BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 12:13 PM   #41
GMisenar

Model: 7310
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

I spoke to a technician at Verizon, who indicated that the phone needs to be re-activated on a regular basis (monthly). By doing so it downloads all of the most recent policy changes and service information. I travelled between various carriers during the day and would receive the "Data Conneciton Refused" at least daily. After running their re-activation program I have had no problems.
To run the program, go to the phone feature and dial *228. A voice is heard (press 2) and the new programming is downloaded. The Blackberry is reset and a message indicating it was successful.
It seems like a huge burdon to do this (we support quite a few units) although something that may need to be done occassionally if the service is to work properly.
This is Verizon - check with your provider for their process.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:52 PM   #42
mwdraper

Model: 7290
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmiley
Hey guys I was getting the data connection refused on my phone also and have figured out how to make it stop if you have a data plan. My problem and I am sure others is that t-mobile may not be the dominant cell company in the area. In the SE it is Cingular and my phone kept automatically selecting their network to run off of. This connection was refusing the connection. So next time when you see your phone saying t-mobile as network stop what you are doing and go into options screen. Click on network and select manual. It will then ask to find networks to choose from and say yes. Then select the T-mobile option. This will make your phone seek out t-mobile networks first then if none are available it will jump onto another network. Hope this helps!!
Old 04-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #43
fairhsa

Model: 8707v
Carrier: vodafone
Default sounds like good advice... but there is noone else to choose in NZ!

I've had data connection refused since I got back from a trip to Hong Kong - its driving me nuts. I'm HOME so there is no reason why the d**n thing shouldnt work! And there is only ONE blackberry network in NZ!
Old 04-01-2007, 07:31 PM   #44
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairhsa
I've had data connection refused since I got back from a trip to Hong Kong - its driving me nuts. I'm HOME so there is no reason why the d**n thing shouldnt work! And there is only ONE blackberry network in NZ!
Usually pulling the battery will fix that. Along with going to the host routing table in the advanced options and re-registering.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:02 PM   #45
Bizman

Model: 8707
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

In Hong Kong and based in Australia. On Vodafone network. Got the 'data connection refused' message. Tried everything - power off/on, wireless off/on, remove/replace battery, manual scan, change networks, switch from 3G to 2G, etc. Called Vodafone in the end and the tech apologized indicating that they were upgrading their network and I would have to wait for a few hours. Well, as I write this and in less than an hour the service came back up and I got all my emails. Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 08-01-2007, 02:05 PM   #46
klprophett

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cincinnati Bell
Default data connection refused-

i recently purchased a BlackBerry Pearl from my carrier Cincinnati Bell. All was fine with my phone initially. It said Cincinnati Bell at the top of my phone with "EDGE" in the upper right corner. Then all of a sudden it said data connection refused Monday(7/31/07) after I disconnected it from my desktop PC. I dont have a data plan and I dont plan to get one. I just want to use the Pearl for typical things such as Calling other people, sending SMS messages, and sending and receiving Multimedia Picture messages. I can browse the wap.gocbw.com internet just fine which is what I want to do. But i cannot send any picture messages nor can I receive them. Is this something that I need to talk to my carrier about? Or is this something I can fix myself through the phone?
Old 08-01-2007, 02:12 PM   #47
crazydude
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700c
Carrier: att & vzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by klprophett View Post
i recently purchased a BlackBerry Pearl from my carrier Cincinnati Bell. All was fine with my phone initially. It said Cincinnati Bell at the top of my phone with "EDGE" in the upper right corner. Then all of a sudden it said data connection refused Monday(7/31/07) after I disconnected it from my desktop PC. I dont have a data plan and I dont plan to get one. I just want to use the Pearl for typical things such as Calling other people, sending SMS messages, and sending and receiving Multimedia Picture messages. I can browse the wap.gocbw.com internet just fine which is what I want to do. But i cannot send any picture messages nor can I receive them. Is this something that I need to talk to my carrier about? Or is this something I can fix myself through the phone?
MMS uses data, so I guess you get data or you out of luck

you can turn off "data connection refused" by going to
Options >> Mobile Network and turn Data Services to OFF.

hope this helps

Remember search first =>Forum Search

Get Answers From Blackberry Frequently Asked Questions
Old 08-20-2007, 05:06 PM   #48
shadowscream

Model: 7230
Carrier: Vodafone
Default ref data connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused_one View Post
RE: "data connection refused". I get this occasionaly when i pass thru an area that there is not data service. sometimes the BB fails to link back up. It is solved on mine by simply turnong off the wireless settting and then turning it back on. No need to remvoe the battery.

good luck
hi the same happened to me i bought a phone off a seller on amazon it was a vodafone handset so i got a vodofone sim card on pay as u go as i couldnt afford the service plan at the time anyway i installed the new sim setup a swipe card to top up etc then turned the phone on and got Data connection refused so i tried everything else txt phonecalls etc and that was all fine
just couldnt fingure the data message that is until i came across your website and as u said i swithed the phone radio transmitter off for a few seconds then back on and bingo the data message changed to a Vodafone network message and everything is now workine thanks again i hope other people find the same when they try this handy tip
Closed Thread