks/Message.framework/Versions/B/Message
/usr/libexec/oah/translate
/Applications/PocketMac SyncManager/PocketMac SyncManager.app/Contents/Frameworks/DTCVersionManager.framework/Versions/A/DTCVersionManager
/dev/null
/dev/console
/dev/console
apple.shm.notification_center
/tmp/com.apple.csseed.85
apple.shm.notification_center
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras.rsrc
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/HIToolbox.rsrc
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc
I'm not sure that this is helpful...
Old 12-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #16
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvantienen
I HAD the exact same issue. The only fix I found that works so far is to install version 4.033 of the Blackberry Desktop Manager. Any newer version for me will not find the device. I would LOVE to run the latest 4.2 Desktop if anyone found a way to make it work.

I am running an 8703 on the Bell Mobility Network.
Where can you get version 4.033 of the Desktop Manager?
Old 12-16-2006, 09:36 PM   #17
chris1970

Model: 8703e

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofus
Where can you get version 4.033 of the Desktop Manager?
Go to BlackBerry and navigate yourself to the software downloads page. You can get many previous versions there. ---ck
Old 12-21-2006, 10:52 PM   #18
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour

Well I've got a new MB, Parallels and a Verizon 8703e... Just upgraded to the beta. I've figured out that I need to choose auto connect for parallels and I need to connect the BB before running the DM. YET even when I do, do this and get a connection and choose to back up it appears to be starting the back up process but never makes any progress, I let it sit for 15 minutes and nothing! Talk about frustrating I'm going to try and degree to 4.033 and see if that fixes it.