Old 06-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob
Default tmob overseas travel questions

Please Login to Remove!

i think i've done enough research to set myself up for a trip to europe and be able to get my emails directly to the phone....

i want to keep my phone ON all the time to receive/send email while in europe, so i will need to add the Blackberry Unlimited International Email package.

i have checked with tmob on 3 occassions to figure out exactly what is charged and what is not charged. despite not wanting to use the phone for voice overseas, they verified that when the phone is on and a call is coming thru, whether i pick it up or not, my account will get charged the going rate of 1.50/min. that's because they still have to pipe the call thru the roaming carrier's towers.

what i want to do:

how do i have every phone call made to my phone route DIRECTLY to my Youmail voicemail ? if there is a way to route the calls directly there, then my phone doesn't need to ring. i might still need to make an outbound call, but for the most part, i want to forward all calls to youmail before they are sent to the phone....

there is a setting under Phone/Options called Call Forwarding. if I set it to Forward All Calls to my youmail number, will that get me what i'm looking to do ?

Last edited by zero7404; 06-18-2009 at 05:01 PM..
Old 06-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

yup that should do it.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 06-18-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
monkeypaw

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Edit: Oops, noticed you found the forwarding setting already.

This should be done while in the US since it changes a setting on the network.

Some people say this doesn't make a difference in terms of the charge, but others say it does. When set, on the 8320 at least there is a faint phone handset that shows on the screen when called. So although the call goes straight to voicemail, there's some signal between the network and the phone.

One thing that may work is turn off "WorldClass International Service" and leave the BlackBerry "Unlimited International E-mail" on. Not sure if those are mutually exclusive or if that's possible. If so, it would cut the phone service off so there's no chance of the roaming charge.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
zero7404

thanks ppl for the info....

so, i must specify forwarding while in the US, because the phone pings the network to tell it to send my calls elsewhere, correct ?

i have World Class International Service selected for my add-ons, if I deselect it, would this more or less guarantee that my calls aren't getting forwarded ? i figure since i have youmail, i don't really need the phone line to call in to the states for anything....because i have internet overseas, i can check my voicemail from the site directly.

that way, i can leave the sim in the phone and leave the phone on to work with email only....
Old 06-25-2009, 04:14 AM   #5
zero7404

Wirelessly posted (9530)

So far...roaming in Greece has been mostly 3G on the device.
I am getting my emails fine, and tmob says receiving sms and mms while abroad just deducts from my plan...but sending costs 35 cents
I still have a little radio instability (similar to edge/EDGE) only with 3G...
When data is available a blackberry-like symbol appears to the right of the 3G symbol.
Also call forwarding and youmail email notification just can't be beat if you don't like the idea of paying 1.50 to watch ur fone ring...
Old 06-28-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
sjsilverman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile & China Mobile

As a frequent overseas traveler, I have found that it doesn't matter when or where I have turned on "Forward All Calls". If it is on, I don't get charged for calls, if it is off, I do. The thing to do is to forward all calls to Youmail. Enable International BB email. If you need to make a call, make it...you will be charged the international rate UNLESS, you are making it over UMA, in which case you won't be charged anything. Usually, I turn off my wireless antenna completely, and set my BB to "Wifi Only". Of course, this only works if you (a) have access to a wifi signal, and (b) don't need to get emails and text messages all the time.
Closed Thread