BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
boosting1bar
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular
Default Intel Mac users with Pearls rejoice!! Finally a solution!

Please Login to Remove!

VMWare's latest beta 3 of Fusion, their competitor to Parallels, not only adds support for Boot Camp, but also connects and syncs within the VM. I've posted, and read numerous posts, about folks trying to get their Pearl to connected within Parallels with little luck and no proof from those who said it does. This evening I successfully connected and sync'd my Pearl both within my Boot Camp partition VM and another VM created by Fusion. As an added bonus Fusion is much faster and smoother operating than Parallels as it utilizes both cores of the processor.

And for what it's worth, I have no affiliation whatsoever with VMWare....I'm just really excited I finally found a solution that works! The best part about it? Fusion is still a free download as it's in beta! Here's a screenshot of it connected.

Last edited by boosting1bar; 04-06-2007 at 08:56 PM..
Old 04-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
sickchilly
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: 20CFA98A
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to try it now.

I can offer proof that I got it to work in parallels... sort of. But it's extremely buggy and freezes the whole computer hard and often.

The trick to getting parallels to work is to have the PocketMac or MissingSync kernel extensions loaded. Then it takes several attempts to get parallels to grab the BB device and for Desktop Manager to recognize it has been grabbed.

Even after I get Desktop Manager connected, sometimes it itself locks up when attempting to sync, transfer media or install apps.

So I hope VM Ware works much better because even though I can get paralells to work, I don't want to mess with it any more!
Old 04-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #3
boosting1bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickchilly
Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to try it now.

I can offer proof that I got it to work in parallels... sort of. But it's extremely buggy and freezes the whole computer hard and often.

The trick to getting parallels to work is to have the PocketMac or MissingSync kernel extensions loaded. Then it takes several attempts to get parallels to grab the BB device and for Desktop Manager to recognize it has been grabbed.

Even after I get Desktop Manager connected, sometimes it itself locks up when attempting to sync, transfer media or install apps.

So I hope VM Ware works much better because even though I can get paralells to work, I don't want to mess with it any more!
Yeah with Parallels mine would occasionally connect momentarily and then either lock the machine up or just drop the connection and not pick it back up without a restart. I haven't had any problems at all with Fusion thankfully! Plug it in and it recognizes and syncs everytime! I have a couple apps that take a while to sync, but they behave the same when when in Windows natively. I couldn't be happier!
Old 04-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #4
dwdmguy@optonline.net

Model: 8703

I don't understand why anyone would want to use Windoze just to use their BB. If your a mac user, don't you simply want to keep using your iCal and addres book etc...? Not flameing, just want to understand....
Old 04-08-2007, 03:57 AM   #5
boosting1bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdmguy@optonline.net
I don't understand why anyone would want to use Windoze just to use their BB. If your a mac user, don't you simply want to keep using your iCal and addres book etc...? Not flameing, just want to understand....
Because there's no other way to load applications. Pocketmac never loads apps and you can't update the phone OS. If you want to use desktop manager, you've got to use Windows, and some of the apps I use require DM for sync.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:19 AM   #6
MrBibidy

Model: 8707g
Carrier: Optus

Thats an awesome solution, but I am more flippin' interrested in your customized OSX look How'd you go about getting it to look that way?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:28 AM   #7
mindbodysoul114

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

HELP!!
I have parallels, which I have installed desktop manager. The problem for me is when I plug my blackberry into the usb port a error comes up saying, the device that I have plugged in can not load due to another application in use using that path. Please try to manually disconnect the app in use. I have run misconfig to look for other apps that could be blocking the bb. Has anyone had this happen to them? If so how did you fix? I really haven't installed any apps on my macbook in parallels. The only reason I am trying to use desktop manager on parallels is to load apps onto my bb, since this can not be done with pocketmac. Thanks for any help!!!
Old 04-08-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
boosting1bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbodysoul114
HELP!!
I have parallels, which I have installed desktop manager. The problem for me is when I plug my blackberry into the usb port a error comes up saying, the device that I have plugged in can not load due to another application in use using that path. Please try to manually disconnect the app in use. I have run misconfig to look for other apps that could be blocking the bb. Has anyone had this happen to them? If so how did you fix? I really haven't installed any apps on my macbook in parallels. The only reason I am trying to use desktop manager on parallels is to load apps onto my bb, since this can not be done with pocketmac. Thanks for any help!!!
I never was able to get it to work in Parallels, I suggest you download Fusion and try it!
Old 04-08-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
boosting1bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBibidy
Thats an awesome solution, but I am more flippin' interrested in your customized OSX look How'd you go about getting it to look that way?
Which part? Post here or feel free to PM or IM (boosting1bar on AIM) and I'll help you out.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:33 PM   #10
mindbodysoul114

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks Boosting1bar! I am going to download Fusion..will let you know the outcome
Old 04-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #11
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

yeah how did you get your icons looking like that and the bar colors. I have tiger and it definately doesnt look like that.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:28 PM   #12
boosting1bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54
yeah how did you get your icons looking like that and the bar colors. I have tiger and it definately doesnt look like that.
This is a copy&paste of my answer to the PMs I received about it. If something isn't clear just lemme know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1B
I use Shapeshifter with the 7 Normal theme (has 3 variants). Then I use Candybar to change the icons on the dock and the drive icons. All the icons came from InterfaceLIFT. I think those are the only things that are changed. The Adium skin is set to Decay 2.0 for the color theme, Concise for the list layout, and Contact Bubbles for the window style. Opacity is at 60% and it sizes to fit vertically.

I think that's everything, give those a try and if something doesn't come out right let me know and I'll see if I can't figure out what I forgot!
Old 04-09-2007, 06:03 AM   #13
Hidea

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

A good alternative (and a more 'finished') to VMWare's Fusion, is Parallels Desktop.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:14 AM   #14
boosting1bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidea
A good alternative (and a more 'finished') to VMWare's Fusion, is Parallels Desktop.
Yeah, I mentioned Parallels right there in the original post. And I'm not sure how it's more "finished" since it offers no advantages over Fusion. In fact, like mentioned in the original post, connecting and sync'ing a blackberry doesn't work for most people, it only utilizes one core whereas Fusion uses both, and Fusion is still free........those are disadvantages for Parallels in my opinion. Also I've never had Fusion lock up or crash while trying to connect a blackberry as Parallels still does despite not being in beta in more.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:07 AM   #15
jdoom
Thumbs Must Hurt

I bought Parallels for other reasons and realized that you actually run Windows on the Mac, also inviting all of the negative security issues that come along with it. If you want to run Windows buy a PC. We all need to be patient as RIM gets its act together.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:50 PM   #16
boosting1bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoom View Post
I bought Parallels for other reasons and realized that you actually run Windows on the Mac, also inviting all of the negative security issues that come along with it. If you want to run Windows buy a PC. We all need to be patient as RIM gets its act together.
So I should just not sync my Blackberry or put any new applications on it until RIM decides that the Mac market is big enough to develop a reasonable solution? That's probably the dumbest reasoning I've heard thus far for not using Parallels or Fusion. If you're that concerned about the security risks of using Windows and don't know the appropriate ways to protect yourself you should just live in a shed in the woods with a tinfoil hat on.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:04 AM   #17
jonlevine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

I have to chime in here and say that, after reading this thread, I downloaded Fusion to give it a try (I have been using Parallels both at home and at work since its inception). I am blown away with how much better Fusion is than Parallels!

Parallels, while a good solution that works as advertised, was always so kludgey to me. It started up slow, took forever to get to a usable Windows desktop, and most detrimental, killed the rest of my system. Heaven forbid I wanted to do something outside of Parallels while it was running. The rest of my system would grind to a near halt.

At first, I thought this was just a result of my Mac Mini at work. Though a good Mac, it's not a powerhouse. But, after installing Parallels at home on my new 24" iMac, I found the results were the same.

Yesterday, I installed the Fusion beta on my Mini and couldn't believe the results. It booted as fast as a dedicated Windows machine and, most importantly, had about as much of an effect on the rest of my system as running Apple Mail! Even better, my BlackBerry connects beautifully and I had no trouble backing it up and installing software. I can't wait to get home tonight and install this on my iMac.

If you're a Mac user, which I would assume you are because you're reading this section, install Fusion, you won't be disappointed. I guess my $59 for the Parallels license is down the drain, but it's well worth it!
Old 04-13-2007, 11:39 AM   #18
jdoom
Thumbs Must Hurt

My pearl syncs at 70%, I sync contacts, calendar events (less alarms), and tasks (less alarms and times). So for my needs it is a so-so solution and worth waiting for RIM to get a real solution
Old 04-14-2007, 12:33 PM   #19
vistate

Model: 7130
Carrier: bell

i'll confirm works perfectly with my 7130!!!

fabulous find!
Old 04-18-2007, 06:54 PM   #20
loosechange

Model: 8100
Default data leak is kicking in

Just lost my call logs and some emails today :/ I've got vmware's fusion up and running, and it seems to be doing fine, although I'm having trouble getting xp to recognize my 8100. Sometimes I can access the transflash through xp via usb, but when I try to run the BB sw it says it can't find the phone? Any suggestions? Also, what's the easiest way to transfer files between osx and xp? I have sw updates, themes, and the likes on my mac, and I'm not planning on using an internet connection with xp. Thanks.
Closed Thread