Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
pawn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell
Default Video Conversion for 8330 owners

Please Login to Remove!

Who knows, maybe this is good for all OS 4.3+ users. After struggling for days now trying to find a video format that will play on my Curve 8330, I finally hit the magic combination:

@echo off
echo %1
C:\Progra~1\eRight~1\SUPER\ffmpeg -i %1 -vcodec mpeg4 -s 320x240 -qscale 10 -b 250 -ab 48k -ar 22050 -ac 2 -acodec aac "c:\bbvids\%~n1.3gp"

PAUSE

The above is meant to be cut a pasted into a batch file (e.g.: convert.bat) on your desktop. Just drag and drop a video file onto the batch file icon and it will spit out the converted file into c:\bbvids\. You need to create this directory and you also need to have FFmpeg installed on your machine (the path I show is where Super installs it).

Believe me, I tried everything I could. First, mencoder simply can't create a usuable file as far as I can tel (which means the BB Video Converter won;t work either)l. Second, your output file must be named 3gp, not avi. Other than that, who knows why FFMpeg is successful where so many other programs wouldn't work for me. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
labman

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I assume that is to be converted on the PC and transferred to the BB. Do you know of any software that I can download to my BB and have it convert video files on the BB?
Old 07-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
chuchopotamo

Carrier: Sprint

I need a little help.

I got a copy of ffmpeg.rar and I extracted the files into a folder on my desktop (3 files). Afterwards, I created the directory for the output file. Then I created a batch file using the code you provided (pointing everything to the correct path).

After I drag and drop a movie, the following error appears

unknown encoder acc.

How can I fix this?
Old 08-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
braincode

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawn View Post

@echo off
echo %1
C:\Progra~1\eRight~1\SUPER\ffmpeg -i %1 -vcodec mpeg4 -s 320x240 -qscale 10 -b 250 -ab 48k -ar 22050 -ac 2 -acodec aac "c:\bbvids\%~n1.3gp"

PAUSE

The above is meant to be cut a pasted into a batch file (e.g.: convert.bat) on your desktop. Just drag and drop a video file onto the batch file icon and it will spit out the converted file into c:\bbvids\. You need to create this directory and you also need to have FFmpeg installed on your machine (the path I show is where Super installs it).
This worked *flawlessly* for my 8330. The batch script worked like a charm, and the converted video file plays great. Thank you, pawn!
Old 11-20-2008, 04:43 AM   #5
dldydgns

Model: 8830
Carrier: sprint
Default How to play media file in BB8330...

@echo off
echo %1
ffmpeg -i %1 -vcodec mpeg4 -s 320x240 -qscale 10 -b 250 -ab 48k -ar 22050 -ac 2 -acodec libfaac "%~n1.3gp"

PAUSE

Last edited by dldydgns; 11-20-2008 at 04:50 AM..
Old 11-20-2008, 08:29 AM   #6
Silversmok3
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I cannot say fort sure whether this step will work for your 8330,but for my 8310 Blackberry converter works just fine.

Yesterday I converted two movies from MPEG4 format to AVI for my Curve.

I then transferred it to the SD card and found that the Blackberry didn't see the video.

Another trip to the PC discovered why.When Blackberry converter saved the file it failed to add the .avi extension to the filename,so my Curve didn't know that my finished videos were actually playable.

After fixing the file extension my Curve is quite happy playing my movies now,and without any lag at all.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
mattington

Carrier: Telus

THANK YOU...

For people who just google this and stumble here (like I did),

First - instal Super...google Super + video for the link, you only need the free version.

Second - open notepad and copy and paste the above section ending with PAUSE.

Third - In notepad go to file, then save as, now click on the desktop icon on your left (or desktop in your tree direcory) and RENAME your file to "convert.bat" (without the quotations) then click save.

You now have a file on your desktop with a little gear in it.

Fourth - open File Explorer (or just press n hold the windows button then tap e once) and create a new directory in your C: drive called "bbvids" (again with the quotations)

Now you can just drag files onto that icon with the gear and it will open a dos window and convert your files for you. They get saved to, you guessed it, C:/bbvids. I've been hunting for days on the best way to do this and this is by far the ultimate solution. Thanks all should go to Pawn for it is his batch file that makes this work.

Cheers,

Mattington

-FYI I only joined this forum to THANK pawn for this, please send him your thanks too if you founf this useful.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #8
bbnomad

Carrier: telus
Default HD conversion

Thanks also to pawn for the batch file - works perfectly. The only change I made was for converting HD vids from 1280x720. You can change the size in the batch file from 320x240 to 320x180. This will give you the proper aspect ratio of 16:9.

BBNomad
Old 03-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
RetiredGator

I tried to view three different videos on my 8330. I used the batch file to convert them and the conversion seemed to proceed to completion (no error messages). I then transferred the three resulting files to my 8330. None of them would play. Instead, I get a message stating "An error has occurred attempting to play media." What am I doing wrong?
Old 05-31-2009, 09:33 PM   #10
jackidd

Default cannot find file specified

when i drag a file onto the batch file my cmd prompt says it cant find the file specified. i have tried moving the file to different locations, but no luck. is the problem my file being of .avi type? is it because i have vista x64? please help
Old 06-01-2009, 12:16 AM   #11
PastorGadget

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve XRR0)

Verizon's version of BB Desktop Manager comes with a basic version of Roxio Media Manager. Roxio will convert videos when you simply drag and drop within their "file manager." No batch file needed. You should be able to download the latest (rather large) version of Desktop Manager + Media at BlackBerry.com
Old 06-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #12
llbhi50

Default Need Help on What to Do Next with SUPER for converting BB video

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattington View Post
THANK YOU...

For people who just google this and stumble here (like I did),

First - instal Super...google Super + video for the link, you only need the free version.

Second - open notepad and copy and paste the above section ending with PAUSE.

Third - In notepad go to file, then save as, now click on the desktop icon on your left (or desktop in your tree direcory) and RENAME your file to "convert.bat" (without the quotations) then click save.

You now have a file on your desktop with a little gear in it.

Fourth - open File Explorer (or just press n hold the windows button then tap e once) and create a new directory in your C: drive called "bbvids" (again with the quotations)

Now you can just drag files onto that icon with the gear and it will open a dos window and convert your files for you. They get saved to, you guessed it, C:/bbvids. I've been hunting for days on the best way to do this and this is by far the ultimate solution. Thanks all should go to Pawn for it is his batch file that makes this work.

Cheers,

Mattington

-FYI I only joined this forum to THANK pawn for this, please send him your thanks too if you founf this useful.
I was able to get all the way to dragging my BB video files onto the convert icon and it saving in the C:/bbvids. But, NOW WHAT? Do I use SUPER to open/view the file? I don't get how to use SUPER. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Thank you!
Old 07-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #13
y2skippy

Model: 8830

I just found an even better solution than creating a batch file: download the freeware Xvid4PSP. This software supports many different Formats including "MP4 BlackBerry 8830". I took the default settings and it created a .mp4 file that played great on my 8830. This software is also great for the iPod and PSP. And it is very quick - if you have a decent machine.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #14
coolvirus

Carrier: verizon

I have a couple of children's songs videos that I downloaded from youtube (for my son). The videos are in FLV format. I have tried a few different converters, including the Super/batch file method described here and none of the converted files play. I always get the dreaded "An error has occurred attempting to play media" error message.

I have tried converting to wma, mpg, mp4 and the Super/batch file method successfully converts my files to 3gp and while they all play succesfully in my PC, they just don't play on my Curve 8330 (with verizon). This is so frustrating.

I'm going to try the Roxio to see if that makes any difference.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #15
turn_key
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330m
PIN: G PAL4 Putter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvirus View Post
I have a couple of children's songs videos that I downloaded from youtube (for my son). The videos are in FLV format. I have tried a few different converters, including the Super/batch file method described here and none of the converted files play. I always get the dreaded "An error has occurred attempting to play media" error message.

I have tried converting to wma, mpg, mp4 and the Super/batch file method successfully converts my files to 3gp and while they all play succesfully in my PC, they just don't play on my Curve 8330 (with verizon). This is so frustrating.

3gp and avi always gave me a problem too. Roxio works but it's slow. I've had the same problems and posted this a while ago. I use DVD Catalyst 3 with no problems.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #16
purcy

Model: 9630

Quote:

try this website, you just copy and paste the URL of the youtube video page you want to save into that top box and you should then get two options, one to save a low quality .flv or one to save as high quality .mp4. Just save it as an .mp4 - now I have not tried to play that .mp4 on my BB but at least you have an .mp4 that you can convert using these instructions on this thread.

KeepVid: Download and save any video from Youtube, Dailymotion, Metacafe, iFilm and more!
Old 10-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #17
coolvirus

Carrier: verizon

Thanks for the suggestion. I went to Keepvid.com and downloaded some of the videos from youtube as mp4. I copied them to the blackberry as such but they didn't play. I didn't get the error message I was getting though. This time the video player seemed to get caught in this vicious loop where it looked like the video tried to play but then it stopped and tried to play from the beginning again and it kept doing this over and over again until I had to close the media player.

I also converted the mp4 videos to 3gp using the Super/batch file and transferred those to the blackberry but again got that "media unsuported" error message.

Could it be that the media player on the phone is buggy? Is it possible to uninstall and install again? If so, how is it done?
Old 10-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #18
turn_key
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330m
PIN: G PAL4 Putter

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I went to Keepvid.com and downloaded some of the videos from youtube as mp4. I copied them to the blackberry as such but they didn't play. I didn't get the error message I was getting though. This time the video player seemed to get caught in this vicious loop where it looked like the video tried to play but then it stopped and tried to play from the beginning again and it kept doing this over and over again until I had to close the media player.

I also converted the mp4 videos to 3gp using the Super/batch file and transferred those to the blackberry but again got that "media unsuported" error message.

Could it be that the media player on the phone is buggy? Is it possible to uninstall and install again? If so, how is it done?
The mp4s from keepvid are beyond what the media player can play, but are more compatible to convert. When I converted anything to 3gp it was hit or miss, and sometimes I couldn't play the same video twice. If you have a program that has presets for ipod those worked the best for me.

I'm not sure about uninstalling the media player but I don't think it would help, especially with formats it has trouble playing anyway.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #19
James123

Model: 9530

Quote:

If these mp4 can be played in your PC (but unable to load at your BB), it probably is your BB OS version causing the problem. By the way, I also use a free app for video sharing. With this app, I can send/receive videos to/from my bb buddies without worrying about file size. Download is available at m .youcast.net/blackberry.html Detail info at www . youcast . net (no space in url)

Last edited by James123; 10-14-2009 at 03:26 PM..
Closed Thread