Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 12:13 AM   #1
dc2610
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Trackball will not scroll up

Please Login to Remove!

Before I cleaned it for the first time it wouldn't scroll down. So I cleaned it. Now it won't scroll up. I did a search and found all kinds of info on how to fix a broken trackball. I tried it all. I blew on it, cleaned it with qtips and alcohol then dried it, did a battery pull. Nothing works. And the voice dialing recorder thing keeps coming on when I play music and saying "say a command" over and over again.

Perhaps the phone is kaputz. Does anyone have any other suggestions besides "do a search"? Appreciate any help. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:24 AM   #2
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

If you didn't get it too wet and fry things you might want to try depressing the trackball and rolling it the direction it will not work at the same time. Depress it and roll it back and forth. It should dislodge anything thats keeping it from responding.

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 08-06-2007, 09:33 AM   #3
YMark
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I had the same issue and tried all the things you've tried. I ended up getting a replacement from TMO.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #4
AZBanger

PIN: N/A

I had this problem too, but it happened before I actually cleaned the trackball.

I guess going "All-in" so often on Texas-Hold 'Em using the upward motion of the trackball got to be too much for the little pearl.

I cleaned it with alcohol and a q-tip... put it back together... works like new.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
ROBERTDAWG014

its weird how the scroll will work one way but not the other. and how a piece of dust can ruin everything. it kind of like a pebble and a skate board, they'll stop you in no time flat.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #6
missp0haii

Carrier: tmobile
Angry

i have that same problem except my trackball wont scroll down! this is not the first time this has happend to me, but its the first time i cant get it to work. idk what to do. when i text or email or its stuck on multitap so it takes forever! i cant go to my address book or anything like that. its sooooo irritating!

"evil companionship corrupts good morals"
Old 08-08-2007, 02:28 AM   #7
dc2610

Carrier: t-mobile

I already called tmo and asked for a replacement. They gave me a choice of getting another BB or the dash. Seriously considered the dash just because it doesn't have a trackball.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:16 PM   #8
missp0haii

Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2610 View Post
Before I cleaned it for the first time it wouldn't scroll down. So I cleaned it. Now it won't scroll up. I did a search and found all kinds of info on how to fix a broken trackball. I tried it all. I blew on it, cleaned it with qtips and alcohol then dried it, did a battery pull. Nothing works. And the voice dialing recorder thing keeps coming on when I play music and saying "say a command" over and over again.

Perhaps the phone is kaputz. Does anyone have any other suggestions besides "do a search"? Appreciate any help. Thanks.
you should take the trackball out... i had the same problem so i took my trackball out & sure enough there was lint, dust, & sand stuck to the magnetic strip that makes the trackball go up, down, & side to side.

"evil companionship corrupts good morals"
Old 08-08-2007, 09:37 PM   #9
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

It is easy to take out?
Old 08-09-2007, 05:55 PM   #10
NOBLE818

Carrier: T-MOBILE

I have the same problem with mine time to time. One minutes it working great and then the next minute it won't scroll in one directions. I blow on it and it will work fine for a lil bit but then it stop working. Most of the time it works fine but those few times that it stops working is frustrating!
Old 08-17-2007, 08:19 PM   #11
andrewconrad

Carrier: cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
It is easy to take out?
same question here - is there a simple couple steps to remove and clean?
Old 08-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #12
Jumpin_Joe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewconrad View Post
same question here - is there a simple couple steps to remove and clean?
Yes, I tried this for the first time this evening and it worked just fine: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...eassembly.html
Old 08-19-2007, 07:40 PM   #13
Jumpin_Joe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2610 View Post
Before I cleaned it for the first time it wouldn't scroll down. So I cleaned it. Now it won't scroll up. I did a search and found all kinds of info on how to fix a broken trackball. I tried it all. I blew on it, cleaned it with qtips and alcohol then dried it, did a battery pull. Nothing works.
I just returned from an overseas trip. 1/4 of the way thru my trip I could not scroll to the right. I was able to hobble along nonetheless.

So tonight I came home, followed all of these directions and it still did not work.

It would seem that the upper right magnet (e.g. If looking at the keyboard the 5 is the center, the number 3 is the problem magnet) does not work - even if I flip the trackball mechanism 180 degrees. If I do the flip, I cannot scroll to the left.

What gives? Any ideas? Do I need to buy a new trackball?

My BB is less than 1 year old. Does TMO give me the replacement or RIM?

UPDATE / EDIT: As no one has replied, I'll follow up with my own comments. I asked the BB administrator at work. She gave me an old Cingular BB, I swapped out the trackball and my TMO BB works just fine! Moral of the story is that when of those four magnets stops working (and, yes, it was clean and appeared to turn), your trackball component needs replacing.

Last edited by Jumpin_Joe; 08-20-2007 at 04:46 PM..
Closed Thread