BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 01:59 PM   #1
mo-bile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default SIM card question

Please Login to Remove!

I'm with Tmobile, currently using a SE T610. I want to add a BB 7230.

If I add data capabilities to my current phone plan, can I just swap out SIM cards between the two whenever I want? There are occasions where I just don't want to carry around the blackberry (such as going out to a bar, club, dinner, etc...).

It's cheaper to do it this way, rather than paying for my regular phone plan and just add data only to the blackberry.

Current phone plan - $39/mo
Add data only plan for BB - additional $39/mo

Total - $78/mo

or,

Add data plan to existing phone plan and swap sims - $69/mo
Old 08-16-2004, 02:10 PM   #2
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers

Yea, as long as you have the blackberry Data and your Phone on one sim card, you would be able to swap 'em.

But be forwarned, the sim card can be easily broken in half, and the sim card holder can be damaged as well.

Try searching ebay and getting a blank sim card and reader, that way you could make an exact copy of your sim card and use it in both devices.. just dont use them at the same time.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:19 PM   #3
mo-bile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess
Yea, as long as you have the blackberry Data and your Phone on one sim card, you would be able to swap 'em.

But be forwarned, the sim card can be easily broken in half, and the sim card holder can be damaged as well.

Try searching ebay and getting a blank sim card and reader, that way you could make an exact copy of your sim card and use it in both devices.. just dont use them at the same time.
Ah, now that's a good idea.

BTW, what would happen if both devices were on at the same time?

Also, will the BB data plan do anything for the T610?
Old 08-16-2004, 02:30 PM   #4
Tom
Admin & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo-bile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess

Ah, now that's a good idea.

BTW, what would happen if both devices were on at the same time?

Also, will the BB data plan do anything for the T610?
Your WAP internet would work.
If they were on at the same time they would blow up.

Naw, just kidding, but I think neither of them would work as they are trying to fight each other with registering on the network.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:51 PM   #5
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

Just get the unlimited T-Zones on your voice plan, swap sims. I do that all day long for customers, it's cheaper and still lets you use another BES server without incuring a boat load of data charges. Again as stated above, BE CAREFUL with the SIM card, you might get lucky and a T-Mobile rep may replace it for you if you break it, however most of the time we charge.

-Goth

Please use the Search feature to find a quick answer.

[url]htt
Old 08-16-2004, 03:54 PM   #6
mo-bile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothalyptic
Just get the unlimited T-Zones on your voice plan, swap sims. I do that all day long for customers, it's cheaper and still lets you use another BES server without incuring a boat load of data charges. Again as stated above, BE CAREFUL with the SIM card, you might get lucky and a T-Mobile rep may replace it for you if you break it, however most of the time we charge.

-Goth
Ok, I'm assuming this would work just fine to access my corporate email?
Old 08-16-2004, 06:05 PM   #7
Tom
Admin & Founder

Quote:
Quote:

-Goth
Ok, I'm assuming this would work just fine to access my corporate email?
It should. There is no better way to seeing if it works then trying it.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:58 AM   #8
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

To get the corporate email fowarded to your BB, you'd have to have one of two things:

BB service through T-Mobile, or subscribe to a 3rd party BES/MDS service such as myblackberry.us. I use ATT voice service, with a 10MB mMode add on, and pay myblackberry 10 bucks a month, forward your corporate email to the @myblackberry.us account and poof, it all gets pushed. Best of all it keeps your service provider out of the loop, which means less headaches on your part if something goes wrong, as myblackberry.us stands behind their service 110%.

-Goth

[url]htt
Old 08-17-2004, 12:56 PM   #9
mo-bile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
To get the corporate email fowarded to your BB, you'd have to have one of two things:

BB service through T-Mobile, or subscribe to a 3rd party BES/MDS service such as myblackberry.us. I use ATT voice service, with a 10MB mMode add on, and pay myblackberry 10 bucks a month, forward your corporate email to the @myblackberry.us account and poof, it all gets pushed. Best of all it keeps your service provider out of the loop, which means less headaches on your part if something goes wrong, as myblackberry.us stands behind their service 110%.

-Goth
I don't want corporate email forwarded to the BB. I can get that setup through my company.

I'm asking about accessing personal email without having to have it forwarded to one email address on the BB.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:59 PM   #10
mo-bile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

-Goth
So let me get this straight.

Call Tmobile. Add unlimited T-Zones for $4.99/mo to my current phone plan with the T610.

Buy the BB. And then just swap the sim card and that's it? Do I need to call Tmobile to activate the BB or will it just automatically work by putting the sim card in it with T-zones?

I don't plan on swapping sims every day...i would expect probably once a week at most. 90% of the time I'll be using the BB.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:09 PM   #11
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

don't mention word of the BB to T-Mobile or they WILL get you on a blackberry plan, just tell them to add the 4.99 T-Zones to you plan, then swap cards and you're set. The BB will work once you pop the sim in. HOWEVER to get the email push and everything else a BES will offer you, check out myblackberry.us for $10 to get the email push and everything else.

[url]htt
Old 08-17-2004, 01:44 PM   #12
mo-bile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
don't mention word of the BB to T-Mobile or they WILL get you on a blackberry plan, just tell them to add the 4.99 T-Zones to you plan, then swap cards and you're set. The BB will work once you pop the sim in. HOWEVER to get the email push and everything else a BES will offer you, check out myblackberry.us for $10 to get the email push and everything else.
Thanks for the info. I'll be getting setup on my company's BES though.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:45 PM   #13
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

Then you'll be good to go once you get the T-zones put on, and get the BB configured.

[url]htt
Old 08-17-2004, 04:19 PM   #14
mo-bile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Then you'll be good to go once you get the T-zones put on, and get the BB configured.
Thanks again. one last quesiton. Will regular unlimited t-zones work or do I need t-zones pro for this?
Old 08-18-2004, 07:06 PM   #15
mo-bile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok, one more question.

Amazon is offering BB 7230 for $99 with activation. I'm already a TMO subscriber and don't want to add a second phone number. However I would qualify if i just purchase the internet plan for $39/mo. and get this offer.

So, let me know if this would work.

I buy the BB, order the internet plan, activate it, get it for $99.

I take the sim card out of my T610 that has T-zones on it and put it in the BB. Will it now work under my existing phone number? Or is it somehow locked to the new activation plan?

I have 14 days to cancel the contract for the unlimited internet right?

Does this make sense?
Old 08-22-2004, 08:25 AM   #16
Skive
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
If its going on your company BES then you most likely won't be able to dodge a blackberry data plan since theres stuff like service blocking where they don't let you access stuff they can't bill your carrier for, a lot of bwc users have encountered this when trying to add their blackberry to a bes.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:07 AM   #17
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

It works on T-mobile, at least it has for my customers *shrugs*. ATT wireless recently redid systems and doesn't work for them anymore. A co-worker does the same though with the T-zones and myblackberry.us and hasn't had problems, I will have to find out more it seems. Sorry if I provided bad information, this is what I was being told by my co-worker and by my customers.

[url]htt
Old 08-22-2004, 11:58 AM   #18
mo-bile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skive
Quote:
If its going on your company BES then you most likely won't be able to dodge a blackberry data plan since theres stuff like service blocking where they don't let you access stuff they can't bill your carrier for, a lot of bwc users have encountered this when trying to add their blackberry to a bes.
Yep. I have since asked my IT dept. if the blackberry data service was required to work with our BES or if I could get away with just tzones, and I was told the data service is required. No biggie.

Curious though, what specific types of things can they block?
Old 08-24-2004, 02:45 PM   #19
AMCELL J
Thumbs Must Hurt

Goth, could you please explain this to me....I have a 50 mb (VPN) internet data plan and I want to make my blackberry 7230 work but of course I cant....could you please help me? what do I need to change on the configuration? you can feel free to PM me if you want but I am sure if you post here a lot of people could benefit from it!

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 08-24-2004, 03:05 PM   #20
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

I don't know, I asked Steve, my co-worker that had done it, he's not sure how it worked either but it was. He's got service books and everything set up. What I'm thinking is he's confussed, which in turn is confussing me. I think he's on a BB plan and doesn't know it. It's the only guess I can come up with sinse I'm still kinda new to the BB scene as well. I tried to call one customer who had done the same, however they ended up going to a BB plan themselves so my road has ended :(. Sorry for any confussion, I'm just a relay of what was done for a customer and a co-worker which was weird the way they said it was done. Sorry for any confussion I've caused was relaying what I was told.

[url]htt
Closed Thread