Old 07-13-2008, 11:08 PM   #1
neil111
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW
Default BB External keyboard advice? - I have BB Thumb

Please Login to Remove!

Hi. Any advice on a portable/folding external keyboard for my VZW 8830? I've found the "Freedom Universal Keyboard", but reviews indicate it doesn't connect well. I'm not too worried about cost -- just need something that works well.

My right hand is just in too much pain to thumb type anymore.
Thanks!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I haven't seen any really good reviews of any BT keyboards. I suggest searching as reviews have been posted in the past.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
neil111

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
I haven't seen any really good reviews of any BT keyboards. I suggest searching as reviews have been posted in the past.

Hi. I have searched here, on on the web generally, and in (gasp ) other blackberry forums. But (unless one of our community members can be so kind to spot some) I haven't find much out there. Some references on Amazon to the iGo keyboard, which according to the mfg has been discontinued. Plus I see the one I originally mentioned for sale, but without much commentary.

That's why I hoped I might find someone who has actually used these and could provide some advice.

Thanks,
- Neil
Old 07-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
SpeedRock

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

my boss has the Freedom Universal Keyboard and he hates it
Old 07-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #5
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780

Just FYI I have the Freedom Universal and love it. Does it have some issues connecting -- sometimes -- almost always worse if the BB is in a case and/or the keyboard's batteries are old. But this keyboard has saved me from lugging a laptop on several business trips. I also keep it with me at home so that I can address business email in off-hours, when necessary. It has worked fine for me.

And no, I am not affiliated with the company in any way except as a user.

Addendum with regard to standards and expectations: If your expectations are that you are getting a keyboard comparable to a desktop computer, then you will be disappointed. The Freedom Wireless is not that good. If your expectations are that you are getting a keyboard comparable to a laptop keyboard, then you may be mildly disappointed. I think it is a a touch worse than a laptop keyboard. If your expectations are that you want to improve the experience of doing extended emails and memos, IdeaMatrrix notes, etc., on the BB while benefitting from not lugging a laptop, then you should be happy.

Last edited by djm2; 08-21-2008 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-17-2008, 08:40 AM   #6
neil111

Thanks very much for the feedback. I will give it a try.
With some more searching I did find this, which seemed like a candid and balanced review here

I'll report back my experience.
- Neil
Old 07-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
Teksu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: PM me
Carrier: Verizon

I dont know if you have seen this before. I dont have any experience with it, but take a look

ThinkGeek :: Bluetooth Laser Virtual Keyboard
Old 08-15-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
MarcDavidMiller

Model: 8820
Carrier: TMobile
Arrow Freedom Keyboard

Greetings,

I just bought a Freedom Keyboard (probably the older version) off ebay.

I bought the keyboard primarily for two uses: 1. Bringing to meetings, and 2. Use while traveling. It is not a good "laptop" device. It is best on a flat surface, which means that it would be difficult to use on a commuter train, in a bar, casual meeting etc. Also, the keyboardxxx8217;s two halves donxxx8217;t lock firmly into a flat unit unfold that firmly. The keyboard is cramped, but useable. I find it is easier to NOT merge the two halves of the keyboard together (as it gives some additional room).

I also did not like the registration/unlock process; why does the manufacturer require a unique unlock code for a hardware device? In their defense, I did get it in a few minutes. Once installed, the Bluetooth connection seems to be reliable (I have not tested it with a Bluetooth headset). Speaking of Bluetooth, I wish there were some hard-wire connection to use during airplane trips...

As mentioned in other reviews, the iGo keyboard is not very practical (being without dedicated number keys), so this is probably the best keyboard currently available for the BlackBerryxxx8217;s.

Last edited by MarcDavidMiller; 08-15-2008 at 08:24 PM..
Old 08-19-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
spiggy

Model: 8900
Carrier: Proximus
Default Man & Machine

Hi all

I just received the Cool MIR from Man & Machine, but it seems not to work on 4.5 OS

I've sent a mail to the company yesterday, no reply yet.

Any of you has experience with M&M keyboards or the company ?

Thx!

Peter

WES 2006, WES 2009, WES 2010, BBWC 2011
Old 09-07-2008, 07:40 AM   #10
coreyoli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
PIN: 305EF621
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teksu View Post
I dont know if you have seen this before. I dont have any experience with it, but take a look

ThinkGeek :: Bluetooth Laser Virtual Keyboard
This device is not BB compatible... Probably isn't that great either, lol.. Cool though...
Old 09-29-2008, 11:21 PM   #11
dlphelps1953

Model: 8110
Carrier: AT&T
Unhappy RE BB External Keyboard Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiggy View Post
Hi all

I just received the Cool MIR from Man & Machine, but it seems not to work on 4.5 OS
Doesn't work on BBpearl 8110s period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiggy View Post
I've sent a mail to the company yesterday, no reply yet.

Any of you has experience with M&M keyboards or the company ?

Thx!

Peter
Have here. Spent a week trying just about everything, including
talking over the phone with an M&M tech. Their documentaton
says...

> Tested BlackBerrys for CoolMIR Keyboard V4.0:
> Handheld software version in parenthesis.
> BlackBerry6210, 6220, 6230, 6280, 6510, 7100g, 7100r, 7100t,
> 7105t, 7100v, 7100x, 7130e, 7210, 7230, 7250, 7270, 7280, 7290,
> 7510, 7520, 8700c(4.1,4.2.1), 8700g(4.1,4.2.1), 8700r(4.1,4.2.1),
> 8703e(4.1,4.2.1), 8100(4.2.1), 8130(4.3), 8300(4.2.2),
> 8310(4.2.2), 8320(4.2.1), 8800(4.2.1), 8820(4.2.1) and 8830(4.2.1).

and...

> The keyboard may or may not work with BlackBerrys that are not in
> the "Tested BlackBerrys" list above and any future release BlackBerrys
> or handheld software versions.

so they have covered their bases. I have a carefully worded email
in Outlook drafts feeling for a return I suspect they won't do.
My CoolMIR is headed for Amazon if I can't get a refund.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #12
pixelfairy

Carrier: t-mobile

Any good keyboard for use in a lap? most of the online reviews seem to ignore that.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #13
GLOCKshooter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900

i-Go is not compatible with 4.5 OS, and they have no plans to update the software, as the product is discontinued. bummer, I got a DEAL on 4 of them, that are all useless to me. I bough one Freedom for my mom's 8800, and she loves it.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:59 AM   #14
chrismacsween
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: 205D8AAC
Carrier: 02
Default In defence of the Bluetooth external keyboard

Hi, This is Chris from Freedom Input again.

I would have responded much earlier to this thread but I obviously missed it when it originated in the summer. Sorry

Can I address some of the points raised in this thread?

Working backwards,
It is always better to use our Freedom Universal on a hard surface, rather than directly on a lap, as it will then not put too much stress on the folding mechanism. Even a book on your lap under the keyboard will be enough to protect the hinge from over flexing.
I certainly work on both commuter trains and on airplanes (in flight mode) with my Bold and the keyboard regularly. If I couldn't productively use my travelling time to go through all my emails etc, I would have to spend far longer in my office than I do now. I also use the keyboard in meetings and conferences to make notes on my BB as I go along.
For me, as has been mentioned in this thread, it certainly beats lugging a laptop around with me.

To answer MarcDavidMiller, you have got the original Freedom keyboard which we have not produced since the summer of 2006. The Freedom Universal is a much more spacious layout and therefore much easier to use.
Also you can use the Bluetooth connection on an airplane:
Source: Safety Evaluation of Bluetooth Class ISM Band Transmitters on board Commercial Aircraft Revision 2
Date: December 28, 2000 Author: Intel Mobile Architecture Lab
Excerp: Detailed analysis of the emission levels, propagation losses and aircraft system vulnerability to
electromagnetic interference show that the intentional emissions and the spurious emissions from Bluetooth
devices are at levels that cannot cause interference to aircraft systems. The analyses therefore support the
empirical test and confirm that Bluetooth by itself is safe for use in aircraft while in flight.

To make our keyboard product progression clear,
We first produced the Freedom Original keyboard -now discontinued.
We replaced this with the Freedom Universal which still required unlock codes.
We replaced this with the Freedom Universal 2 which has an "Easy Set Up" and no longer requires an unlock code to download the driver.

We are now working on the next version of the keyboard driver which will automatically update the "Keystroke Injection" or "Input Simulation" settings that are required on a BB during the download.

The Freedom Universal will work with all BlackBerry devices unless the BB is on a BES and the Administrator has denied access to third party applications.

I hope the above is helpful but please come back to me directly if you need any further help.

Chris Macsween.

Freedom Input Ltd.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:23 AM   #15
pixelfairy

can you make one with a better locking mechanism? There are many times when a hard surface is not available, and i dont want to carry a board or a book around just for the keyboard. thanks.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:51 AM   #16
chrismacsween
Thumbs Must Hurt

It's a good idea and we have looked at it and discussed it.

The problem is you would have to substantially reinforce the existing locking mechanism which would increase the size, weight and cost of the keyboard significantly.
Even if you could live with the much higher cost, I am not sure you would want to carry around a keyboard that was so much larger and so much heavier? It starts to defeat the object and you might as well go back to a laptop. And believe me, it is SO much easier when travelling with a BB and a keyboard.

It is very often much easier than you think to find something to rest your keyboard on. Trains and airplanes very often have pull down tables from the seat in front -or if you are lucky, you can get a train seat with a proper table (a luxury I seldom manage) .
In a meeting, you generally have a table in fron of you.
And if you are carrying a briefcase -problem solved.
The space you need to perch your keyboard on doesn't need to be very big, after all and the keyboard has an integral easel to hold your BB too.

The other option is to go for our new Freedom Slim Keypad which is a lot smaller and doesn't fold.
I'm not sure I can include a link here, but if you go on our website, you will see it.

Let me know what you think.

Chris Macsween.

Freedom Input Ltd.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #17
grnerak

Model: 8100
Carrier: att

I cannot get the freedom universal keyboard2 to do anything. The user guide is useless once you get past the installation process. I cannot select text in my email, I cannot key in the characters on the "A through L" keys. There is nothing that tells me what the Alt Gr or the ? battery+ keys are for. I had high hopes for this keyboard but thus far it has been a waste of money and time.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:02 AM   #18
chrismacsween
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi,

Don't worry, we are here to help you.
I understand you are on our support suite at the moment and I believe we are answering all your queries as I write this.

Let me know if you have any further problems. We try very hard to provide good customer service.

Chris Macsween.

Freedom Input Ltd.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:32 AM   #19
pixelfairy

this might seem like a strange request but, from what i understand (i may be mistaken) but one way to prevent carpal tunnel is keeping your wrists flat with your arms, so if the table is higher your need to angle your keyboard. could you make that an option for your next design?

How about the keyboard folding up with the keys on the outside with a removeable cover to keep them from wearing out?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #20
chrismacsween
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi,

This is Chris again.

Can you tell me the advantage of the keys being on the outside, because I can't see why that would be an advantage -but I may be being very stupid here!

Chris Macsween.

Freedom Input Ltd.
Closed Thread