BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 08:42 AM   #1
chinatti
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Default Verizon BIS with multiple acccounts (setting FROM)

Please Login to Remove!

Hi forum,

I'm currently considering getting a new device - I am interested in accessing both my work and home emails. Home is Yahoo Mail Plus, and Work is Postfix with Courier IMAP/POP3. When I looked into BB devices a while ago, I ruled them out because I couldn't get the selectable "From:" feature to allow me to send emails from different accounts. Checking back in with the forum now, it appears that Verizon has updated their server software, and now you can select the "From" address when you send emails to any of your various accounts.

Can anyone confirm that this feature is now available with Verizon? Are there any issues or things to be aware of with this? I definitely want the selectable "From" versus setting the "Reply-To" (with the VZW address).

How well does Verizon BIS integrate with Yahoo Mail Plus? Is the recommended configuration using POP3? How quickly does the email get delivered?

How about for my work email account. Would POP3 or IMAP or forwarding be recommended?

Any other words of wisdom? I had been holding out to get a Treo 700w (without camera - I can't have a camera at work), but my impression was that the BB devices seem to "just work" whereas the Treos are a little more whiz-bang, but less reliable. The multiple account issue had been holding me up before, but if that's not an issue, then I may take the plunge and get the 7130e...

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:54 AM   #2
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

I think the first thing you should do is search for threads with the name BIS 2.0 and review those. I also have a page on gmail/yahoo at my tips site that talks about BIS 2.0. Right now the big downside is that it doesn't support sub-folders. I am not on it so someone else can confirm, but I think it does use a From and Reply to based on the source of the email. Not sure you can change those on an email by email basis.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:17 AM   #3
chinatti
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Thanks - your yahoo/gmail tips link was very useful.

I have searched the forum(s), and did a bunch of reading, but I've seen some conflicting info about the machanism for which account to send from (whether it sets different "From:" addresses or sets the "Reply-To:"). It's probably just my confusion, but I was hoping someone using BIS on VZW could confirm this for me....
Old 05-01-2006, 09:41 AM   #4
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatti
Thanks - your yahoo/gmail tips link was very useful.

I have searched the forum(s), and did a bunch of reading, but I've seen some conflicting info about the machanism for which account to send from (whether it sets different "From:" addresses or sets the "Reply-To:"). It's probably just my confusion, but I was hoping someone using BIS on VZW could confirm this for me....
Remote email accounts configured on the BIS 2.0 will allow you to send/reply using the actual email address of that remote account. There's is no need to set a Reply-To. However, for the [email address] address you can set a Reply-To on the BIS. Yahoo email configured on the BIS will deliver in real time. Other email accounts (POP or IMAP) will be polled and delivered up-to-15-minutes. IMAP accounts with a Sent and Trash folder will get a copy of sent email from the blackberry when managed on the BB. As mentioned by Stinsonddog, sub-folders cannot be seen/managed on the BB (includes filing of messages on the BB). Hopefully RIM will change this after all the BIS updates are completed.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:56 PM   #5
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Again just to confirm, if I get an email from say my comcast.net account and do a reply both the from and reply to will be comcast. What if I want to change that for that particular reply. Please confirm that I can't do that? Or can I still use bbReply and change the reply to but not the from address?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
Remote email accounts configured on the BIS 2.0 will allow you to send/reply using the actual email address of that remote account. There's is no need to set a Reply-To. However, for the [email address] address you can set a Reply-To on the BIS. Yahoo email configured on the BIS will deliver in real time. Other email accounts (POP or IMAP) will be polled and delivered up-to-15-minutes. IMAP accounts with a Sent and Trash folder will get a copy of sent email from the blackberry when managed on the BB. As mentioned by Stinsonddog, sub-folders cannot be seen/managed on the BB (includes filing of messages on the BB). Hopefully RIM will change this after all the BIS updates are completed.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Again just to confirm, if I get an email from say my comcast.net account and do a reply both the from and reply to will be comcast. What if I want to change that for that particular reply. Please confirm that I can't do that? Or can I still use bbReply and change the reply to but not the from address?
In your example, the email that the BIS picked up from comcast.net and delivered to your BB - when replying it will have the From as the comcast.net - no need for a Reply-To.

When you reply you CANNOT set the reply to be any of the configured email accounts you have on the BIS. Since I don't use BBReply, I cannot confirm it will work, but it should. Remember in the BIS, you can apply a Reply-To for any of the accounts configured (hence the Reply-To header).
Old 05-01-2006, 03:16 PM   #7
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

Stinsonddog, i unistalled the bbreply so I do not know if that will work (though I doubt it). I tested changing the reply to by using a different account of the several I have set up in BIS and though it sent the message out it was delivered with a reply to that showed the same address. You can change it in the BIS as a different reply to than the actual account and that will become the standard for that account (and you can do the same with all accounts) but you cannot do it on the fly. If someone has not answered by the end of business today about this, give me a PIN and I will install again and test to be sure but I have a strong feeling that it wont.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 05-01-2006, 03:22 PM   #8
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
Stinsonddog, i unistalled the bbreply so I do not know if that will work (though I doubt it). I tested changing the reply to by using a different account of the several I have set up in BIS and though it sent the message out it was delivered with a reply to that showed the same address. You can change it in the BIS as a different reply to than the actual account and that will become the standard for that account (and you can do the same with all accounts) but you cannot do it on the fly. If someone has not answered by the end of business today about this, give me a PIN and I will install again and test to be sure but I have a strong feeling that it wont.
KonTiki,

Did you convert to the new VZW BIS? Give me the link to BBreply and I will install on my 7130 to check.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:33 PM   #9
sparky_dfw_tx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW

I am not sure if this will help, but on VZW, if I get an e-mail in from my Yahoo account and I reply to that e-mail, my only option for a From or Reply To is the Yahoo address.

If I am composing a new e-mail, I have the option of sending it from any of the accounts configured in BIS, or I can use my vzw.blackberry.net address.

Speaking of the vzw.blackberry.net address, I have the Reply To address as my corporate address (my corporate e-mail is forwarded to this address as we do not have BES). Whenever I send a new e-mail or respond to an e-mail received at this address it always comes through to the recipient with a Sent From address as my corporate address, not as my vzw.blackberry.net address with a Reply To my corporate address on the e-mail.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:35 PM   #10
KonTiki

Quote:
KonTiki,

Did you convert to the new VZW BIS? Give me the link to BBreply and I will install on my 7130 to check.
Yes I converted to BIS and here is the link to BBreply:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...hlight=BBreply

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 05-01-2006, 03:39 PM   #11
whsbuss

Quote:
Yes I converted to BIS and here is the link to BBreply:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...hlight=BBreply
Thanks.

I installed BBReply 1.1 and setup an email reply to address within it. But, regardless of what email account (BB address or remote configured) I never see the menu to apply a different Reply-To address. Its been quite a while since I used BBReply but from what I can tell, the new BIS does not permit using it as before. Can anyone else confirm?
Old 05-01-2006, 03:40 PM   #12
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky_dfw_tx
I am not sure if this will help, but on VZW, if I get an e-mail in from my Yahoo account and I reply to that e-mail, my only option for a From or Reply To is the Yahoo address.

If I am composing a new e-mail, I have the option of sending it from any of the accounts configured in BIS, or I can use my vzw.blackberry.net address.

Speaking of the vzw.blackberry.net address, I have the Reply To address as my corporate address (my corporate e-mail is forwarded to this address as we do not have BES). Whenever I send a new e-mail or respond to an e-mail received at this address it always comes through to the recipient with a Sent From address as my corporate address, not as my vzw.blackberry.net address with a Reply To my corporate address on the e-mail.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. Yes that is how I've seen the new BIS deal with the BB email address.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #13
whsbuss

Default BBReply update

OK, I had to reboot (pull the battery) on my 7130 to get BBReply to display the "Set ReplyTo" in the message menu. When I reply to an email sent to one of my IMAP accounts configured on the BIS and set the ReplyTo, I get a dialog that says "Message is not using Web Client Service. Set ReplyTo will not work."

Looking at the header on the BB for that message, it does show the Reply-To header being set. However, when I look at the Sent reply (copy placed in the Sent folder on my IMAP account) the Reply-To header shows the email address of the configured account.

So I can confirm that BBReply DOES NOT operate as before in the new BIS environment.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #14
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Quote:
OK, I had to reboot (pull the battery) on my 7130 to get BBReply to display the "Set ReplyTo" in the message menu. When I reply to an email sent to one of my IMAP accounts configured on the BIS and set the ReplyTo, I get a dialog that says "Message is not using Web Client Service. Set ReplyTo will not work."

Looking at the header on the BB for that message, it does show the Reply-To header being set. However, when I look at the Sent reply (copy placed in the Sent folder on my IMAP account) the Reply-To header shows the email address of the configured account.

So I can confirm that BBReply DOES NOT operate as before in the new BIS environment.
When you tested this did you leave the reply to address blank on the BI
S. I think that is how it had to be done previously.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:11 PM   #15
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
When you tested this did you leave the reply to address blank on the BI
S. I think that is how it had to be done previously.
On the new BIS only the [email address] account has an editable Reply-To field. I did not try that account as its my primary account and configured for my work stuff. Maybe someone can try it.

What concerns me is the dialog stating BBReply cannot set the reply-to because its not the Web Client Service. The new BIS does not use the web client.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #16
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Quote:
On the new BIS only the [email address] account has an editable Reply-To field. I did not try that account as its my primary account and configured for my work stuff. Maybe someone can try it.

What concerns me is the dialog stating BBReply cannot set the reply-to because its not the Web Client Service. The new BIS does not use the web client.
So maybe it's not functional and the you can't change the fields on reply to messages. Or maybe you would have to leave the reply to field emply on the [email address] to make it work.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:24 PM   #17
KonTiki

Quote:

I tried the blackberry primary account as you described since it is indeed the only one that you can do that with and it does not let you change it. It Imported whatever was in the old BWC and set it and it cant be changed you get an error message when you try to change, it will let you choose a different email address but not to leave it blank. The same holds true if you try to do it from the BB itself.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 05-01-2006, 04:41 PM   #18
whsbuss

Quote:
I tried the blackberry primary account as you described since it is indeed the only one that you can do that with and it does not let you change it. It Imported whatever was in the old BWC and set it and it cant be changed you get an error message when you try to change, it will let you choose a different email address but not to leave it blank. The same holds true if you try to do it from the BB itself.
Thanks for taking the time to confirm the primary BB address. I think that even if BBReply was updated to deal with the new BIS (not using Web Client) it would not provide changing/adding a Reply-To header with BIS 2.0

One step forward, two steps back?
Old 05-01-2006, 05:04 PM   #19
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7290

If you want to reply to an email using a different address you can choose to forward it - choose weaht address you want to use from your service books then change the FW in the subject line to RE
Old 05-01-2006, 05:26 PM   #20
KonTiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERDucky
If you want to reply to an email using a different address you can choose to forward it - choose weaht address you want to use from your service books then change the FW in the subject line to RE
Tried it and that does not work either.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Closed Thread