Old 01-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
chris280
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 22752F88
Carrier: AT&T
Default Travelling to Other Countries

Please Login to Remove!

I am travelling to several places this summer and want to take my " World Phone " Blackberry 9700 with me. The problem is that I dont want to keep it in my suitcase nor do I want to mortgage my house when I return to pay my cell phone bill. What is the best way to stay connected while on vacation? Is Wi-fi going to be " Free " can I get my texts through Wi-fi? any advice is helpful to keep AT&T from owning my home. Thanks
Old 01-29-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Get one of the global data plan.

AT&T International - Wireless from AT&T
Old 01-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
davidA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

I would advise to get your blackberry unlocked and to purchase a few SIM cards. (or an international SIM card) - the alternative is to purchase a cheap unlocked (older) Blackberry or cell phone. If you do this you will need to give out your new phone number.

UK SIM card from 0044
Old 02-01-2010, 02:26 AM   #4
andrej770
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Get T-Mobile 9700 it uses UMA (wifi = free calls from anywhere)

If you get a T-Mobile BB 8900 or 9700 it uses UMA which means if you are near a wifi connection and connect, you can call anyone in the states for free no matter where you are in the world. Which means if you want to call someone in the country you are in or going to, you will be calling from your cell as if you are in the US, so get a calling card and find all the wifi spots. Way cheaper than signing up for AT&T.

Many people say, What if you don't have wifi, well make sure you have an internet connection in your hotel or room, and bring a portable wireless router with you. True you may not get to make calls outside of your room (if you can't find reliable wifi) but at least you have a way to call and at a lower cost.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
mi_canuck
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: UMA, Unlocked
Carrier: T-Mobile US

@OP - call your carrier and say you want to travel abroad and use a local SIM - they will give you the unlock code (they have to, by law) - it might take a few days, but do it now, prior to your trip...
Old 02-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #6
Mandel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9981
Carrier: Orange FR & Etisalat AE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris280 View Post
I am travelling to several places this summer and want to take my " World Phone " Blackberry 9700 with me. The problem is that I dont want to keep it in my suitcase nor do I want to mortgage my house when I return to pay my cell phone bill. What is the best way to stay connected while on vacation? Is Wi-fi going to be " Free " can I get my texts through Wi-fi? any advice is helpful to keep AT&T from owning my home. Thanks
By taking separate sim cards in the countries you visit it will not allow you to still have your mail, or BBM, or any data. You'll get voice only (very rare exceptions allow pre-paid to get data service).

I travel at least half of the month internationally. My discipline is to switch off voice when in my hotel room where I usually have wi-fi and at work. As long as I have wi-fi (and the wi-fi icon is white), then I can do email, BBM, and surf the web all FOC.

When in non wi-fi areas, I switch back mobile service and try to remain "disciplined" and do not get on the web, or do too many data intensive work. -- simple emails and BBM usually are not data hungry.

If you still elect to buy local sim cards, you should try to use another terminal for this purpose so that your data continues to flow into your 9700.

Last edited by Mandel; 02-01-2010 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 02-02-2010, 07:27 AM   #7
mi_canuck
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: UMA, Unlocked
Carrier: T-Mobile US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandel View Post
By taking separate sim cards in the countries you visit it will not allow you to still have your mail, or BBM, or any data. You'll get voice only (very rare exceptions allow pre-paid to get data service).

I travel at least half of the month internationally. My discipline is to switch off voice when in my hotel room where I usually have wi-fi and at work. As long as I have wi-fi (and the wi-fi icon is white), then I can do email, BBM, and surf the web all FOC.

When in non wi-fi areas, I switch back mobile service and try to remain "disciplined" and do not get on the web, or do too many data intensive work. -- simple emails and BBM usually are not data hungry.

If you still elect to buy local sim cards, you should try to use another terminal for this purpose so that your data continues to flow into your 9700.
there has to be local SIM cards that provide BIS service, no ?
Old 02-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
cychan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: China Mobile

The cost of international Roaming can separated into two main section. Voice and data. I travel a lot and International Roaming is killing me all the time. I normally use an iphone while I am at my home network which I have unlimited data and voice plan. So no issues at all. Once I am traveling outside of my home network. It will kill you if you still try to use an iPhone service. Why.

Voice is expensive. I rather buy a local SIM and forward my home number to the local SIM. Data, whether it is GPRS or 3.5G, the roaming data charge in any country just kill you. This is the time I use the BB as a roaming devices. The reason, I can buy a local SIM card for the voice and save some money. However, if I use the local sim cards for data just to receive email only. An iphone or any pop base device will still kill you since any pop base or iphone devices use at least 64K overhead for one single mail. but if you use your BB as a mail receiver, BB only use 1K overhead. ( Turn off HTML and use Text only and don't download attachment) even it is on a roaming network. The data cost will not kill you since the overhead is low. in this way. You paid the same data charge but less overhead and still get your mail.

Of course, you will need to carry 2 phones, one for Voice using local SIM and one BB as roaming device

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris280 View Post
Old 02-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
davidA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi_canuck View Post
there has to be local SIM cards that provide BIS service, no ?
Orange will give you access to BIS (on PAYG) in the UK.

Orange UK prepaid SIM card for England
Old 02-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidA View Post
Orange will give you access to BIS (on PAYG) in the UK.

Orange UK prepaid SIM card for England
Very rarely. And very new. Pre-paid data plans just started appearing abroad in like 3 -4 countries.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #11
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

cychan -
You know they have a mac app finally now right?

Last edited by scaevola; 02-03-2010 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: clarity
Closed Thread