BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 03:57 PM   #1
jkintner

Model: 7230
Default ALRT log file growing too large

Please Login to Remove!

I hope this hasn't been asked before. I wasn't able to find it by searching.

I have a BES 4.0 SP2 server that is filling a 30gig drive with the ALRT log file in a little over 24 hours. I have just set this up, and it only has two users on it right now, but the alrt log just continues to grow. Infact, it has grown by about a gig in the last hour.

I have checked the blackberry server configuration utility and set a cap on the max size for the rest of the logs, but I didn't not see an option for the ALRT log.

My current configuration is: Windows 2000 server running BES 4.0.2.12 (sp2) on a domino 6.5.4 messaging server.

any suggestions?
Old 09-20-2005, 08:18 AM   #2
BesDominoAdmin

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

I am having the exact similar problem. The logs that is causing the the problem is ALTR which is recorded by the "Blackberry Alert" service. Using the "Max log size" I was able to limit the log size for all the services except this "BB alert service" which is not an option in the BB server configuration utility.

This Started happening after the SP2 upgrade...

To prevent the server from going down I had to stop the the BESAlert service & set it to manual. This service just monitors the Windows event log to alert designated admins on the BES.

Bringing the BB-Alert service does not effect the e-mail delivery so it should be transparent to the users ..Phew!!!!

Will update if I have a solution from RIM
Old 09-20-2005, 10:14 AM   #3
BesDominoAdmin

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

OK...here we go guys...RIM has fixed quite a few issues on BES 4.0 SP2 but the above issue discussed is a known issue now BECAUSE OF SP2, doesn't that sound familiar..

A very good soul at Rogers Advanced techincal support had assisted me and...
HURRAY!!! We have an official SDR for this issue "SDR55267"
(by the way an SDR with RIM is like a Master Trouble Ticket number for a known issue)

Temporary Work Around:
Here is a work around for the time period for the BES Alert service. Save the application event log for your reference and clear the application event log and restart the BES Alert service...

My advice please monitor the size of the "ALRT" log file after you restart the "Blackberry Alert" Service, if it does not increase then we have a "Workaround" but by no means a solution...will post any updates that i get.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:23 AM   #4
felafel

Model: 8707
Carrier: O2

Any news on a fix. I have had to disable the Alert service too. Support said an SP3 was due out, but there's no sign of it!

Domino 6.5.3, BES 4.0.2.12(SP2), Win2KSP4
Old 01-17-2006, 01:31 PM   #5
BES admin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

I experienced this particular issue after I installed the Resource kit. I installed the BlackBerry User Administration Service as part of the installation of the RK.

I noted the next day that the ALRT log grew Huge, for only having 30 users. It was 4gb per day. Normally it HAD been no larger than 15k.

I disabled the BlackBerry User Administration Service, cleared the Application log (after saving it off somewhere) and REBOOTED.

After reboot the ALRT log remained small, 2k - 8k, so I re-enabled the BlackBerry User Administration Service and all has been well for a few days.

I do not know if the BlackBerry User Administration Service had anything to do with the ALRT log. I am not sure what was wrong, but I know what fixed it.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:18 PM   #6
nsmith_62
Knows Where the Search Button Is

We have the same issue - looking at the ALRT logfile - it seem to re-read the windows application log from the beginning > if you check your alrt logs they refer to old blackberry related events, not sure why it does this and if anyone has a proper fix (other than clearing down the event log) please let me know!
thanks
neil
Old 02-08-2006, 12:30 PM   #7
nsmith_62

btw - we are on BES sp3 hotfix 1
Old 02-08-2006, 04:49 PM   #8
rta53

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmith_62
We have the same issue - looking at the ALRT logfile - it seem to re-read the windows application log from the beginning > if you check your alrt logs they refer to old blackberry related events, not sure why it does this and if anyone has a proper fix (other than clearing down the event log) please let me know!
thanks
neil
Glad to know I'm not the only one having this issue. I had started a new thread about this before this one got bumped up. I ended up changing the ALRT debuglog value in the registry.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:52 AM   #9
nsmith_62

OK, is that HKLM\software\research in motion\blackberry enterprise server\logging info\blackberry alert\debugloglevel ?
I notice there's also debuglogsize key in there too, and i'm wondering what the other keys (eventloglevel etc) can do.....
Old 02-09-2006, 05:40 AM   #10
rta53

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
OK, is that HKLM\software\research in motion\blackberry enterprise server\logging info\blackberry alert\debugloglevel ?
That is correct. So far the only effect I have seen is that it just stops the service.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:47 PM   #11
BES admin

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

Quote:
thanks
neil
I noticed at 3am this morning we had some issues with our server, and one of those issues was the ALRT log file again.

It began growing about 10mb per hour. Normally, we see less than 1mb per day.

reading the above quoted post, I noticed the same result: The log files reflected data that was being read and re-read from the Application log on the BB server.

I decided to try the following and the result was that in 4 hours, I have an ALRT log file that is only 8k... HUGE improvement!

1. Stop the Blackberry Alert Service
2. Save the Application log on the BB server(s) and clear the Application log.
3. Rename the ALRT log file to <*_ALRT_*>.old
4. Start the Blackberry Alert service

This is what worked for me. Anything you do to your server(s) is ultimately your responsibility. Please follow the policies and proceedures set forth by your business when resolving any issue.

Good luck